E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #41
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
I have 130K and mine burns maybe 1/2 quart between oil changes. I change the oil every 7500 miles or so.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #42
Fo Show

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
As before mentioned, I would really closely investigate the CCV and valve cover gasket.

In addition the gasket for the oil filter tower where it connects to the engine is a sneaky oil leak. My previous e46 was significantly losing oil but I never saw a leak until i took off the engine cover underneath and saw it was making a complete mess. Replaced the oil filter tower gasket and that fixed my leak.

I would get under there and do some more investigation. Facing the engine, if you find a leak on the left side it is most likely a valve cover gasket. If you find a leak on the right side, it is most likely the oil filter tower gasket. If you don't find any leaks check out the CCV again.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #43
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Show View Post
if you find a leak on the left side it is most likely a valve cover gasket. If you find a leak on the right side, it is most likely the oil filter tower gasket.
Left and right backwards.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #44
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
+1
I agree. Some people like to sit and do jigsaw puzzles for fun. I found this enjoyable to figure out where all the pipes went and connecting them properly. Satisfying.

And yet at almost 100K miles I use non-LL01 brand name 5W-30 and burn close to zero oil at my 8K oil changes. So it is possible.
Yes but I'd like to take wear measurements of various parts of your engine. And as you can buy spec oil the same or cheaper price than non spec, maybe you can explain the value equation of the non spec oil?
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #45
Fo Show

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Left and right backwards.
Yea it depends on perspective. I forgot to specify my viewpoint facing the engine from standing and looking directly at the engine bay.

But yes if you are under the car with legs facing the front, left and right would be switched.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #46
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
Yes but I'd like to take wear measurements of various parts of your engine. And as you can buy spec oil the same or cheaper price than non spec, maybe you can explain the value equation of the non spec oil?
Blackstone gave me a clean bill of health on my last oil change at 9000 miles. And on sale I can get name brand 5W-30 for much cheaper than the the LL01. US stores have amazing sales.
At 100K miles I'm running perfectly, so what would the downside of wear measurements being suspect be? Will my engine fail at 150K if I am being unwise? I've never had a car beyond 60K in my whole life before. At this point I'm amazed that I have a car that comes close to looking new and working fine at ten years of age! Still a Boulevard Cruiser with some teeth.

Last edited by Stinger9; 11-20-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #47
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
Blackstone gave me a clean bill of health on my last oil change at 9000 miles. And on sale I can get name brand 5W-30 for much cheaper than the the LL01. US stores have amazing sales.
At 100K miles I'm running perfectly, so what would the downside of wear measurements being suspect be? Will my engine fail at 150K if I am being unwise? I've never had a car beyond 60K in my whole life before. At this point I'm amazed that I have a car that comes close to looking new and working fine at ten years of age! Still a Boulevard Cruiser with some teeth.
Who mentioned LL01? Use an ACEA A3, B3 spec 5W40 and be happy. Note using 5W30 here in an E46 would have voided warranty, but then we don't have CAFE thank goodness, which really screwed U.S oil viscosity recommendations

Last edited by sprintman; 11-21-2013 at 01:39 AM.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote