E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #161
djtrini

My Ride: 04 M3 & 05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@maximumpsi View Post
We offer a lifetime warranty on our manifolds. We have looked into the warped flanges and corrected any issues with the manifolds in stock. The cracking was caused by the manifold being stressed when it was bolted down. The manifolds are now going through additional steps to assure the best quality control.

The header doesn't require an oil pump. I have over 20k miles on my kit using the same header and there is no oil smoke or contamination from oil drainage issues. FYI, Dexter's car also never had any oil smoke or contamination, just some oil residue in the turbine housing. I recommended not running a pump because it is not needed, and when you have a system that relies on a scavenge pump, you are stuck when the pump fails. We have 17 e46's without a pump, and numerous e36's(same header location) on the road with no issues.
thanks for the clarification Mike. These were my reservations in moving forward on pulling the trigger on this kit. If I end up keeping my car, ill be in contact with you guys this spring!
Old 11-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #162
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtrini View Post
thanks for the clarification Mike. These were my reservations in moving forward on pulling the trigger on this kit. If I end up keeping my car, ill be in contact with you guys this spring!
Nike!!!!

....just do it
Old 11-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #163
Think0rz

My Ride: 05 AW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtrini View Post
+ 1, and I'd also like to know if there was any resolution achieved with the issue Dexter experienced with the exhaust manifold cracking on his MaxPSI kit and having a warped flange (on his original manifold, and just a warped flange on the replacement manifold that was sent to lab22) it was also mentioned in his build thread an issue with the turbo oil return set up, in which lab22's fix for that was to install an oil scavenge pump to resolve the issue.
I'm probably the only customer of MaxPSI's that has suffered hardware failures (cracks on exhaust & intake manifolds) I've spoken to various other MaxPSI owners that haven't experienced this problem so it was probably an isolated issue with my hardware as mike modified my hardware to reflect necessary changes to the kit prior to their official release.

As for Lab22's findings with the old manifold and oil build up John recommended running a scavenge pump if I was going to continue with my original manifold given what was found. However, once all parties involved had communicated with one another a new Manifold was shipped out to Lab22 and upon installation John wanted to try it out as is before installing a scavenge pump as recommended by Mike. Once installation was complete the car was put on the dyno made several passes, driven on the street, etc. There was no indication that the car needed a scavenge pump anymore and hasn't given an issue since.
I'm not currently in possession of my car so I'm giving this info based on my stay for a little over a week which includes countless pulls on the street, 12+ hour drive from Portland, Oregon to Coalinga, California and racing at Shift S3ctor's event. My car is still being driven on the west coast and hasn't given an issue to date so I'd say at this point MaxPSI has corrected any issues related to their hardware.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #164
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
awesome, thanks for the update!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #165
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Official Release - Maximum PSI E46 M3 Turbo Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think0rz View Post
I'm probably the only customer of MaxPSI's that has suffered hardware failures (cracks on exhaust & intake manifolds) I've spoken to various other MaxPSI owners that haven't experienced this problem so it was probably an isolated issue with my hardware as mike modified my hardware to reflect necessary changes to the kit prior to their official release.

As for Lab22's findings with the old manifold and oil build up John recommended running a scavenge pump if I was going to continue with my original manifold given what was found. However, once all parties involved had communicated with one another a new Manifold was shipped out to Lab22 and upon installation John wanted to try it out as is before installing a scavenge pump as recommended by Mike. Once installation was complete the car was put on the dyno made several passes, driven on the street, etc. There was no indication that the car needed a scavenge pump anymore and hasn't given an issue since.
I'm not currently in possession of my car so I'm giving this info based on my stay for a little over a week which includes countless pulls on the street, 12+ hour drive from Portland, Oregon to Coalinga, California and racing at Shift S3ctor's event. My car is still being driven on the west coast and hasn't given an issue to date so I'd say at this point MaxPSI has corrected any issues related to their hardware.
Good info... Clears the air... R u the guy that put the infinity and 6766 on? What kind of numbers did u get ?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #166
m3sc

My Ride: 06 TurboM3,06 SC C55
I was about to upgrade to the 6766 but was advisd by Mike to stick with the 6466 ball bearing. It is only 35hp less but will spool much faster.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/Street.../800-1-000HP/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by being3 View Post
Good info... Clears the air... R u the guy that put the infinity and 6766 on? What kind of numbers did u get ?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
m3sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #167
kp31b

My Ride: 2004 M3 6MT
The kits and the numbers your putting up especially on the stock DME are amazing @ MAXIMUM PSI. I heard about and have been following you guys earlier this year from i was in Afghanistan. I'm back stateside now and is hoping to stop by your shop as soon as i can.
kp31b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #168
lovee46

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 m3
Great Kit

Hey guys I'm just giving you an update on my stage 1 kit, its running great with no hiccups at all. I had my kit installed last year and with 5904 miles later i love it even more and stage II will be done for the new year. Maximum Psi does a great job and they take tons of pride in what they do, I've called Mike numerous times on his cellphone and he always answers and addresses my concern or question all the time. The drivability of the kit is flawless and feels like any other E46 M3 until boost kicks in and at that time you realize your not driving your stock M3 anymore. If theres anyone on fence about getting this kit i hope my review helps you to get this well made kit. Mike did my first turbocharge kit on my E36 m3 and to this day that car is still running with an additional 29087 miles. So it was no brainer for Mike to do my E46 M3 and I have no regrets. Good job Maximum PSI and I look forward to doing my stage II
lovee46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #169
kp31b

My Ride: 2004 M3 6MT
Can you post some vids?
kp31b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #170
lovee46

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 m3
You would have ask Mike for Vids, I believe he some
lovee46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #171
m3sc

My Ride: 06 TurboM3,06 SC C55
GREAT NEWS for SMG owners!

Just got the news yesterday that Nick has fixed the stalling issues completely!

Car drives beautifully according to him at part and WOT.

He is now moving forward with Stage II tuning with the high octane fuel and bigger injectors and large turbo (6466 BB vs. 6266 JB).

I am so excited because I thought it was going to be a major hurdle but he solved it in just a few days if not less!
m3sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #172
triks

My Ride: BMW M3
I hope it is as easy as sending the DME in.

I will let Mike chime in when they have finalized everything.
triks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #173
XKR

My Ride: 2001 M3 Convertible
Would the stage 1 non catted be able to bolt up to the Full Bimmerworld 3.5" race exhaust without major fabrication? Does it make a difference if it has a Standard Y which bolts to normal headers or Large Y which bolts to the Epic Motorsports supersprints headers? This may be a stupid question but would you guys be able to fabricate an electric cutout right at the beginning of the merge collector? The only reason I ask is because I would probably get the resonated version of the BW exhaust so I could have the cut out before the resonator so I could have the loudest and purest sound when I want.

SGT catless headers

Full BW 3.5" Straight Pipe Race Exhaust w/ diffuser

Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs
Sebion CF hood | CF Kidneys | ‹mnitiza Predator Orion V4 | Dynavin Nav D99+ w/Android | Blue Leds | Projector Fogs w/ 50w 5k HID| Painted Reflectors
XKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:17 AM   #174
speed12

My Ride: E46 M3 HPF, E36 M3
Well done!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BimmerApp mobile app

E36 M3 1997 Dakar Yellow
E46 M3 2005 Carbon Black (HPF)
E46 M3 2006 Imola Red..(Memories)
speed12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #175
BrianSpilner

My Ride: Max PSI Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKR View Post
Would the stage 1 non catted be able to bolt up to the Full Bimmerworld 3.5" race exhaust without major fabrication? Does it make a difference if it has a Standard Y which bolts to normal headers or Large Y which bolts to the Epic Motorsports supersprints headers? This may be a stupid question but would you guys be able to fabricate an electric cutout right at the beginning of the merge collector? The only reason I ask is because I would probably get the resonated version of the BW exhaust so I could have the cut out before the resonator so I could have the loudest and purest sound when I want.
I have the same setup right now: Epic Headers + BW 3.5" exhaust.

Mike said the BW 3.5" exhaust will work no problem.

I also opted for a 3.5" dump valve right after the turbo (before the Y-pipe), which is being fabricated by Mike as we speak. Can't wait.
BrianSpilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #176
XKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBoss View Post
I have the same setup right now: Epic Headers + BW 3.5" exhaust.

Mike said the BW 3.5" exhaust will work no problem.

I also opted for a 3.5" dump valve right after the turbo (before the Y-pipe), which is being fabricated by Mike as we speak. Can't wait.
Isn't your car supercharged though?

I really can't decide whether or not if I should SC it or turbo it... I'm very lucky to be living 40mins away from maximum psi so I just may do that. But turbo is a lot more money. I wish money wasn't an object because I'd go turbo all the way. I wonder if anyone twin charged an e46 before..

Your exhaust setup is AWESOME! I'm going to be stuck with the resonated one though because I'm going to use their diffuser exit muffler. Bimmerworld non res is insanely loud lol. I hope the 3.5" will be less raspy. Mine is fully straightpiped 2.5" except for the muffler and it sounds like a very angry chainsaw when the dump valve is opened.

Do you think there will be a sound difference for me if I upgraded my headers to a high end brand like epic, supersprint or oem csl? Currently got Status gruppe tuning.

SGT catless headers

Sebion CF hood | CF Kidneys | ‹mnitiza Predator Orion V4 | Dynavin Nav D99+ w/Android | Blue Leds | Projector Fogs w/ 50w 5k HID| Painted Reflectors
Old 02-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #177
BrianSpilner

Quote:
Isn't your car supercharged though?

I really can't decide whether or not if I should SC it or turbo it... I'm very lucky to be living 40mins away from maximum psi so I just may do that. But turbo is a lot more money. I wish money wasn't an object because I'd go turbo all the way. I wonder if anyone twin charged an e46 before..

Your exhaust setup is AWESOME! I'm going to be stuck with the resonated one though because I'm going to use their diffuser exit muffler. Bimmerworld non res is insanely loud lol. I hope the 3.5" will be less raspy. Mine is fully straightpiped 2.5" except for the muffler and it sounds like a very angry chainsaw when the dump valve is opened.

Do you think there will be a sound difference for me if I upgraded my headers to a high end brand like epic, supersprint or oem csl? Currently got Status gruppe tuning.
I am supercharged, but I am going Max PSI Stage 2. The price for a supercharger kit vs turbo kit is very similar. So I don't know where you get "more expensive" from. Both are $10-$12k out the door. Difference is that with a turbo you can always upgrade. With the blower you will max out and then any power you want after that it will heat soak like a m0ther****er.

Twin Turboing an E46 M3 wouldn't make any sense. Even 335's are converting to single turbos. The legendary 2JZ Supras are all converted to single turbos.

Your exhaust won't sound that much different if at all when upgrading to SS V1 or Epic Headers.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #178
XKR

Quote:
I am supercharged, but I am going Max PSI Stage 2. The price for a supercharger kit vs turbo kit is very similar. So I don't know where you get "more expensive" from. Both are $10-$12k out the door. Difference is that with a turbo you can always upgrade. With the blower you will max out and then any power you want after that it will heat soak like a m0ther****er.

Twin Turboing an E46 M3 wouldn't make any sense. Even 335's are converting to single turbos. The legendary 2JZ Supras are all converted to single turbos.

Your exhaust won't sound that much different if at all when upgrading to SS V1 or Epic Headers.
No by twin charging i mean turbocharging and supercharging. It's popular with chevy colbolts and some VWs come stock like that. The new volvo S60 has a turbo and a supercharger.

I think HPF did a twin turbo M3 on a RHD version. I also prefer a big turbo over 2 smaller ones.

AA has a sale on their stage one kit for around 7k. It's not a bad DIY so you can save around 4 grand if you do it yourself.

What made you choose to go turbo? Do you really need more power than a Stage 5 supercharger? lol

SGT catless headers

Last edited by XKR; 02-06-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #179
BrianSpilner

Quote:
No by twin charging i mean turbocharging and supercharging. It's popular with chevy colbolts and some VWs come stock like that. The new volvo S60 has a turbo and a supercharger.

I think HPF did a twin turbo M3 on a RHD version. I also prefer a big turbo over 2 smaller ones.

AA has a sale on their stage one kit for around 7k. It's not a bad DIY so you can save around 4 grand if you do it yourself.

What made you choose to go turbo?
I've never been a fan of intro stages because the power gets old quick, trust me.

I am switching because like I said, a supercharger can only net you so much power (on this application) and then that's it. They become HEAT-SOAKING monsters once you start over-spinning them. With a turbo, the power potential is virtually endless and more efficient since it's using exhaust rather than pulleys to make power.

I love my AA kit, but it's time to upgrade to the 700rwhp+ club.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:17 PM   #180
XKR

Quote:
I've never been a fan of intro stages because the power gets old quick, trust me.

I am switching because like I said, a supercharger can only net you so much power (on this application) and then that's it. They become HEAT-SOAKING monsters once you start over-spinning them. With a turbo, the power potential is virtually endless and more efficient since it's using exhaust rather than pulleys to make power.

I love my AA kit, but it's time to upgrade to the 700rwhp+ club.
Isn't the only difference between stage 1 and stage 2 of the maxpsi kit is just fuel system upgrades?

SGT catless headers