E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
Flop

My Ride: '04 330Ci 6MT
Project "D-D/D" (daily driver/drifter) | 330Ci Build Thread

Relatively new user here. First off, I just have to say that this an awesome site. Great community and a ton of good info. I hope I can make a meaningful contribution.

I have always loved build threads. Browsing through them, page after page, bookmarking the good ones, saving pictures for ideas later down the road, they are the story of a car's life, its biography (with lots of pictures ).

So here is my crack at one.

I purchased the car in December of 2012 after graduating from Oregon State (go beavs!). It's a 2004 6MT 330Ci (sport package) with ~100k miles. I got a relatively good deal on it, considering the previous owner had just installed a new: water pump, brakes (pads/rotors/fluid), spark plugs, ALL fluids, and FCAs and FCABs.

I'm not a "die-hard" BMW fan, but I wanted a car that fit my requirements:
- rear wheel drive
- manual transmission
- two door
- NON convertible
- Something that is nice enough to take a girl out in (i.e. not an S13 or FC RX7... lol).

Long story short, the E46 coupe chassis was perfect. Nice interior, fairly nimble, and a ton of aftermarket support.

What it looked like when I picked it up:

Growing up, I have always been into drifting. My first car was a '91 S13 (got it when I was 14 back in '05), and I regret selling it to this day. I found the art of taking a street car, that most view as nothing more than a means of getting around, and throwing it sideways in a display of car control and style was absolutely exhilarating. While I have been "out of the game" for a while, I'd like to say "I still have it."

With this car, I want to build a highly streetable car that can also drift comfortably without "fighting" the car.

Plans include:
- Solid subframe bushings
- Poly differential busings
- Solid RTABs
- Subframe reinforcement kit with integrated rear strut bar (think: --\/-----\/-- )
- Coilovers
- Square 225/40R18 tires front/rear setup (currently 255/35 rear)
- 3.46 diff (welded... while saving up for LSD)
- SLR steering angle kit (not for a while)
- standard engine boltons (pulleys, headers, exhaust, flywheel, etc...)
- And every standard BMW maintenance item (DISA, CCV, pulleys, shifter bushings, mounts, etc...)

Stay tuned.

EDIT: Mods to date are below (as of 5/25/14)

Suspension/Chassis/Brakes
- AKG aluminum subframe bushings
- AKG poly (95a) differential bushings
- AKG spherical RTABs
- Bavauto sway bars w/ Ground Control spherical end-links
- Front strut brace
- Turner subframe reinforcement kit
- Custom welded-in rear strut bar with integrated subframe reinforcement
- ECS stainless brakelines

Engine/Drivetrain
- UUC black (isolated) transmission bushings
- All new shifter components with ECS teflon bushings
- German Auto Solutions billet aluminum DISA kit
- welded 3.38 differential
- Muffler delete w/ Eurosport double-wall tips

Interior/Exterior
- NRG deep dish steering wheel (black suede) w/ NRG quick release hub
- Bride (reps) Zeta III seats w/ Wedge Engineering brackets and Planted Technology side mounts
- Vinyl wrapped interior (3M "brushed steel")
- Armrest delete center console

- ...and a ton of standard E46 maintenance goodies.

Last edited by Flop; 05-26-2014 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1401085810
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Flop

First order of business, get rid of those sunken wheels.

Wheels should be relatively flush with the fender, period.

While I ultimately plan on running a different wheel/tire combo, this is a temporary mod to make the car drivable.

I went with the ECS tuning wheel spacer kit. 15mm front / 20mm rear.

Now the wheels are effectively:
F: 18x8 +32
R 18x8.5 +30

Much better:

Last edited by Flop; 12-04-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Flop

Maintenance items:

The same day I did the spacers, I also did:

- Rebuilt DISA valve with German Auto Solutions billet aluminum kit
- Replaced the radiator cap with the German Auto Solutions billet piece
- Replaced the entire CCV system with the OEM BMW cold-weather kit
- Replaced the fuel filter
- Replaced air filter and cabin air filter
- Cleaned the idle control valve

I HIGHLY recommend the GAS billet aluminum DISA kit.

My stock DISA flapper looked like the one in the middle:

The car idles much better now and doesn't have any DISA rattle.

Last edited by Flop; 01-04-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Avetiso

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
Nice car. Love those wheels.
Avetiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
YYCZHP

My Ride: 2005 330ci zhp

Have a feeling this build is going to be proper! Stoked to see where this ends up!

You said you had a s13 before and that is an entirely different beast from an e46. You have to remember that the s13 has a sr20det if I'm right which has a turbo. It will gain a lot more power for basic bolt ons. The m54 in the BMW however is pretty we'll tapped out from factory. You might get 1-2whp here and there but don't expect it to be a 250who car with boltons haha. Also, by the time you have performed all of them, your in forced induction cost comparable territory. Check out active autowerke if your interested in going that route. I think it's around $4200 for stage 1.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
5% tint all around - Tinted Tail Lights - Muffler Delete -Asa Ar1 - CF CS Splitters - 6000k Predator Orion v2 Angel Eyes - 8500k DRL - Aux Input - Racing Dynamics CF Intake - Racing Dynamics Front & Rear Strut Brace - Schroth Quick Fit Harnesses - Cf Style BMW Harness Pads - Cf ACS Trunk Lip - Cf Engine Covers - Cf Roundels - Cf Hamann Fog Light Covers - Lower Spring Perches - ECS Tow Hook
YYCZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
Nice car. Love those wheels.
Thanks man. BTW, I grew up not far from you... Roseville. Moved to Oregon in 2010.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTosi View Post
Have a feeling this build is going to be proper! Stoked to see where this ends up!

You said you had a s13 before and that is an entirely different beast from an e46. You have to remember that the s13 has a sr20det if I'm right which has a turbo. It will gain a lot more power for basic bolt ons. The m54 in the BMW however is pretty we'll tapped out from factory. You might get 1-2whp here and there but don't expect it to be a 250who car with boltons haha. Also, by the time you have performed all of them, your in forced induction cost comparable territory. Check out active autowerke if your interested in going that route. I think it's around $4200 for stage 1.

S13s came stock (in the U.S. at least) with the KA24 motor... roughly 140 HP at the crank. Far less than the E46, but the car was also ~2700lbs.

And when (not if) I become bored with the M54, a LS1 will be taking its place. Easier, cheaper, more reliable, and faster than boosting an M54 That will hopefully be a summer/fall 2015 project

Last edited by Flop; 11-30-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
YYCZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
S13s came stock (in the U.S. at least) with the KA24 motor... roughly 140 HP at the crank. Far less than the E46, but the car was also ~2700lbs.

And when (not if) I become bored with the M54, a LS1 will be taking its place... That will hopefully be a summer/fall 2015 project
Ahh sorry my mistake! But ls1 would be sweet! So much torque with them!

5% tint all around - Tinted Tail Lights - Muffler Delete -Asa Ar1 - CF CS Splitters - 6000k Predator Orion v2 Angel Eyes - 8500k DRL - Aux Input - Racing Dynamics CF Intake - Racing Dynamics Front & Rear Strut Brace - Schroth Quick Fit Harnesses - Cf Style BMW Harness Pads - Cf ACS Trunk Lip - Cf Engine Covers - Cf Roundels - Cf Hamann Fog Light Covers - Lower Spring Perches - ECS Tow Hook
Old 11-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Flop

Also, just to give you all an idea of my "capabilities" (if you will), here is my old project. Started completely stock:

(not embedding the pics so I don't clutter the thread)

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...o/IMG_1102.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...aco/Pic265.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...aco/Pic265.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...o/IMGP7082.jpg

Last edited by Flop; 11-30-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Avetiso

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Thanks man. BTW, I grew up not far from you... Roseville. Moved to Oregon in 2010.
Wow, small world! Let me know if you are ever down here again.

LS1 is a great choice for a swap, although I'd prefer the S54 just to keep the BMW soul. That rasp when flying through the revs makes me all fuzzy on the inside.
Avetiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Quote:

And when (not if) I become bored with the M54, a LS1 will be taking its place. Easier, cheaper, more reliable, and faster than boosting an M54 That will hopefully be a summer/fall 2015 project
That's where I'm at... working on a weight reduction program. Already dropped 119 more or less. I plan to get my car just under 3000 pounds. Can be done!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
Wow, small world! Let me know if you are ever down here again.

LS1 is a great choice for a swap, although I'd prefer the S54 just to keep the BMW soul. That rasp when flying through the revs makes me all fuzzy on the inside.
For sure! I will be there for a week or so in late December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWhip View Post
That's where I'm at... working on a weight reduction program. Already dropped 119 more or less. I plan to get my car just under 3000 pounds. Can be done!
Care to share what you have done so far to drop 119 lbs? I would really appreciate it! 3000 lbs would be awesome.

Last edited by Flop; 11-30-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:

Care to share what you have done so far to drop 119 lbs? I would really appreciate it! 3000 lbs would be awesome.
Get rid of the spare and lose the stock depleted-uranium exhaust for something lighter, and you're halfway there.

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
YYCZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-em-dougle-u View Post
Get rid of the spare and lose the stock depleted-uranium exhaust for something lighter, and you're halfway there.
Haha the uranium exhaust. But seriously though. E46 mufflers are stupidly heavy. Also since this is a track oriented dd you could also get a Mini Cooper battery. There's a thread on it somewhere. Oem seats are like 60-70lbs. This is stupid why am i posting each thing... Heres the thread to all the weight reduction haha http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=460350

Last edited by YYCZHP; 11-30-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTosi View Post
Haha the uranium exhaust. But seriously though. E46 mufflers are stupidly heavy. Also since this is a track oriented dd you could also get a Mini Cooper battery. There's a thread on it somewhere. Oem seats are like 60-70lbs. This is stupid why am i posting each thing... Heres the thread to all the weight reduction haha http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=460350

I've already ditched to stock rear muffler. You're right, that thing is HEAVY. Had a shop down the street weld two pipes to a pair Eurosport Design double-wall stainless tips. I will try to get some pics up soon.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
BeMyWhip

Quote:

Well... so far I ditch the stock muffler 57lbs, spare tire and Jack 52lbs, and clutch fan and auxiliary fan delete... gotta be at least 15 to 20 pounds.
IM working on more stuff as we speak.

Last edited by BeMyWhip; 11-30-2013 at 05:19 PM.
BeMyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #17
BeMyWhip

I Google front heated power seats... 88 lbs each!
Rear seats... 66 lbs!
Then you can do a lighter battery.
Also, there is a lot of sound deadening material which can be removed.
Headers with cats weight a lot as well.

Last edited by BeMyWhip; 11-30-2013 at 05:22 PM.
BeMyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
Dtmnuka

My Ride: 2004 325i
Lets see a few more pics w/ those spacers! Where in pdx do you live? Im over in Milwaukie
Dtmnuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #19
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtmnuka View Post
Lets see a few more pics w/ those spacers! Where in pdx do you live? Im over in Milwaukie
Currently in northwest downtown, but moving to southeast (woodstock) area in a couple weeks. Do you go to any bimmer meets or anything around here?

Here are some pics after the spacer install. Probably should have done at least 17.5mm on the front, but oh well. They will be coming off eventually. And excuse the dirty tires... took the car out to Seaside the week prior.

Last edited by Flop; 12-04-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #20
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Ever wonder why we have a showroom section?