E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
E46 WOT

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
BMW CCA Club Race School VIR April 10-11 2014 Students NEEDED!!!

Hello everyone! I just successfully completed the BMW CCA Club Race School, sponsored by Bimmerworld/Tire Rack, at Roebling Road this past Thursday/Friday and I can't even begin to describe how much fun it was and how huge of a learning experience it was. I had such a great time I'm going to do another one! There is a Club Race event April 11-13th 2014 at VIR (Full Course) and the powers-at-be want to incorporate a race school with it. To do that we need participants and the more there are, the more fun everyone has!

I'm not part of the administrative process, the instruction, or any leadership level of the BMW CCA. I'm just a fanatic that loves track time and doing a race school beats the pants off of HPDE's and open track days.

http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com is the site where you can learn more about the schools in general and if enough interest can be generated they'll add the race school to the event list. You can check out the other race schools for details too.

A and B level HPDE students, instructors, and signed off solo students are the target level of experience for a race school. You don't have to plan on racing to attend either, for example I can't afford to buy a track car/trailer/tow vehicle yet or turn my DD into a race prepped car so my immediate plans were not start racing on my own. However, to my pleasant surprise, other students who own race cars have already asked me to share seat time at the April race at VIR that would follow the school!

To give you an idea of what to expect at a race school I've listed some of what you'll get to do:

Very advanced classroom discussions about car control, lines, racing, passing, etc. from very accomplished racers and coaches.

You'll work thru a very well organized and thought out agenda during all the classroom sessions.

Your first day is non-stop classroom/track time so you're forced to have the car prepped before you arrive and don't have much time to prep or repair on the fly (simulating an actual race weekend).

On track exercises will include (and may vary based on class size and any delays due to the ever changing track schedule): Track Recon, 1 HPDE style session with point-bys (all others are open passing with no point bys), open sessions with no point-bys/qualifying style, 3-wide drills (high pucker!), late passing into corner drills, practice starts, and an S.R.E. (simulated racing experience) where your group will grid up, go out with the pace car, have the start, and then race the rest of the session- sort of a combination of everything worked on rolled into one.

You'll have access to some very well thought of instructors and national champion drivers.

You'll gain so much more awareness of what's around you while on track that high performance driving will be sub-conscience as you navigate traffic and do all the exercises.

Provided you pass, you'll be allowed to apply for a rookie club race license and start racing. After 4 race events you can apply for a provisional license and after another amount of time that I can't remember you'll be able to apply for a full race license.

With a BMW CCA Club Race license, my understanding is that past the rookie level you'll have reciprocity with other club racing associations (NASA, SCCA, VDCA etc.)

With even a rookie level license you'll be able to attend Bimmerworld test and tune days like the one that will be going on Thursday April 10th at VIR (which the school will be sharing track time with). That day and days like it are basically open track days that you can log about as much seat time as you can handle and do it amidst other racers and professionals shaking down their cars and having fun. How cool would it be to be passed in a high speed corner by James Clay piloting the new F30 race car! Not many people in the states get that kind track experience outside of the CTSCC races!

Lastly, you'll realize that you NEVER have to wait for a point-by again on track if you take a club race school and get into that level of track time.

The school's are around $500 and worth every penny. You do not need a race car to attend race school, however you car should be teched and prepared for an HPDE. If you are interested and can set aside the time and cash, please post here so I can redirect names and start collecting contact info so we can have the VIR event include a race school. I'll be there!

I'm also working on editing tons of video to present a concise comparison between HPDE track time and Race School track time because it's night and day different.

2004.5 M3 SMG
CF CSL Trunk, CSL replica bumper, 18x9.5 BW Arc-8's w/ 245/265 Hankook R-S3s, PFC 08 pads, SS brake lines, Prospeed 683 Brake fluid, ISC N1 Coilovers, Powerflex poly RTABs and sway bar bushings, Treehouse delrin FCABs,Tint, BSW I-Pod Dock, and 7 BMW CCA HPDS at VIR- A-Group, 2:14.10 VIR Full Course, 1:51's CMP, 1:24.4 Roebling Road, with no motor mods besides BW intake boot and K&N drop in filter
E46 WOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
E46 WOT

Anyone track their car? those FIA curbs sure are Bumpy...

2004.5 M3 SMG
CF CSL Trunk, CSL replica bumper, 18x9.5 BW Arc-8's w/ 245/265 Hankook R-S3s, PFC 08 pads, SS brake lines, Prospeed 683 Brake fluid, ISC N1 Coilovers, Powerflex poly RTABs and sway bar bushings, Treehouse delrin FCABs,Tint, BSW I-Pod Dock, and 7 BMW CCA HPDS at VIR- A-Group, 2:14.10 VIR Full Course, 1:51's CMP, 1:24.4 Roebling Road, with no motor mods besides BW intake boot and K&N drop in filter
Old 01-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Nd4SpdGirl

My Ride: 06 325xi Wagon
I am interested as long as my car passes tech inspection. I do have a few questions. 1. What does HPDE stand for? 2. What experience dose one need (I do SCCA and local autocross)? I have done open track days at New Jersey Motorsport park but I just bought my BMW in May and it is currently stock until I can place my Koni's sport suspension. If you get any more information can you please let us know?
Nd4SpdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
E46 WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nd4SpdGirl View Post
I am interested as long as my car passes tech inspection. I do have a few questions. 1. What does HPDE stand for? 2. What experience dose one need (I do SCCA and local autocross)? I have done open track days at New Jersey Motorsport park but I just bought my BMW in May and it is currently stock until I can place my Koni's sport suspension. If you get any more information can you please let us know?
There isn't a tech inspection at the event, students will have an independant shop tech the car before the event. Street cars are allowed so as long as it is deemed fit for track time you'll be fine to do the race school.

1. High Performance Driving School
2. Experiance needs to be A or B student with BMW CCA HPDE's or signed off Solo with other groups in HPDE's.

What other questions might you have?

2004.5 M3 SMG
Old 01-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
E46 WOT

Any BMW CCA A-Students, NASA HPDE 3/4, or Solo level students reading this?

2004.5 M3 SMG

Last edited by E46 WOT; 01-29-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
E46 WOT

Last I heard from the Chief Instructor, there may only be room for another 6-7 cars, this will be the last I'll post about it. Registration is available on http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/events/events.aspx the dates are April 10-11. Cost is $500. This will be a really fun time, 3 wide drills, late pass drills, open lapping with no pointbys, practice starts with accomplished club racers mixed in with the students, All-Star instructors, VIR Full Course, what more can you want from 2 track days!!!? Plus the new VIR pavement is super fast, club racers are already setting new lap records for their classes.

2004.5 M3 SMG