E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 4.64 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #201
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Re: Still Suffering from hesitation/bucking even after VANOS seals? Look Inside!

Sent from my SM-N900P using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by always-there; 11-03-2013 at 07:24 PM.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #202
matchew

My Ride: 330i touring
I tried this and it did nothing
Still got the kangeroos when setting off, and crap tickover
matchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #203
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by new//M3fan View Post
Not everyone has rich friends that buy well maintained cars... you don't know it all you know. (neither do I) but aspiring you do doesn't bode well on you or others

If you still stand by your opinion

Show me proof these are standardized, and suffer from no use inflicted damage.

and I will promptly follow up with a refusal for cause, without dishonor.
Don't hold your breath.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #204
DRD2

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
So far

Picked up a 2004 ZHP in perfect cosmetic condition (122k miles), but it has the dreaded jerky acceleration between 2500 - 3000 RPM, and it's grumpy as hell when cold. So far I've done:

Sparks - went NGK. No difference in the way the car runs.

O2 Sensors - was throwing pre cat O2 codes, and with 122k they were due for replacement. Very slight improvement in the way the car runs.

Fuel pump - it died 200 miles from home a week after I bought the car, fortunately near an Autozone in Dallas. I searched the forum and did the job in the parking lot of a restaurant in 2 hours. Noticeable improvement in the way the car runs. Thanks guys.

Fuel regulator - bought one with the pump. Not sure it was bad, but that damned little vacuum hose was certainly toast. Replacing the regulator and the vacuum line did wonders for the car, but it's still bucking and it still runs like hell when cold.

DISA - rebuilt it as PM. The valve wasn't bad, but the O ring was flat, probably allowing un-metered air into the intake. No improvement in the way the car runs, but I do sleep better knowing the pin isn't going to ruin my engine. How can a car company that is so smart be so stupid sometimes?

MAF - cleaned it. No change.

In the mail - New coils from BavAuto. I'll keep the old ones as spares.

Next up - VANOS. Bought the seals and the rattle kit. I'll certainly pay attention to the electrical connections after this post. Going to upgrade the cooling system while I'm in there.

If I get this far and the car still bucks I'm going to be pissed. What else is there?
DRD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #205
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRD2 View Post
Picked up a 2004 ZHP in perfect cosmetic condition (122k miles), but it has the dreaded jerky acceleration between 2500 - 3000 RPM, and it's grumpy as hell when cold. So far I've done:

O2 Sensors - was throwing pre cat O2 codes, and with 122k they were due for replacement. Very slight improvement in the way the car runs.

Fuel pump - it died 200 miles from home a week after I bought the car, fortunately near an Autozone in Dallas. I searched the forum and did the job in the parking lot of a restaurant in 2 hours. Noticeable improvement in the way the car runs. Thanks guys.

Fuel regulator - bought one with the pump. Not sure it was bad, but that damned little vacuum hose was certainly toast. Replacing the regulator and the vacuum line did wonders for the car, but it's still bucking and it still runs like hell when cold.

DISA - rebuilt it as PM. The valve wasn't bad, but the O ring was flat, probably allowing un-metered air into the intake. No improvement in the way the car runs, but I do sleep better knowing the pin isn't going to ruin my engine. How can a car company that is so smart be so stupid sometimes?

Next up - VANOS. Bought the seals and the rattle kit. I'll certainly pay attention to the electrical connections after this post. Going to upgrade the cooling system while I'm in there.

If I get this far and the car still bucks I'm going to be pissed. What else is there?
After seals and this nothing else. possibly ccv

Last edited by new//M3fan; 11-24-2013 at 08:57 PM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #206
CORVAIRWILD

My Ride: Diesel Subrban 325xi
Just curious... did you buy the car from a dealer? Private? Where you aware of the probs? Any maintenance records? What did you pay?

Quote:
Picked up a 2004 ZHP in perfect cosmetic condition (122k miles), but it has the dreaded perky acceleration...
Oh, and what's a DISA? Pin??? Does my '03 325xi have this?

Last edited by CORVAIRWILD; 11-26-2013 at 08:00 AM.
CORVAIRWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #207
DRD2

So far

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORVAIRWILD View Post
Just curious... did you buy the car from a dealer? Private? Where you aware of the probs? Any maintenance records? What did you pay?

Oh, and what's a DISA? Pin??? Does my '03 325xi have this?
Private party, $9350 and yes I was aware of the problems. The car looks like it came off of the show room floor, but the PO was not mechanically inclined and was tired of the mechanical foibles. I'm not afraid of ironing the wrinkles out of a good BMW (after all, they all have them) so I picked it up. It was the best looking ZHP in the Austin area. My goal is to go through the car and replace/rebuild most everything that could potentially be a problem. My budget is $1500.

At this point I'm pretty sure the VANOS is the issue, and I'm going to rebuild it the first chance I get. The interesting thing is that the poor cold weather performance is going away. Perhaps the DME had compensated for the vacuum leaks and it's learning that they're no longer there. The 2500 RPM bucking acceleration is still there.

The DISA valve sits on the side of the intake and effectively changes the length of the intake runners to give the car a performance boost. BMW calls it an Adjuster Unit. It's very poorly designed, and if it wears out it can drop a metal pin into your engine and ruin it. Here's a link that shows it on your car, it's part number 7:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...79&hg=11&fg=40

German Auto Solutions makes a very well engineered upgrade kit. It's a 1 - 2 hour very easy DIY. Here's a link to the kit:

http://germanautosolutions.com/bmw_s...repair_kit.php
Old 11-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #208
mrmaico

My Ride: 04 ZHP, 05 R1200 GS
Quote:

If the problem is between 2500 to 3000 rpm under acceleration in the higher gears you probably just need the software updated.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966614
Old 11-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #209
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Still Suffering from hesitation/bucking even after VANOS seals? Look Inside!

I thought the consensus was that 2800 rpm hesitation was the Intake Cam position sensor?

Or did I miss the memo?

-Dan (only slightly confused)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #210
DRD2

So far

mrmaico - If it's still there when I get the VANOS done the software's next on the list. The only reason I haven't done the software yet is because I can't update it myself. I hate, HATE, taking my car to the shop - even if it's the right thing to do

swordsman - I wouldn't call this a hesitation, it's more like an oscillation that happens between 2500 - 3000 RPM and will only quit by getting the car out from this RPM range.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #211
s3bas

My Ride: 325ci 02
Re: Still Suffering from hesitation/bucking even after VANOS seals? Look Inside!

If the were to drop into the engine would it make a rataling noise

Sent from my HTC One using BimmerApp mobile app
s3bas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #212
VA M3

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 Ragtop
All Better

Hi all, new to the group...

I want to think everyone for your advice on this. I had the same issue with low-end bucking. Took it to a local shop and they replaced the vanos solenoid sealing plate due to rubber rings failure. I thought all was good but the bucking came back. Mind you it was not as bad as before but there. I spent sometime doing a combination of tightening the connectors and using contact spray and as of today my baby is running like a woman possessed.

Thanks again all!!!

My Mid-Life Crisis
VA M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #213
DRD2

Crap - did the VANOS now the car runs rough and has no power. Wellllllll...guess I get to tear into it again and see what I did wrong :\
Old 12-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #214
DRD2

Hallelujah

Finished the VANOS including the rattle kit and the bucking acceleration is all gone. Car runs like a champ. :thumb up: (Lack of power from last post was a loose ground wire for the sparks)

Last edited by DRD2; 12-06-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #215
mrmaico

My Ride: 04 ZHP, 05 R1200 GS
Quote:
Finished the VANOS including the rattle kit and the bucking acceleration is all gone. Car runs like a champ. :thumb up: (Lack of power from last post was a loose ground wire for the sparks)
Good to hear you got everything sorted and running good. I also did my Vanos before trying the software update but it didn't make any noticeable difference on mine. It may have been possible though that the PO had done the Vanos already judging by the condition of the valve cover gasket (nice and soft) and the Vanos seals.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #216
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico View Post
It may have been possible though that the PO had done the Vanos already judging by the condition of the valve cover gasket (nice and soft) and the Vanos seals.
Anything is possible. My VCG was nice and soft after eight years when I did my vanos seals.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #217
DRD2

Craaaaaaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico View Post
Good to hear you got everything sorted and running good. I also did my Vanos before trying the software update but it didn't make any noticeable difference on mine. It may have been possible though that the PO had done the Vanos already judging by the condition of the valve cover gasket (nice and soft) and the Vanos seals.
It started doing it again on Thursday so I swung by the stealer to see how much they would charge to flash the DME. The guy couldn't figure out what I was asking them to do, so he walked back and talked to another guy and they looked at me and laughed - wtf. He came back and said, '$280, but that won't fix anything, that's just to reset the codes and flash the DME.'

So I called an indy shop and described the problem and what I've done to date. They said they didn't think a software update would fix it, that there are other things that are more likely to be the problem, but that they'd be happy to update it for $160.

Last edited by DRD2; 12-16-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #218
Stinger9

Quote:
It started doing it again on Thursday so I swung by the stealer to see how much they would charge to flash the DME.
I lost track, did you systematically examine and tighten all the appropriate electrical connectors yet?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #219
DRD2

Craaaaaaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
I lost track, did you systematically examine and tighten all the appropriate electrical connectors yet?
I can't say that I systematically examined, tightened and replaced the electrical connections, but I was conscientious about it. I'll go back and pay close attention to each and every one. What I've done so far:

Replaced O2's
Sparks
Fuel pump
Fuel regulator
Cleaned MAF
Rebuilt DISA
Rebuilt VANOS including rattle kit
Replaced both cam position sensors

Each one of these things has helped the car run better. In fact, it's running like a bat outta hell. The only problem is the 2500 - 3000 RPM stutter, and now it's intermittent. Most of the time it does't do it, sometimes it's light, and one time it bucked like hell. I can't discern a pattern.

A wildcard: I replaced both CPS's with OEM equivalent from Arizona Autohaus. The exhaust side threw a code the first time I started the car up, and it appears that it was bad out of the box, so I pulled it and I put the old one back in.

My question is if the software update has fixed a lot of evil, why don't the local shops know about it?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #220
Stinger9

Quote:
I can't say that I systematically examined, tightened and replaced the electrical connections, but I was conscientious about it. I'll go back and pay close attention to each and every one. What I've done so far:
Refer back to post #1 on this thread with regard to the connectors. Best first approach would be to make sure the two CPS's connectors are making great contact. Also helps to spray with a bit of CRC contact cleaner.