E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #81
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Electric power steering, shorter (read: lighter) driveshaft
wow had no idea it has electric power steering. I wonder what the belt setup looks like then?

Also on the sound generator, it seems the E46 firewall would need to have a hole to route the sound in. Anyone know if this hole is present in our cars? Still very confused on this mod. nobody seems to have done it? on a 3.0??

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #82
goosu94

My Ride: z3
Z4 3.0i Sound Generator mod

So how difficult is the install? Any difference with an xi over an I?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
goosu94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #83
Knight

My Ride: German
Quote:
Electric power steering, shorter (read: lighter) driveshaft
Driveshaft would impact power to the wheels, not the crank. Attributes to why it's quicker, not more powerful. Electric PS would do it though.

Interesting mod, especially if it's $100 in OEM parts and if we don't have to cut a hole in the firewall.

I'd also be very curious to see a DIY for this.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #84
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLG600 View Post
Driveshaft would impact power to the wheels, not the crank. Attributes to why it's quicker, not more powerful. Electric PS would do it though.

Interesting mod, especially if it's $100 in OEM parts and if we don't have to cut a hole in the firewall.

I'd also be very curious to see a DIY for this.
Chassis dynos measure at the wheels. The Z4 isn't rated to make any more power at the crank than any other M54 car
Old 08-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #85
Knight

My Ride: German
Quote:
Chassis dynos measure at the wheels. The Z4 isn't rated to make any more power at the crank than any other M54 car
Gotcha, didn't realize the other user was asking about whp.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #86
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by _TG_ View Post
I couldn't find a guide for going through the electric box so I routed the hose over the engine and behind the glove box.
It was very easy, the hardest part was finding a hose which is cheap, flexible and can withstand the engine heat.
The current hose fits these requirements but it's ugly as f..k so I'm still looking for a better one.
Any cutting of the firewall? How did you prevent creating a massive vacuum leak?
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #87
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Any cutting of the firewall? How did you prevent creating a massive vacuum leak?
That's what I was thinking. There's gotta be some sort of a one way check valve?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-12-2013, 02:21 AM   #88
_TG_

My Ride: 320i
Here is a a german diy with a lot of pics for you to get the basic idea:
http://www.e46fanatics.de/allgemein/...tml#post343368

Firewall cutting is not needed. I used the hole in the drug bin or whatever it's called.
The sound generator is closed in the middle by a membrane so no air goes through - no vacuum leak.
The tricky part was connecting the generator to the rubber elbow's connection since the two have the same outer diameter. I used a small part of silicone hose and 2 hose clamps.

I did not see anyone done this on 330i but with the rubber elbow cutting method(pic attached) it's totally doable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11cu4.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	521437  

Last edited by _TG_; 08-12-2013 at 02:24 AM.
_TG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #89
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TG_ View Post
Here is a a german diy with a lot of pics for you to get the basic idea:
http://www.e46fanatics.de/allgemein/...tml#post343368

Firewall cutting is not needed. I used the hole in the drug bin or whatever it's called.
The sound generator is closed in the middle by a membrane so no air goes through - no vacuum leak.
The tricky part was connecting the generator to the rubber elbow's connection since the two have the same outer diameter. I used a small part of silicone hose and 2 hose clamps.

I did not see anyone done this on 330i but with the rubber elbow cutting method(pic attached) it's totally doable.
Can someone translate that link? Thanks post more pics if you can.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #90
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Bump an old thread.

I'm thinking of ordering this since my intake boots are cracked and need replacement. (3rd time in 2 years )

So I would need to use a 2.5L intake boot? I'm confused. What about the intake boot from the 3.0L z4 that is specifically made for this mod?

Last edited by secono330ci; 11-20-2013 at 07:41 PM.
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #91
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Funny......I read all the way though five pages to arrive at the same conclusion from page one......no directions or diagrams.............

Although I have a cheaper mod, one of my bosses bought it as a joke for his Tahoe when he picked up his buddy who has a Ferrari........

http://motoren.wordpress.com/2010/10...ike-a-ferrari/

hahahahaha!! Got to admit there is some kind of weird quirky coolness to listening to this........
Old 11-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #92
_TG_

My Ride: 320i
BMW made 2 versions of sound generators for M54 engines: the z4 version and the 325ti version. The z4 version of the generator has better sound but it connects to the LOWER intake boot. The 325ti version has worse sound and connects to the UPPER intake boot. In e46 there is not enough space for the z4's generator + z4 lower intake boot combo (also it would require cutting the firewall).
So what the guys on the german forums came up with is use the upper intake boot from the 325ti(which has a sound generator connection at the bottom), the z4's genarator, and some clever tubing to get the engine sound into the cabin.
The 325ti's upper intake boot does not fit on 330i cars because of the smaller diameter.
_TG_ is offline   Reply With Quote