E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
Bad csb??

Ive been trying to figure out a vibration issue ive been having. at first it felt like it was coming from the rear, then it felt like it was coming from the front. i currently have 129k miles, control arms and fcab (powerflex), rtab (powerflex), st coilovers, were all done at 92k miles. ive tried different sets of wheels / tires with no improvement in vibration. now im starting to think its coming from the driveline. it doesnt get worse with higher RPM's, but the whole car would shake at freeway speeds, not as noticeable around town. i crawled under the car today and this is what i saw:

guibo is starting to crack

oil residue at the joint

CSB doesnt look too bad, but feels pretty loose

is the driveshaft supposed to move this freely?

VIDEO LINK:

rear diff bushing, nice and tight

Please let me know what you think, any feedback would be appreciated

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
M3Froi

My Ride: 2005 M3 ZCP
I have a similar issue as well, but my vibration comes at lower speeds (<10mph). I haven't physically inspected my guibo, but I suspect that to be the issue. Also, CSB's usually tend to cause vibration at higher speeds so you may be right. You might as well replace both while you have the exhaust dropped. Wouldn't hurt to inspect your tranny mounts also. Not sure what could be causing the leakage, which has me wondering if my driveshaft exhibits that too.
M3Froi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
benn0154

My Ride: 2005 M3 Vert
Given that the residue is located directly in line with the U-joint, I would be concerned about the bearings in that joint. If it were my car, I would replace the guibo, the CSB, and feel carefully for any play or rough motion in the U-joint. Consider a re-built drive shaft.

Based on my experience, the wear to the guibo and CSB is probably worse than it appears. When no parts are moving, those joints are all unloaded. However, apply engine torque and those "cracks" in the guibo will look more like the tears that they are.

The longer you drive with driveline vibrations, the quicker you will grenade your tranny and or diff.

Good luck!
benn0154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Both the CSB and Giubo need to be replaced. No it is not supposed to move that much, but even a new support will have some movement.

The u-joint grease fling is quite normal for any mileage. Check that the joint has no play in it and reinstall. There are very few driveline rebuilds that are worth a damn... buy new if there is significant play (even a little is ok for quite some time). Also clean the rear CV completely, regrease and reinstall a new mating surface seal.

As far as grenading your diff or transmission... unlikely.

Central California BMW Parts Swap
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526941747526167/

Last edited by braymond141; 10-25-2013 at 11:54 PM.
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Froi View Post
I have a similar issue as well, but my vibration comes at lower speeds (<10mph). I haven't physically inspected my guibo, but I suspect that to be the issue. Also, CSB's usually tend to cause vibration at higher speeds so you may be right. You might as well replace both while you have the exhaust dropped. Wouldn't hurt to inspect your tranny mounts also. Not sure what could be causing the leakage, which has me wondering if my driveshaft exhibits that too.
Incorrect. A failed center support bearing will cause low rpm rumbles/slapping and fade out as the speed increases. It is more notable from a dead stop and punching it.

Central California BMW Parts Swap
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526941747526167/
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
itscoo2pyopants

Bad csb??

So I replaced the csb and guibo. The driveline has just as much play as with the old csb. Also replaced transmission mounts and steering coupler. Took it for a spin and an still experiencing vibration.

The whole car shakes at freeway speeds. Around town it's not as noticeable. Next I plan on changing out the Fcab to OEM to see if that will absorb some of the vibration.

Not sure what else it can be. Didn't notice anything unusual under the car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by itscoo2pyopants; 10-27-2013 at 11:43 PM.
itscoo2pyopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
M3Froi

My Ride: 2005 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post
Incorrect. A failed center support bearing will cause low rpm rumbles/slapping and fade out as the speed increases. It is more notable from a dead stop and punching it.
Thanks for the clarification. Just a thought, have you replaced your differential bolts (rears) to the updated version?
M3Froi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
itscoo2pyopants

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Froi View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Just a thought, have you replaced your differential bolts (rears) to the updated version?
no i havent. i havent had any issues with the rear differential (no clunk etc). the car has been pretty solid for almost 4 years.

this problem started after i mounted some wheels that were imbalanced. i drove them to the local tire shop to get balanced. ive changed wheels since then but havent been able to figure out the vibration.

im going to replaced my fcab to OEM and see if that will help. if not, ill have to take it in to the local indy to see if they can help.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Teslazerok

My Ride: 2003 M3 6SPD
If it showed up after unbalanced tires were on the car, have your alignment and wheel bearings been checked?
Teslazerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
itscoo2pyopants

i had the alignment checked today, it was spot on. also had the wheels rebalanced. still experiencing the vibration at freeway speeds.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Alroy

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG CWPkg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post
I can confirm every single word this guy said. Man, I wish I had pics of when my CSB took a ****. The rumble was terrible.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Just A Wagon

My Ride: 2002 325XI TOURING
Bad csb??

I have the exact same issue I have searched the forums high and dry and not one person had a fix except for one guy who said he changed his power steering pump and it went away. I do notice my steering is a bit stiff when not moving and does have a little bit of a whine when I move the steering wheel while not driving... Nobody has an answer?! Just bought my car 2 days ago this is the only thing wrong

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
i would replace that guibo it looks horrible. the csb needs to be changed too, thats WAY too much play. my csb looked like it was new and felt almost the same as the new one I swapped in but the new one fixed my thud and vibration when taking off. id replace both parts and see if it fixes the issue they need to be replaced regardless or itll wear out your driveshaft joints.

I did the CSB and guibo/flex disc without dropping the exhaust just undid hangars and slid both halves of the driveshaft out through the back. used a hammer and screwdriver to get the old csb off the driveshaft and used the other half of driveshaft as a slide hammer to get the new csb back into place. dont forget to take the clip thing off the csb or it wont come out and replace it to the new csb.

as for guibo, the arrows need to point to the part being bolted on. so if you are bolting the driveshaft to the guibo in one of the 3(?) spots the arrow needs to point towards the driveshaft. if you are bolting the guibo to the transmission flange the arrow needs to point to the transmission. http://www.bokchoys.com/differential...stallation.jpg

Last edited by Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo; 11-11-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is offline   Reply With Quote