E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
JMK27

My Ride: 2005 325Ci Sport
2005 325Ci Sport - Current Draw Circuit 41

I have a 2005 325Ci Sport.
I went away for a few days and came back to a car with a dead flat battery.
Its not the battery because it is only a few months old.

I tested the car with an Ammeter and found that with the key off and all interior lights off (boot included), there is a current draw of ~2.24Amps.

I pulled fuses 1 by 1 and found that ~0.2A was coming from the Instrument Cluster, Sun Roof and Thief Proofing System. I also found that there was 2A coming from circuit 41 (Navigation/Audio), I found the problem circuit...

This is where the problem gets the better of me...
I started disconnecting the various devices in circuit 41, e.g. amplifier, GPS DVD player, Audio Head Unit, and found Amperage drops when each device was disconnected. That means there is not one device causing the entire 2A draw, its as if all the devices are on and working. (the key is off)

Am I right in thinking that circuit 41 could be getting power even with the key off, and that the Current Draw is just the devices in the circuit being left turned on?

If so, from reading the circuit diagram (and I'm not an electrician) it seams that the only "switch" is the circuit is the ignition.

So my question is; do I need to look at the ignition, or is there some other type of switch or solenoid I don't know about, or have a totally overlooked another issue that could cause this to happen? (Or do I bite the bullet and take it to an auto electrician or BMW?)

My apologies for such a long winded question. I can post the exact figures from the multimeter if needed.

If somebody can help it would be much appreciated.
JMK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
BaliDawg

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Sounds like bad ignition switch.

But, if those devices are powered on you would see their lights, hear the sound, etc., right?
BaliDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
JMK27

When I first connect the battery (no key) I do here the fan in the amplifier for a couple of seconds, as well as the GPS DVD spool up for a few seconds too.
I thought this was normal, maybe its not? Would this be sounds your talking about?
Also, the LCD screen turns off, but there is still power to the unit, I checked with the multimeter.

Ignition switch?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci

Sounds like the culprit. Also, check to see if there's a relay between the inhibition switch and the power to the electronics causing the problem. I don't believe that there is one but I'd check anyway.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
JMK27

I've checked, but there isn't one that I could find, thanks for your help!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Tags
325ci sport, circuit 41, current draw