E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
Moe.Jo.Joe.jo

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Unhappy P0335 Crankshaft position sensor code wont go away!

Greetings, this is my first post so here we go. I have a 2001 325xi. I suspect the problem first started with my battery dying because that's about when I began to notice the loooong crank-times (not a good look), the lose of POWER (the absolute worst for the bimmer) and the RPM's tending to alternate up and down between 300-1000 rpm's ( like breathing). After refilling the battery with water and charging it, the long cranks remained. Checked the codes it threw P0335 crankshaft position sensor. I got a standard brand sensor from World auto replaced the BMW sensor. It didn't clear the code or restore power. Bought a new battery, changed the fuel filter, replaced the spark plugs, and got another sensor from the same place and replaced it. I must say the car rides nicer, but still has the long crank, not all the power back and the P0335 code returns immediately, I also notice a burning smell as I exited the car after I did the work, too tired now, will check after sleeeeeeppppp oh sorry. Please help!!! Dont wanna keep buying bad sensors or it could be something else? Thanks...
Moe.Jo.Joe.jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
P0335 Crankshaft position sensor code wont go away!

Your ccv is probably clogged and vacuum leak. Intake boot ripped. Wait, disconnect your maf and try starting it. One last thing. If cranking takes long punch gas pedal when starting. If it helps you must've not plugged it in right
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
I wanted to add that you need to visually inspect the connector for any damage or loose contact pins. Also, inspect the wiring harness for any visible damage although it is usually best to check resistance readings from the PCM connector. This rules out any wiring problems from the start

2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Moe.Jo.Joe.jo

I checked and cleaned and re-crimped the connections to all the electrical plugs in the engine compartment including the connector to the crankshaft sensor. I also made sure the sensor was in tight and plugged in. While this did restore some of the power I was missing, the long crank and lack of power still remained. Is there any way I could test the sensor and the wiring harness without going to the Dealer?
Old 11-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
bigdave666

My Ride: 325ci auto
i have the same problem, i have replaced the lambda sensors, spark plugs, crankshaft sensor 3 times, injection loom (which covers the crankshaft sensor plug, all with oem spec parts, and then i spoke to a friend of mine i haven't seen for a very long time, years in fact who worked at a bmw main stealers for 15 years, he said every time they have a 325i or 330i with a m54 engine in, they did a dme re flash first and that sorted it in 95% of the problems he said just do a dme re flash and that will sort all problems, he is doing it saturday in his garage.
my car just before i bought it had a brand new fully rebuilt crate engine from bmw at the cost of 6500 only 3000 miles ago, so i am thinking he maybe right well i will find out soon and let you post the result,
check out dme re flash..... this my help quite common on the early e46 325i and 330i so he said
bigdave666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:11 AM   #6
Moe.Jo.Joe.jo

Good looking out bigdave666, I will investigate how to do a re-flash. In the meantime I will check back after saturday and see if it solved your problems.