E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
cwithbmw

My Ride: e46 328i
Replacing or decalcifying wiper fluid lines

Hey all, sorry if this has been answered before, I tried searching..

I recently replaced my windshield wiper fluid pump (my last was badly rusted), and I thought that would fix my broken fluid dispersers but it did not. I'm guessing it's a problem in the line (although the wiper fluid light still comes on), does anyone have experience replacing the lines or cleaning them?

Or could it be an electrical issue?
cwithbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
If you fixed the pump you should know if it's coming on or not. The obstruction in the line could just be at the nozzle, you know. Have you tried sticking a very fine wire in? If not, start from the nozzle and work backwards, right under the hood...undoubtedly the most likely place you'd have developed an obstruction.

But make sure your pump is working...maybe disconnect the hose from nozzle or around there and get someone to squirt it.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Sounds like two problems. The first one with the fluid sensor level and the second either the pump or the lines. There is a fluid sensor for the washer resevior, make sure it is plugged in. Check the wiring, maybe left off when replacing the pump. Same thing with the pump, check your connnection since you are there. Also do you have enough fluid in the tank? On the pump, did you also change the screen the pump fits into on the resevior? Maybe that is clogged. I would do what dmax said about disconnecting the line at the pump by having someone hit the button.

I don't know of any special cleaner you can run through there......maybe CLR??? Just a guess, I would make sure it would be safe on paint incase some gets on it.

Also check the fuse box for blown fuse. Not sure what else is on the circuit.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Verify pump function. Siphon the reservoir and pull the pump strainer. Inspect, then clean if clogged & reinstall. Bend a paper clip and ream out the spray nozzles in the hood of the car. Make sure they are free from obstruction. Trace the washer hoses along their paths to verify & eliminate any pinched areas or kinks.

Don't use the Rain-X washer fluid, just in case you or anyone else were thinking about it. Whatever the Rain-X component is (wax or silicone or what have you) curdles into floaties after a while and gums the system up. My washer fluid tank was full of it when I bought the car, looked like egg drop soup on the inside. Fluid was curdled like spoiled milk. You may want to run some isopropyl through it to help clear clogged lines.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
That reminds me.......I think I was using that or some other stuff in my tank when the pump started to leak. It happened one morning on my way to work and I was going to be gone for like 15 hours and didn't have time to wipe it up off the floor in the morning. Upon return I went to wipe up what every was still left and it etched the feaking epoxy coated floor. Could never get it to come up. Almost like an acid or something but who would have though......its only freaking washer fluid......
Old 12-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
cwithbmw

My Ride: e46 328i
Thanks guys! It's weird, the pump was at first not working (brand-new pump), then tried again about a month later, heard pump working but no fluid going up and out dispersers.

Then I kept the hood up with the pump running and lots of fluid starting coming out from around the dispersers. Ended up using a needle and unclogging the dispersers and now they work fine (except one shoots WAY behind the car, it's hilarious looking).

So it was a combination of the pump not being plugged in, and and the dispersers being clogged with calcium. Was not necessary to decalcify.

Last edited by cwithbmw; 12-01-2013 at 10:24 PM.
cwithbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:54 AM   #7
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Unless you're using tap water - I doubt that's calcium. Most likely plasticizers leaching from the lines. Know how lines are nice and soft when new - but old ones are hard and brittle? Plasticizers are gone.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwithbmw View Post
Thanks guys! It's weird, the pump was at first not working (brand-new pump), then tried again about a month later, heard pump working but no fluid going up and out dispersers.

Then I kept the hood up with the pump running and lots of fluid starting coming out from around the dispersers. Ended up using a needle and unclogging the dispersers and now they work fine (except one shoots WAY behind the car, it's hilarious looking).

So it was a combination of the pump not being plugged in, and and the dispersers being clogged with calcium. Was not necessary to decalcify.
So you know you can aim the nozzles with a pin, right? Or, keep one shooting up and over the car so when some jerk tailgates you, you can at least clean his or her windshield! I actually added an extra bottle and pump and ran a line to one of the four nozzles, added a switch next to my light controls just for this purpose...I fill up the bottle with Mercedes Benz cow urine. Works like a charm.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winshield wiper fluid