E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Kyemaul

My Ride: 2006 E46 M3 Vert
Rod Knock after just buying 2005 M3!! HELP

Hi fellow E46 owners,

Last edited by Kyemaul; 11-18-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Kyemaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
Putting the wrong oil in your car won't cause it to burn off. If your car was in fact burning oil at a high rate, you would have noticed blue smoke coming out of the exhaust and it would have triggered the Service Engine Soon light. From normal oil levels to dry in just a few miles usually means a leak. Moreover, low oil levels can and will result in clattering noises. Don't drive the car until you find out where the leak is, and recognize that you might not be getting any leaks until the engine is at higher revs and the oil is under higher pressure. What you can do is put a phosphorescent dye in your oil, and rev the engine (in neutral in a garage) and then take a look underneath and around the engine bay with a black-light. That should show you where your oil is going. Talk to a reputable mechanic to see what dyes he recommends, or have him do it.

Last edited by DSilk56; 11-12-2013 at 03:22 PM.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Kyemaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk56 View Post
Putting the wrong oil in your car won't cause it to burn off. If your car was in fact burning oil at a high rate, you would have noticed blue smoke coming out of the exhaust and it would have triggered the Service Engine Soon light. From normal oil levels to dry in just a few miles usually means a leak. Moreover, low oil levels can and will result in clattering noises. Don't drive the car until you find out where the leak is, and recognize that you might not be getting any leaks until the engine is at higher revs and the oil is under higher pressure. What you can do is put a phosphorescent dye in your oil, and rev the engine (in neutral in a garage) and then take a look underneath and around the engine bay with a black-light. That should show you where your oil is going. Talk to a reputable mechanic to see what dyes he recommends, or have him do it.
Thanks, Someone else told me about the dye. I'm just waiting now to hear back from dealer/mechanic and go from there. I will end up taking it to BMW for full inspection and second opinion on the car. if bmw finds anything I will request a new vehicle ASAP ! Its only been two days since purchase.

Last edited by Kyemaul; 11-12-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Kyemaul

UPDATE:::::::::::: Just received a call from mechanic. They did a oil change and the knocking has returned. They will have to dig a little deeper into the problem. Could it be a vanos Problem?
Old 11-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #5
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
The S54 isn't exactly a quiet engine. They clatter about even under the best maintenance schedule.

Wouldn't hurt to pull the valve cover and do a proper inspection on the engine condition (at least from what can be seen).
Old 11-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Slobo7x

My Ride: cars
Has the car had it inspection II done, that is valve adjustments?
Slobo7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Kyemaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobo7x View Post
Has the car had it inspection II done, that is valve adjustments?
I have no clue. I just bought the car and the next day this happened. Told dealer today "If the motor has to be replaced or rebuilt I will be requesting a refund or find me a different M3. Would that cause the vehicle to knock? is that inspection just valve adjustment?

Last edited by Kyemaul; 11-13-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
ToMuchFun
Banned User

My Ride: E46 325i

You are going to spend thousands of dollars on this, ill trade you my 325i and 5 grand cash, im doing you a favor PM me

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
ToMuchFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Kyemaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMuchFun View Post
You are going to spend thousands of dollars on this, ill trade you my 325i and 5 grand cash, im doing you a favor PM me

Not one penny will come out my pocket! I've already contacted a lawyer for these type of matters. He assured me nothing will come out my pocket. If the dealer does not fix or replace motor or put me into a different M3 I am entitled to a Full refund of the sale price. So I'm not really worried too much just want to drive a M3. Sorry no 325 for me !!!

Last edited by Kyemaul; 11-13-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
ToMuchFun
Banned User

My Ride: E46 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyemaul View Post
Not one penny will come out my pocket! I've already contacted a lawyer for these type of matters. He assured me nothing will come out my pocket. If the dealer does not fix or and replace motor or put you into a different M3 I am entitled to a Full refund of the sale price. So I'm not really worried to much just want to drive a M3. Sorry no 325 for me !!!
You are going to pay thousands in legal fees. I will trade you my 325i and $4,000 for your m3, I'm doing you a favor, PM me.

ToMuchFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
Kyemaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMuchFun View Post
You are going to pay thousands in legal fees. I will trade you my 325i and $4,000 for your m3, I'm doing you a favor, PM me.

I will not pay anything in Legal fee's. Small claims court anything under 25K in my state. Any judge with half a brain will not find me at fault after putting 40 miles and motor blowing the next day. P.s. You said 5,000 at first lmao. Thanks for the offer but I would have to respectfully decline.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
Slobo7x

I would relax, he's messing with you.
Valve adjustment is a typical inspection procedure, I just thought that loud noise you hear might be coming from them.. If that's the case, I doubt you will have a case against them.

Of you look in FAQ section it's in there.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
Hollywood516

My Ride: 02 330i
where did you buy the car ??
Old 11-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
M3Freeak

My Ride: 04 M3 6MT
You might want to be careful posting up names and all your gonna piss off the guy working on your car, and also the dealership did nothing wrong. working in the auto industry myself for years i can tell you the dealership is handling your claim great! You had a problem, and they immediately came out to address it, go easy on them, trust me its a pain in the ass for them as well.
M3Freeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
Kyemaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Freeak View Post
You might want to be careful posting up names and all your gonna piss off the guy working on your car, and also the dealership did nothing wrong. working in the auto industry myself for years i can tell you the dealership is handling your claim great! You had a problem, and they immediately came out to address it, go easy on them, trust me its a pain in the ass for them as well.
You're right !
Old 11-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
Kyemaul

UPDATE:::::::::::::: The dealer is having the car repaired as of right now i still don't know exactly what the noise was. I told dealer I do not want a rebuilt motor not comfortable with that. He is handling this very professional not like some sleezy car dealers. He found me a 2006 comp pack M3 SMGII, but I still want to find out what exactly was wrong with the one I had and what caused it. Will keep you guys posted. Thanks to everyone that chimed in there 2 cents to help me!!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
Slobo7x

Glad it's going in the right direction, keep us posted.
This could happen to anyone honestly.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:13 AM   #18
2005blackm3

My Ride: s2000
did they find out yet?
2005blackm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
Kyemaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005blackm3 View Post
did they find out yet?
Nope situation has not gotten any better. Just a bunch of promises. No actions by law he has 15 days to repair or give me a vehicle. I'm just waiting right now.