E46 Fanatics Forum banner

VF Engineering kit - M54B30

27K views 58 replies 9 participants last post by  Rob43 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all. While I'm more of a lurker since I don't own an E46, I figured some of those on the FI fence could benefit from a quick video. I know I was scouring youtube to figure out what the car would sound like before taking the plunge. My car has an M54B30, so a 330i/ci should sound very similar. Feel free to shoot any questions my way.

Compilation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C77MFV-pWHo

Rev, parking speeds, WOT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQy2MtIww4U

Sorry about all the dust. The car spends most of its life with the top down, but it's getting a detail very soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_fNKYFNlHU

Edit 10/22/2013: The car now has a 3.64 final drive paired with Supersprint headers, Y-pipe, and race exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roqXCCtc23M

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQku3zFUa_8

The car runs perfectly. Here's a quick video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ-bkB4l4cY

See less See more
#5 ·
No dyno, and no intercooler. I'm throwing around options right now to get more power. The added boost has been great though!

VF used to claim 330 hp. I've seen this kit listed as "310 hp" recently. I'd side with 310 hp, based on some quick math.

225 hp * (6 + 14.7) / 14.7 = 317 hp

Then subtract some for parasitic losses and supercharger (in)efficiencies. 310 hp is reasonable.

#7 ·
Manual; 3.07, but my transmission is different. It works out to similar top speeds in each gear as a stock 330 6-speed.

The VF kit is probably the easiest on the car of any FI kit, because it only runs 6 psi at redline. That also means it makes the least power. You don't need to worry about upgrading anything, unlike other kits, so this truly is the cheapest option beyond just the initial cost of the kit... unless you decide you want more power. Clutches are rated based on torque, and the VF kit doesn't increase torque numbers by much at max torque (something like a 20% increase). Instead, it adds torque as the rpm climbs, where it would normally fall off because the engine becomes less efficient. This makes for a very flat torque curve.

The downside is that you don't get instant power at low rpm. You have to wind the engine out to get moving. But again, the stock clutch is fine if it's in good condition, where other kits may require replacement.

#8 ·
Do you think you can upgrade it get some more hp?
My 330Ci has a 5sp gearbox (from M3 E36 3.0) and 3.38 diff. I live in an island, so top speed is not my comcern.
My clutch is sachs new (20k) and i recently did a full engine rebuild and added headers+200 cell Magnaflow cats.
Do you have any vid from inside? 0-60?

#9 ·
You can upgrade it with a smaller pulley, but just know that it will void whatever warranty VF gives you. I haven't measured yet, but I don't think the pulley is a standard Vortech pulley, so you'll need someone to make one for you. You'll need a tune too, which is the hardest part. I see no issue with bumping it up to 8 psi, especially with water/meth and a good tune. Some people run around at 8.5 psi with no intercooler on ESS Stage 1 twin screw setups with the TS2+ pulley, and those setups should be more prone to detonation because they boost the car more at peak torque.

#10 ·
I love ESS.. i believe i would be nice even with a TS1.. lots of torque from low rpm..in addition with my 5sp and 3.38 diff would be a nice toy.. but the cost is a bit high..

If i go with VF i will keep it as VF sells it..
I don't like making epxperiments.. i prefer sure/guarented/tested options/upgrades..

I also have an ASA kit as an option with 320hp and +100NM..

Haven't decided yet..

#11 ·
If you're talking about G-Power, I'm not sure they make the kit anymore. If they do, it's a good option. My G-Power kit on my Z4M puts out a lot more midrange than other kits that run similar max boost levels. I see peak boost from 6k rpm to the 8k rpm redline.

Here is another video, and it's all I'll have until the end of the month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk9p3LohodU

#21 ·
It was for both sound and peace of mind. The Tial is a much better design. As far as sound is concerned, it's really quiet. Some of this could be my intake routing (the filter is next to the headlight in the front bumper). I can't hear it at all. I had to have an adapter made to get it to fit in line with the hoses, because it's meant to be welded on. VF's ducting is molded plastic, so I had to have some custom work done. Considering the price, PITA install, and lack of pshhhh, I don't know if I would do it again. Now that it's in though, it's hard to be disappointed :)

#22 ·
This thread is super helpful and informative! I have been looking at the VF centrifugal kit for my 2002 330i but wasn't sure if it was worth the cost. I have just a few questions for you: 1. did you install the kit your self, and how difficult was it? 2. VF says that it is completely bolt on is that true or is there any modification that you have to do? And 3. one sit said that the kit came with new software, but if I remember what I read in the earlier posts, you said that you used a different software. I was wondering what software you used and why?

Thanks again

#24 ·
1. I installed it myself. The best thing to do would be to Google my review on Zpost. It's pretty detailed, and it's against the rules for me to link it here.

2. There are small modifications, like cutting old hoses in half and clamping new pieces on. Technically anything is reversible with enough money. Expect to make a few trips to the hardware and auto parts stores. This kit (like all others out there) aren't like Legos, where everything fits cleanly and neatly together. Realistic expectations must be set beforehand, otherwise you will be disappointed. Parts will break during removal and install.

My kit was an early iteration, low volume, and an adaptation of the E46 kit. I probably ran into a few extra issues that required ingenuity and relied on mechanical knowledge more so than the average E46 install (raising the engine, rerouting the intake piping, etc). I was also lacking in mechanical knowledge prior to the install, and I didn't have a shop to rely on to fix my mistakes, so that complicated things.

3. The kit comes with software. VF offers a flash tuner now, possibly for extra money. You can pay to ship your ECU back and forth to them.

Hope this helps!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#36 · (Edited)
Does the car currently have any fuel trim or MAF codes? Does the afr still look like the dyno graph in the pic you posted above? We just finished an install on a customer's Z4 with a MS45 ecu and the afr plot is off the chart rich in the midrange just like your graph. Also, what year is your car? MS45 ecu?

-Mike

#38 ·
It is an option, but far from a correct way to fix the issue. It would only be feasible if the car was rich at idle, part throttle, and wot. If it was only rich at wot and lowered fuel pressure until it leaned it out to 11.8 in the midrange, it would make the car lean at idle and pt, and would adapt positive to correct the lean issue, getting right back to your starting point unless it maxed out fuel trims and threw some codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.