E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
k_h_d

My Ride: 330i ZHP, MINI JCW
Replace springs when installing Koni sport shocks?

I bought a 2004 330i w/ ZHP. It has 63,000 miles and I am going to install Koni yellow sport shocks sometime this winter. I may autocross the car a little and prefer to run in stock (or now street) class. That means I have to stay with stock springs.

Would my current ZHP springs be fine or should I replace those when I put on new shocks?

Last edited by k_h_d; 11-20-2013 at 08:27 PM.
k_h_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
your current springs are most likely fine, just inspect that there are no cracked/breaks and you are good to go.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS Sway bars, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TSX Projector retrofit, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills
bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Reusing your current springs is fine. Unless they are rusted, collapsed, or broken towards the bottom (it happens on some E46s) then they are just fine. However if you're upgrading your dampers to those nice Koni single adjustable units, you might want to consider a set of Eibach or H&R springs. Dinan actually makes a package deal with Koni dampers and Dinan springs.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Encryption76
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 328i
Send a message via MSN to Encryption76 Send a message via Skype™ to Encryption76
Does the car sit level? If you bounce the back/front do both sides bounce pretty even? If yes then your springs are probably ok.
Encryption76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
k_h_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
However if you're upgrading your dampers to those nice Koni single adjustable units, you might want to consider a set of Eibach or H&R springs.

I would but then the car is no longer in the street class for auto crossing. Last year i was very competetive regionally with my MINI and I am debating if I am going to run the MINI next year or move to the BMW. They are both in the same class actually.

Any comments on Koni FSD vs the sport shocks?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
k_h_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encryption76 View Post
Does the car sit level? If you bounce the back/front do both sides bounce pretty even? If yes then your springs are probably ok.

The car sits level and rides fine I am just looking for a little stiffer shock. I was not sure if a 9 year old spring would have lost any effectiveness. There is very little if any rust at all.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_h_d View Post
I would but then the car is no longer in the street class for auto crossing. Last year i was very competetive regionally with my MINI and I am debating if I am going to run the MINI next year or move to the BMW. They are both in the same class actually.

Any comments on Koni FSD vs the sport shocks?
I understand completely. The modifications I did to my 330i also bumped me into the 6 Cylinder modified class when I used to be in 6 cylinder stock class - whole different ballgame.

From what I've heard and read, FSDs are very good dampers, but they're expensive and some people claim they make the ride almost too 'supple.' If I were in your shoes, I would either stick with the Koni single ajustable yellow sport dampers or look into Bilstein sport dampers.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Zell
Banned User

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
No reason to replace springs unless they're broken. The rear springs are the biggest culprits. Look very far down into the cup, if you find that the lower spring is broken then you'll need a new one. It might be difficult to see, so compare sides. Look especially for rust on the end. This is a pretty tell-tale sign that it broke at some point.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote