E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum > Spec E46 racing class forum

Spec E46 racing class forum
Official Spec E46 racing class forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Spec E46
Sponsor

Initial release of the rules are here

The initial release of the Spec E46 rules have been published at http://spece46.com/spece46-regulations. A few comments:

- We know the rules are not perfect, this is just the first version and changes are inevitable. But they're good enough for people to get a sense of what the cars will be like and provide enough detail to get started on builds.
- Items such as exhaust and minimum weight will not be finalized until we've built and tested a few cars, but this shouldn't affect builds.
- Items like tire and ECU spec are still being discussed, they are important but easily changed.
- There are undoubtedly a few things we failed to include, a few loopholes that need to be closed, and a few flat out mistakes. Help us by bringing such things to our attention, ideally in the forum.

We will incorporate your feedback into the next release, we don't have a timetable but probably in the next couple of weeks. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
Spec E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
mjazz81

My Ride: '01 330Ci, '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec E46 View Post
The initial release of the Spec E46 rules have been published at http://spece46.com/spece46-regulations. A few comments:

- We know the rules are not perfect, this is just the first version and changes are inevitable. But they're good enough for people to get a sense of what the cars will be like and provide enough detail to get started on builds.
- Items such as exhaust and minimum weight will not be finalized until we've built and tested a few cars, but this shouldn't affect builds.
- Items like tire and ECU spec are still being discussed, they are important but easily changed.
- There are undoubtedly a few things we failed to include, a few loopholes that need to be closed, and a few flat out mistakes. Help us by bringing such things to our attention, ideally in the forum.

We will incorporate your feedback into the next release, we don't have a timetable but probably in the next couple of weeks. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
Initial feedback:

Making sure the rules result in a car that iscompetitive in a TT class could be a big help. Spec3 being a decent TTD car I think has helped grow the field as you see lots of them in TT before they get their comp licenses.

Requesting Clarification regarding: "Dash must be retained." Some parts of the dash need to be cut for proper cage installation, to what extent is this allowed. Also, does "dash" include the bit all the way back around the shift lever (it comes out as one piece currently)

Leaving spring rates open would be a nice cheap way to allow some "tuning." When I did not have aero on my 330 I liked having softer springs as it allowed me to ride the curbs and get around people (CMC cars )more easily.

Was the 3.46 LSD requirement made for cost purposes? I had one in my 330 and for tracks on the east coast a 3.64 has worked much better.
mjazz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
getfast

My Ride: 04 M3, 98 M3/4
Depending on tires and weight, I'm thinking this might be a TTD car as well? (Bone stock it's TTE at 3285#)

Last edited by getfast; 11-27-2013 at 11:18 AM.
getfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Lercs

My Ride: 00 328i, 00 323it
Here are my comments on the rules

13.10. Height adjustable rear spring adjusters may be added. - I did not see anything saying that you could add front height adjustability, is there a reason for this?

16.2. Factory rear trunk lid spoiler must be removed if installed. - I'm not sure about this rule, why not allow factory options to be used?

Wiring - Can the factory wiring be removed/replaced. If not there will be a lot of random useless wire floating around in the car

One final question, can a wagon be raced? (cause that would be super cool)
www.8legsracing.com

Last edited by Lercs; 11-27-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Lercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
I like the idea of having spec spring rates...you can still tune to a degree with the ARBs/shocks/tire pressures/alignment, and it makes it easier for manufacturers to come up with "spec package" of suspension components.

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Spec E46
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjazz81 View Post

Leaving spring rates open would be a nice cheap way to allow some "tuning." When I did not have aero on my 330 I liked having softer springs as it allowed me to ride the curbs and get around people (CMC cars )more easily.

Was the 3.46 LSD requirement made for cost purposes? I had one in my 330 and for tracks on the east coast a 3.64 has worked much better.
changing springs is is too much trouble and adds unnecessary cost. while we may revise the rates after testing, there will be one spec spring (set).

3.46 was chosen for cost, availability, and gearing. with a 6500 rev limit 3.64 might run out of revs on long straights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lercs View Post
Here are my comments on the rules

13.10. Height adjustable rear spring adjusters may be added. - I did not see anything saying that you could add front height adjustability, is there a reason for this?

16.2. Factory rear trunk lid spoiler must be removed if installed. - I'm not sure about this rule, why not allow factory options to be used?

Wiring - Can the factory wiring be removed/replaced. If not there will be a lot of random useless wire floating around in the car

One final question, can a wagon be raced? (cause that would be super cool)
the mcs struts allow ride height adjustment.

because some cars don't have them and we want as much similarity as possible.

we may add a rule allowing unnecessary wiring to be removed in the next release.

while it would be super cool - no.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
evanlevine3233

My Ride: Racecars
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-em-dougle-u View Post
I like the idea of having spec spring rates...you can still tune to a degree with the ARBs/shocks/tire pressures/alignment, and it makes it easier for manufacturers to come up with "spec package" of suspension components.
Yes! It also keeps the extremely well funded racers from having numerous spring setups for different tracks and crew to swap these out at races. We want the guy who tows his well prepared car to the track on an open trailer himself and twirls his own wrenches to have a shot at winning too. As you mentioned, the adjustable shocks, alignment, pressures, sways, etc, still leave a lot of setup and tuning for each driver.
evanlevine3233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
skiboard06

My Ride: 330i
Why was the single adjustable MCS shock chosen and not the dual adjustable non-remote reservoir MCS?

I am not complaining and I know this saves some money, but it makes one less thing that is ideal for crossover to sport class in bmwcca CR.

Jon
skiboard06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Evice

My Ride: BMWCR IS and 128i DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboard06 View Post
Why was the single adjustable MCS shock chosen and not the dual adjustable non-remote reservoir MCS?

I am not complaining and I know this saves some money, but it makes one less thing that is ideal for crossover to sport class in bmwcca CR.

Jon
Sport class doesn't REQUIRE D/A suspension. It caps at that. You can use S/A MCS in Sport class. Issue with Sport class crossover is the FW and clutch.

Last edited by Evice; 11-28-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Evice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
JamesClay
Sponsor

My Ride: Any BMW with 4wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
Sport class doesn't REQUIRE D/A suspension. It caps at that. You can use S/A MCS in Sport class. Issue with Sport class crossover is the FW and clutch.
And E36 exhaust manifolds - which are an awesome solution for the exhaust on this car to allow a bolt-on race exhaust that will consistently fit versus allowing cutting out cats that not everyone can do well and could get into some power improvements and massaging.

And weight - we expect these cars to be a bit lighter than Sport class with BMW.

This is already growing in a strong class - there are over 12 people I know of actively looking for or having purchased cars in one week of announcement. BMW accepts other classes and it would be my plan to race mine as a Spec E46 car there. And yes, it would be at the pointy end of the IS cars. But the goal here is to build the best Spec class possible. This BMW allowance lets us do that and still race there.
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Bimmer World
JamesClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Lercs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec E46 View Post

while it would be super cool - no.
sadface re: wagons
www.8legsracing.com
Old 11-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
Spec E46
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
we don't require an upgraded flywheel/clutch, you're free to run the stock pieces if desired. admittedly there's a small performance hit but it's not going to be very large. the main reason we allowed upgrades to these items is for durability, less strain on the synchros, and easier rev matching. once you're in third gear the flywheel weight is virtually unnoticeable.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
Lercs

My last comment on the rules is rear camber adjustment. I have seen many a street car with bent rear arms as the stock ones are way tooooo flimsey. For 200 bux (or less) you can get adjustable camber in the rear that allows you to save on tires and match the camber up front, and not bend the arms.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/adjusta...46z4-p519.aspx
www.8legsracing.com
Old 12-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
Lercs

re-read the rules and it says they can be replaced, but doesn't specify that they can be adjustable, but I will assume that they can be replaced with any product.

One thing it doesn't mention is if wheel spacers are allowed. I ask because the wheels are open, therefore, you can get different offsets and a wider track.
www.8legsracing.com
Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
Evice

My Ride: BMWCR IS and 128i DD
Quote:
re-read the rules and it says they can be replaced, but doesn't specify that they can be adjustable, but I will assume that they can be replaced with any product.

One thing it doesn't mention is if wheel spacers are allowed. I ask because the wheels are open, therefore, you can get different offsets and a wider track.
You can not assume anything. If clarification is needed, raise it. Assumption would only create a disappointment on your end if turns out it is wrong.
Evice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
JamesClay
Sponsor

My Ride: Any BMW with 4wheels
Quote:
There is a definition of replaced early in the rules. Yes - can be replaced with adjustable. Many of the questions raised by most people were covered in the initial rules if you read through them fully. I think a new/final(?) revision is pending.
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Bimmer World
JamesClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #17
Lercs

James, I agree that many of the questions that have been asked could be answered by reading the rules more carefully, but in the case of the rear arms, I think some clarification would be warranted.

From the rules: "'Replaced' means that parts may exceed OE specifications, provided they are mounted in the stock location and perform the same function."
" 13.11. Rear lower control arms may be replaced"

Adjustable camber arms add to the functionality, almost all of the other "replaced" parts only add to the reliability aspect (i.e. water pump, rad, pulleys, etc) and do not change how the part works.

But glad to hear there is a revised set coming along, super interested in this idea!
www.8legsracing.com

Last edited by Lercs; 12-09-2013 at 06:43 PM.