E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
GORUCK Challenge

Anyone ever do one, might sign up for one this June?

A little more info, this is a 10 hour, 20 mile military style endurance challenge. And oh by the way it's done with a 50 lbs pack on your back.

This will make the tough mudder look like a tickle fight.

https://www.goruck.com/challenge

Last edited by bgsmith; 11-02-2013 at 09:01 PM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
bgsmith

Well I'm signed up

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byk2.../preview?pli=1
Old 11-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
man, that sounds rough
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
bgsmith

It's going to be insane, I like having it as a motivational tool.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
It's going to be insane, I like having it as a motivational tool.
I think that's great too. I'm using "starting my own CF" as my motivation recently. I have to look and play the part.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
bgsmith

Any additional news regarding your investor, you think you might go that route?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
DylloS

Quote:
Any additional news regarding your investor, you think you might go that route?
not sure if I posted in the thread but he sent me some locations. All too close to the other local one. I do not want to compete with them and step on their toes. I'm still preparing to start my own out of my garage though. Worst case scenario is I start there and then we get this up and running. He's moving a little slower than I'd like. Maybe when I'm certified at the end of this month it will move quicker though.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
RossGuy
E46Fanatic

My Ride: FBM
Re: GORUCK Challenge

Definitely want to do this next year. Injuries, losing my job, and drinking postponed it for most of spring and summer.

Hope it's better than TM. I did my 8th and last one in Wisconsin and it was soooo boring and poorly put together. It's all about profit now, not like it used to be.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
RossGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
bgsmith

These events are kept small on purpose, 35 people per Cadre so I doubt they will get sloppy like a TM.

One of the guys I am doing the GORUCK with I did a mudder with last summer, it was his 10th, he feels the same way you do about them.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
RossGuy
E46Fanatic

My Ride: FBM
Re: GORUCK Challenge

Yeah I think doing WTM last year made the normal courses suck. But they have gone down hill in location, and obstacles in the past year. The last one was mostly flat out running up and down a field and a lot of "obstacles" like push ups, and they made a spectator route right up the middle of the course. As soon as I saw the course and some little kid wearing a future mudder shirt, I said f these events. Now it's a family outing with fat people in spandex.

RossGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossGuy View Post
Yeah I think doing WTM last year made the normal courses suck. But they have gone down hill in location, and obstacles in the past year. The last one was mostly flat out running up and down a field and a lot of "obstacles" like push ups, and they made a spectator route right up the middle of the course. As soon as I saw the course and some little kid wearing a future mudder shirt, I said f these events. Now it's a family outing with fat people in spandex.

Yeah, the mudder I did was in Vermont, there were a few people who dropped out within the first half mile, by the looks of them they had never left the couch. What were these people thinking, the event requires traveling 11 miles on foot up and down a mountain, you can't just get off your fat ass and do one if you are not an active person.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #12
bgsmith

Finished my GORUCK Challenge this weekend, was an amazing experience, easily the toughest thing I have ever done both physically and mentally.

While they are not for everyone I would recommend doing one, just as an FYI they do make a tough mudder feel like a walk in the park.

Pics to come later.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #13
DylloS

Quote:
Finished my GORUCK Challenge this weekend, was an amazing experience, easily the toughest thing I have ever done both physically and mentally.

While they are not for everyone I would recommend doing one, just as an FYI they do make a tough mudder feel like a walk in the park.

Pics to come later.
tell us everything you big jerk!

I came back from my weekend in vermont expecting a full write up
Old 06-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #14
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
tell us everything you big jerk!

I came back from my weekend in vermont expecting a full write up
I'll write something up later.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
bgsmith

OK I'll say it again, this was the toughest thing I have ever done, both physically and mentally.

For a little background on what a GORUCK Challenge is, it is a look into military special forces training for anyone that wants to sign up, there are a few different events that pretty much only differ in duration and distance traveled, although these can vary even within the same type of event. I completed a Challenge, which is 10-12 hours long and usually 15-20 miles (a Light is about half that, and a Heavy is about twice that). Each event is run by a GORUCK Cadre who is a former special forces soldier from one of the US branches of the military and in some cases a foreign special forces soldier.

The event I did was a Custom Challenge, meaning it was not planned by GORUCK, it was set up by those that participated, basically you can contact GORUCK about setting an event up, tell them your location, and they will do the rest, a Challenge class usually consists of 35 people, we had 31. In regards to our Cadre we had initially set up the event with Cadre Bert, a former Army Special Forces Operator, but we were lucky enough to have a second Cadre, Big Daddy John. Big Daddy is quite possibly the most badass human on the planet, he is an active duty Master Gunnery Sergeant in the Marine Corp, the highest rank an enlisted man can reach, he has 26 years in with 20-21 of them being with the Recon Marines, he currently runs the Recon and MARSOC training schools. For those of you that don't know what MARSOC is, they are a elite group of special forces operators pretty much made up of the best Recon Marines and Navy Seals, they are the guys the Navy Seals call when they get into some deep **** just to put things in perspective.

OK, onto the challenge, first off everybody has to have a ruck, if you are over 150 lbs you need to carry 6 bricks, if you are under 150 lbs its 4 bricks, plus you have to carry 3 liters of water, basically my ruck weighed about 45 lbs with all my gear. Our challenge was in Montauk Long Island and it started on the beach, it was foggy as **** out and not too warm, you couldn't see more than 30 feet in front of yourself. The first thing we had to do was the standard Army PT test (not all classes have to do this) it is a 2 minute AMRAP of situps, followed by a 2 minute AMRAP of pushups, followed by a 2 mile run, I got 61 situps, 67 pushups, and my run was done in about 21:35. Yes, the run was slow as **** but it was on the beach in deep sand and in heavy fog, I finished 5th or 6th out of 31, was hard to tell because it was so damn foggy, but the fastest time was about 19 minutes I believe.

After this we hit the water with Cadre Big Daddy, this was the scariest part of the challenge and probably the scariest thing I have ever done, with a snorkel we had to submerge ourselves in the surf for 10 second intervals, sounds easy but after being winded from the PT test, and with the surf rough as **** from a full moon, and rip currents that would knock you off your feet this sucked. At one point my sister was on my back she was so scared. This was followed by some PT in the water, flutter kicks, push ups, etc, all which sucked. Next we hit the beach for more PT, pushups, mountain climbers, flutter kicks, bear crawls, crab walks, a somersault race, etc. This was done all without ruck on by the way, but coupled with the dark, fog, and sand it was not easy. Mind you, we had two Cadre up our asses the whole time.

After some fun in the sand it was time to move up the beach, one of the class requirements is you must have a US Flag and a team weight, the flag must never touch the ground and for a challenge the team weight must weigh at least 25 lbs, our weight was a piece of steel from the World Trade Center, it was about 2 feet long and I am not sure how much it weighed. In addition to this we were instructed to fill sandbags the Cadre were nice enough to bring, there were about 6-8 of them ranging in weight from 20 lbs to 120 lbs, I at one point carried all of these. We were also instructed that we had 3 casualties at this point, essentially 3 people needed to be carried, we had a litter that we used for a while but just reverted to fireman's for most of it, I was lucky enough to carry both a 170 lbs male at one point and my sister on another occasion. To add to the fun the Cadre found some logs for us, one was a 3 man log, the other a 6-7 man log, and they were heavy as ****. SO at this point we are carrying our rucks, our team weight, 6-8 sandbags, 3 bodies, their rucks, and two logs and then waht Cadre Bert named the whale egg, a giant half petrified block of wood that was about 2.5 feet by 2.5 feet by 2.5 feet. This went on for a couple hours, then the Cadre found the Montauk Monster.

The monster, as we called it, was a half buried dead tree on the beach that was about 30 feet long, with roots and all, it weighed god only knows how much, but as instructed we dug it up and moved it 150 feet. After all this fun we headed off the beach onto the wooded cliffs, leaving the logs behind and with our casualties revived, where we were instructed to find Cadre Berts steel plate that weighed 30 lbs in the brush, all in pitch black with only the use of our red headlamps, luckily we found it, but this was just one more thing to carry. By this point the sun was almost up so we headed to a beachside parking lot for more PT before heading to the bay. We rucked all the way to the bay with rucks, sandbags, and weights in tow. Once at the bay it was back in the water for more ground samples and PT, this was much easier as the water was calm here and it was daylight, we were in the water for about 45 minutes I would say.

At this point my sister and I were named team leaders, hence we were in charge of getting the group to our next point, a coffee shop where we got coffee and doughnuts for winning a bet by moving the dead tree 150 feet. After this pretty much unheard of break during a challenge we had to get the group back to the beach in 1.5 hours, a distance of 3.5 miles, we did not have sandbags any more, just the weights, and the 15 gallons of extra water I forgot to mention. We set on our way at a good pace, I also forgot to mention that tight formation needs to be maintained, everyone always needs to be within 1 arms length of the person in front of them, and you can never go anywhere on your own. Once we were about 3 block from the beach the Cadre pulled me aside and told me that my team would all have to remove their left shoes for the rest of the ruck, and we would have 8 casualties to carry, at this point things were a mess and due to that we lost both shoes, and the privilege of using our ruck straps. So at this point 23 people needed to carry 31 rucks, 31 pairs of shoes, 8 bodies, our weights, the flag, and our water. We made it to the beach where the group got split in two due to pace, the 15 in the back were all killed and I was instructed by the cadre that myself and the remaining living half needed to move the dead and their gear about 150-200 yards down the beach, and the dead were in now way allowed to assist us, they were truly dead weight, this was rough, but after 11.5 hours this wasn't going to stop us, we got it done in the allotted 5 minutes. From here we moved off the beach for some more PT and our challenge ended. All in all it was only 12.5 miles but with all the weight we carried it was rough.

This is a long write up and I need to get back to work but ask any questions and I'll post more details as I remember them.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #16
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
I hear you man, I was in the military once for 3 weeks and even though my training was nowhere close to being as tough as this, I did not like it at all haha.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT

Last edited by SeanC; 06-16-2014 at 03:33 PM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #17
DylloS

jesus Brian, this is harder than I imagined. I'd like to do something like that but I'm a big vagina.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #18
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
jesus Brian, this is harder than I imagined. I'd like to do something like that but I'm a big vagina.
It was insane, but awesome all at the same time. It really makes a tough mudder, CMC, spartan race, etc. look like a walk in the park. With one of those if you don't want to do something or can't you can skip it, maybe have to do some burpees instead but either way its an individual thing, with this if you don't perform your team suffers so you just suck it up and do what needs to get done. Did I ever think I would be able to walk a quarter mile or more on the beach, in the dark, in fog like pea soup, with 50 lbs on may back in a ruck, topped with a 120 lbs sandbag (most likely 160 lbs considering it was wet) or a 170 lbs person on my back, no way, but I did it.

I felt the way you did when my younger sister first told me about this, hell I felt the same way about the tough mudder or CMC, but you know what I busted my ass and I did them and I couldn't be happier, and yes I will be doing more of these, each one is different based on location and Cadre, not to sound cliche but the only thing that is guaranteed to be the same is coming out a stronger person with some new friends, oh and the suck they will all suck, you just have to embrace it.

Oh and I'll have to reread what I wrote as I am sure I missed some stuff, like having 4 minutes to learn the names of 30 other people, when I had never met 28 of them before, with the threat of some serious PT if it didn't happen, not just for me but for the whole group.

By the way my next purchase will be some sandbags, need to get some serious rucking in with more than just my pack, I would love to do a heavy at some point but I need to get to work before that can happen.

Last edited by bgsmith; 06-16-2014 at 05:03 PM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #19
bgsmith

Some Pics

Cadre Big Daddy, quite possibly the baddest mother****er on the planet

Manny with the beard, guy has one arm, he is a Marine that lost it in an IED blast in Afghanistan

Cadre Bert
Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #20
bgsmith

And more Pics

Before it all began, me and my sister