E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #221
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
That's what basic will do to you, I bet he is an inch taller too from learning to stand up straight.

Without a doubt my posture issues from before basic are a thing of the past. I ended up losing 2" off my waist and 10 pounds in basic. I lifted all this week though, and I'm really shocked to see my numbers haven't plumetted by as much as I thought. I'd say I retained close to 75% of my old numbers, so this should be interesting now. I'm done with running now except for stupid AF tech school PT 3x a week for 30 minutes, but thats irrelevant. So its bulk season for me now. The food on my current base is absolutely awful, so I may have to invest in a mass gainer.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #222
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post

Without a doubt my posture issues from before basic are a thing of the past. I ended up losing 2" off my waist and 10 pounds in basic. I lifted all this week though, and I'm really shocked to see my numbers haven't plumetted by as much as I thought. I'd say I retained close to 75% of my old numbers, so this should be interesting now. I'm done with running now except for stupid AF tech school PT 3x a week for 30 minutes, but thats irrelevant. So its bulk season for me now. The food on my current base is absolutely awful, so I may have to invest in a mass gainer.
like I said in that text, definitely get a gainer and lots of jars of natural pb. You need to get back up there. I hope you're wrong about keeping 75% of your strength. A 25% drop is a lot. On a 250lb squat that would take you down to 187.5. But regardless, if you keep at it and get some cals you'll be back where you were. Your body will remember.

Last edited by DylloS; 11-11-2013 at 01:04 PM.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #223
bostonsc4

BostonSC4's Progress Log

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1386905443.427256.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	538493

A one month progress shot from the day I graduated basic training and weighed 145lb to today when I weighed in at 159. My numbers have gone up past what they were before basic. I've been having incredible workouts almost every day.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by bostonsc4; 12-13-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #224
DylloS

BostonSC4's Progress Log

Look so much better man

Old 12-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #225
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled

I'm about to post my 6 months progress shot

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #226
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Looking better, keep it up solider.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #227
bostonsc4

So lately my workouts have been incredibly solid. All I do here at tech school is go to school, lift, and eat, repeat. Yesterday on chest day I got 185 up for 5, then 4 then 3, tried 225 and got it with a small amount of help. Not there on my own yet. Tonight I deadlifted 315 for the second time in my life. I have tried to the past 2 weeks and failed, but tonight I just put my head to it and pulled 315. Such an incredible feeling. My plan right now is just purely bulking. I'm eating everything I can and lifting as heavy as I can. I graduate tech school on April 3rd, and by then I hope to be 165lbs. I'm currently at 158/159ish. If I can bulk to 165 then I think I'm going to change my routine and begin a cutting phase to get more like I looked the day I graduated basic BUT with the same muscle mass I currently have.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #228
DylloS

Quote:
So lately my workouts have been incredibly solid. All I do here at tech school is go to school, lift, and eat, repeat. Yesterday on chest day I got 185 up for 5, then 4 then 3, tried 225 and got it with a small amount of help. Not there on my own yet. Tonight I deadlifted 315 for the second time in my life. I have tried to the past 2 weeks and failed, but tonight I just put my head to it and pulled 315. Such an incredible feeling. My plan right now is just purely bulking. I'm eating everything I can and lifting as heavy as I can. I graduate tech school on April 3rd, and by then I hope to be 165lbs. I'm currently at 158/159ish. If I can bulk to 165 then I think I'm going to change my routine and begin a cutting phase to get more like I looked the day I graduated basic BUT with the same muscle mass I currently have.
don't change routine to cut. Change diet and cardio.

What is your routine now?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #229
bostonsc4

So tonight I'm not really sure what got into me, but I deadlifted 315 for 5 reps and did two sets of that. I have a video on my phone and I'm disappointed in the quality but I'll post it up in a second. I have switched to sumo stance for deadlift, and the difference is amazing. I wonder what my 1RM on deadlift is with sumo stance if I'm pulling 315 for 5, 2 sets in a row.

I just read through Solly's 3 month plan and I really like the idea of that. I'm wondering if I could benefit myself from a 3 month in advance regiment that I create with goals to hit and stuff etc. However, the way I structure my workouts now has seemingly been working great. I essentially begin my workouts with a warm up, and the first thing I do every time is my power movement. I'll do that most taxing movement first, BB bench, DL, BS, DB military press, etc. Go light to heavy as possible, ending in the 1-3 rep range, then pyramid back down and do a burnout set. Then move on to more isolated movements for the particular muscle group of the day and do the same kind of principle light to heavy to very light. I've seen excellent progress doing this so far, and I sort of make up what I want to do as I go and just pulverize the muscle group.

Looking for critique! All is welcome. I can tell on a couple of reps that I use more back than legs which makes me want to correct it next time. Sumo stance definitely requires less physical travel of the bar, but I love it.

Last edited by bostonsc4; 01-06-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #230
DylloS

BostonSC4's Progress Log

Seems like a great plan. Something about creating a 3 month plan makes me really excited. It's a lot of fun to plan and throw up on a wall and see what's next.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #231
bostonsc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Seems like a great plan. Something about creating a 3 month plan makes me really excited. It's a lot of fun to plan and throw up on a wall and see what's next.

Yeah man I really liked what you posted up. I may do the same thing and see what I think of it. What I love the most about having no "set" plan is that you just show up to the gym and work based on how you feel. If I'm feeling great I'll do heavier weight etc. I know the CT Fletch and Mike Rashid methodology is really not the best way to workout, haha but I like the mental intensity they bring to the game.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #232
DylloS

BostonSC4's Progress Log

Quote:
Yeah man I really liked what you posted up. I may do the same thing and see what I think of it. What I love the most about having no "set" plan is that you just show up to the gym and work based on how you feel. If I'm feeling great I'll do heavier weight etc. I know the CT Fletch and Mike Rashid methodology is really not the best way to workout, haha but I like the mental intensity they bring to the game.
The problem with that plan is that you'll favor strengths and ignore weaknesses a lot. I like laying it out there so I can't ignore something. If I so I beat myself up in my head.

Last edited by DylloS; 01-06-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #233
bostonsc4

Quote:
The problem with that plan is that you'll favor strengths and ignore weaknesses a lot. I like laying it out there so I can't ignore something. If I so I beat myself up in my head.

Never thought of that! Maybe I'll consider a membership at Stronger.U and start working on that kind of stuff.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #234
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
bostonsc
re: your 315x5 sumo DL

i'd recommend that you reset your form between each rep
you can see that your center of gravity shifts WAY forward, the ones where you're using your back with hips up already
stop after each rep, settle your hips down, keep your chests up and open then pull again

with sumo stance, you can keep your center of gravity more directly over the bar (as long as you open your hips and get the legs out of the way)
and there is less "leverage" action needed at the hips
but you will need a bit more from your quads
for me, i prefer the normal over sumo but i am doing more and more sumo since i want to utilize everything
actually did 315 with sumo stance tonight for the first time
felt good
usually i only do sumo up to 285 and do normal stance for anything over 315
but i think i've gotten a lot stronger in the past few weeks with my squats which is helping with sumo DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 01-06-2014 at 10:31 PM.
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #235
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
bostonsc
re: your 315x5 sumo DL

i'd recommend that you reset your form between each rep
you can see that your center of gravity shifts WAY forward, the ones where you're using your back with hips up already
stop after each rep, settle your hips down, keep your chests up and open then pull again

with sumo stance, you can keep your center of gravity more directly over the bar (as long as you open your hips and get the legs out of the way)
and there is less "leverage" action needed at the hips
but you will need a bit more from your quads
for me, i prefer the normal over sumo but i am doing more and more sumo since i want to utilize everything
actually did 315 with sumo stance tonight for the first time
felt good
usually i only do sumo up to 285 and do normal stance for anything over 315
but i think i've gotten a lot stronger in the past few weeks with my squats which is helping with sumo DL
agreed
Old 01-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #236
bostonsc4

Hit legs tonight. What a fantastic workout. Back squat for the majority and really surprised myself.

warm up, 135 ATG to stretch out, 185 for 5, 225 for 3, 275 for 2, 225 for 10, 135 for 20 for 2 sets.

Isolated leg work, extensions / contractions / calf work etc.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #237
DylloS

Warm up with the bar first. Don't jump right into the weights.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #238
bostonsc4

Quote:
Warm up with the bar first. Don't jump right into the weights.

Did that sir! Forgot to mention what the warm up was, just treated it as a thing in itself not worth listing.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #239
bostonsc4

I've realized I am not eating enough to maximize my progress in terms of size. My strength is going up significantly but my size / mass is not. My new numbers:

DL: 325
BB Bench: 205
Squat 295
Shoulder Press: 135
------------------------------
Total: 960lb moving max

Weight: 157.4 on empty stomach this past weekend.

I'm stuck on this freakin Navy base for 2 more months with limited servings of BS for food (Solly has seen the horredness) so I'm not sure what to do but try to eat more.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #240
bostonsc4

Up to low 160's now in the AM on the scale! Definitely improvements being made. I had a hell of a chest day tonight. I'm focusing in different areas for a little while to mix things up a bit. Tonight we focused on incline.

45s for warm up for 12, 60s for 8, 70s for 3, 85s for 5, 80s for 10, 70s for 12
Decline BB: 185 for 5 sets of 4-6 reps, drop set at 135 for idk somewhere past 15
Flat BB: 185 for 4, 135 for 12
Pec flies AMRAP x 3

I'm getting so much stronger and it looks like the size is coming very VERY slowly. I'm afraid the few extra pounds are just the creatine I started back on last week though