E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #581
DubVersion

My Ride: BMW E91 335i
Hi njoni,

With my new trick for my MT 325ti, starting in neutral and waiting for the revs to go slightly below 1000 totally solves it for me. Asbjorn already offered to make the cold start more rich for me (with a reflash) , but as this is my daily ride and learnt to deal with the issue, i never bothered.

So i think your diagnosis is correct; but it's strange that for some cars this is an issue and others never experience it. Perhaps the cold start "friction" does differ somewhat between the cars.

greetings,
Jeroen

BMW E91 335i soon with rb turbos, currently on 360 wHP
DubVersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #582
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoni007 View Post
I installed an M3 fuel pump and it made no difference as the fuel trims are controlled by the ECU no matter how much the fuel pump adds extra flow. After installing the M3 fuel pump feels like at high RPM i get more TQ but low RPMs there is no difference.
An M3 fuel pump alone won't make any difference in fuel pressure at the rail (which directly impacts the amount of fuel injected) if used with the stock non-M fuel pressure regulator. The extra fuel flow from the M3 pump is simply returned to the tank (in fact, I used this very fact to resolve my fuel starvation issue during hard cornering and acceleration when the tank was near or below 1/4 tank). If you were leaning out up top because your stock pump wasn't able to keep up, then the extra flow of the M3 pump would make a difference. At startup and idle though, you're not enriching the mixture simply by swapping in an M3 pump.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #583
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
So I hate to bring up an old thread. But I have this exact issue. Rough cold start, and hesitation on acceleration from low RPM. I'm going to run fuel pressure checks to see if that is my problem.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #584
Dutch330CI

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I have a 330ci with nearly identical set up(Headers, no cats) except I have a TS1 and am having a similer problem. I read your other thread and I've been told pretty much the same thing as you from ESS. I am also running pretty lean at high 12 almost 13 air/fuel which I still don't know if this is correct as I am new to BMW and superchargers but I would think it should be a little lower. Definitely interested in seeing what you find out.
Dutch330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #585
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton323I View Post
So I hate to bring up an old thread. But I have this exact issue. Rough cold start, and hesitation on acceleration from low RPM. I'm going to run fuel pressure checks to see if that is my problem.
OP here. I think it is a good thing that this thread gets bumped up from time to time. Some of us (including myself) have not been able to positively ID the cause, so its refreshing to have new people try to tackle the problem. Please update us with your results (good or bad).

My cold start problem has gotten worse. No the car will barely start when the temp is below 47 or so. The throttle is then very sensitive and surges easily with part throttle. After 5 minutes or so, the car runs and starts as normal. Very annoying. I am in the process of checking vacuum lines.....again!

I recently read in another thread that a non SC 330 was having very similar symptoms and was able to fix the problem by replacing both O2 sensors although there were no codes....could this be a possibility??
Old 11-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #586
Minnoe07

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
I was having issues with cold start. Engine tended to bog a lot with light throttle. Decided to so some routine maintenance and cleaned the MAF with some MAF cleaner. That solved all of my issues! I was so surprised after having this issue for such a long time. SMH.

2004 330Ci 6 Speed; UUC Sway Bars; Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's; KW V2 Coilovers; 3.38 OS Giken LSD
Z4 Finned Diff Cover; Headers; M-Tech II Rear Bumper and CF Diffusor; CF Trunk; CSL Front Bumper
M3 CF Hood; DICE I-Pod Kit; JTD Rear Shock Mounts; UUC Front Strut Bar; O2 Simulators
ESS TS2 Twin Screw Supercharger

Minnoe07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #587
Patton323I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
OP here. I think it is a good thing that this thread gets bumped up from time to time. Some of us (including myself) have not been able to positively ID the cause, so its refreshing to have new people try to tackle the problem. Please update us with your results (good or bad).

My cold start problem has gotten worse. No the car will barely start when the temp is below 47 or so. The throttle is then very sensitive and surges easily with part throttle. After 5 minutes or so, the car runs and starts as normal. Very annoying. I am in the process of checking vacuum lines.....again!

I recently read in another thread that a non SC 330 was having very similar symptoms and was able to fix the problem by replacing both O2 sensors although there were no codes....could this be a possibility??
I'm open to just about anything. I get an EML light and a code for the throttle position randomly. Then it will go away. Its weird because I have never had that issue before. I'm still plugging away on it. I hate that Ess is not too supportive of this issue.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #588
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Quote:
I'm open to just about anything. I get an EML light and a code for the throttle position randomly. Then it will go away. Its weird because I have never had that issue before. I'm still plugging away on it. I hate that Ess is not too supportive of this issue.
I feel your pain. I saw your thread and it doesnt seem like ESS is non-responsive. These issues with the TS unit are not easy to diagnose and the solution for every single case is slightly different.

At least you are throwing a code. See if you can borrow a TB to see if it is a bad sensor, also check the wiring to the TB which might have gotten damaged during the install. Sometimes badly kinked or loose wires/connections will give intermitent failures.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #589
Patton323I

I installed an M3 fuel pressure regulator today. They are rated at 5 Bar. It solved virtually all the problems. The car now drives like a mad man. I will report back in a week with updates.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:33 AM   #590
Maestroxl

My Ride: 330CI
Send a message via MSN to Maestroxl
Do you have a partnumber and is it plug and play?
Maestroxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #591
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
It's funny how the same problem is solved by different parts. I also have this problem and I'm suspecting crank case leak. I'll test it by disconnecting and plugging the CCV hose and report back tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #592
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Yep, crank case leak. It's very simple test I would suggest to all owners with cold start, throttle response and AFR issues:
Disconnect the CCV pipe, plug the intake side, put a rag over the valve cover side (secure with rubber band).
Old 02-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #593
jdjg

My Ride: e39, m52tub30
same issue at cold star morning.... I will post video shortly....
I have less than 2 months with this setup in my e39 530i manual......

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jdjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #594
jdjg

Old 02-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #595
Patton323I

That is literally what mine does as well. The M3 FPR only fixed the throttle response issue. Not the cold start issue. I will take a look at that this weekend.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #596
jdjg

ESS TS startup woes

other video.........
and guess what? ESS AJ do not want give me support about this problem (I have this TS2+ about 2 month) because he say, because I install the Schricks FI camshaft (246/252), I install an "aftermarket" part in my setup......
but...... before I bought my TS2+ and since ESS DO NOT SELL the FI camshaft , I talk with Hans asking about what FI Camshaft I need to buy (remember, since they ESS do not have the FI camshaft to my setup), and I ask about this FI camshaft because ESS say in they web page the TS2+ need the FI camshafts.......
So, I do not understand AJ, hans told me exactly what FI camshaft and specs and brand I need to buy, i bought those FI camshaft and now AJ told me he cant help me because I put an "aftermarket" part in my setup.......
what a terrible customer service from AJ......

Last edited by jdjg; 02-21-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #597
Patton323I

Yeah, I didn't get much better support with mine either. They basically cited the same reason. They claimed that my headers were throwing the whole thing off.....
Old 02-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #598
jdjg

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't get much better support with mine either. They basically cited the same reason. They claimed that my headers were throwing the whole thing off.....

and why your headers?
what headers you have?

Old 02-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #599
jdjg

well after a few hours with sending emails, AJ send me a new map, with 6% more rich in cold start..... lets se tomorrow if the map help......
post my result tomorrow

Old 02-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #600
Patton323I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
and why your headers?
what headers you have?

Just the ebay supersprint knock offs. nothing special.