E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #21
pokeybritches

My Ride: G-Power Z4M, VF Z4
It was for both sound and peace of mind. The Tial is a much better design. As far as sound is concerned, it's really quiet. Some of this could be my intake routing (the filter is next to the headlight in the front bumper). I can't hear it at all. I had to have an adapter made to get it to fit in line with the hoses, because it's meant to be welded on. VF's ducting is molded plastic, so I had to have some custom work done. Considering the price, PITA install, and lack of pshhhh, I don't know if I would do it again. Now that it's in though, it's hard to be disappointed

G Power Z4M and VF Engineering Z4 3.0i
pokeybritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
GFKETHAN

My Ride: 2002 330i Sport
This thread is super helpful and informative! I have been looking at the VF centrifugal kit for my 2002 330i but wasn't sure if it was worth the cost. I have just a few questions for you: 1. did you install the kit your self, and how difficult was it? 2. VF says that it is completely bolt on is that true or is there any modification that you have to do? And 3. one sit said that the kit came with new software, but if I remember what I read in the earlier posts, you said that you used a different software. I was wondering what software you used and why?

Thanks again
GFKETHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #23
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
OP,

Just to clarify, this kit is the VF "VFK 17-01" right ?

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #24
pokeybritches

VF Engineering kit - M54B30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFKETHAN View Post
This thread is super helpful and informative! I have been looking at the VF centrifugal kit for my 2002 330i but wasn't sure if it was worth the cost. I have just a few questions for you: 1. did you install the kit your self, and how difficult was it? 2. VF says that it is completely bolt on is that true or is there any modification that you have to do? And 3. one sit said that the kit came with new software, but if I remember what I read in the earlier posts, you said that you used a different software. I was wondering what software you used and why?

Thanks again
1. I installed it myself. The best thing to do would be to Google my review on Zpost. It's pretty detailed, and it's against the rules for me to link it here.

2. There are small modifications, like cutting old hoses in half and clamping new pieces on. Technically anything is reversible with enough money. Expect to make a few trips to the hardware and auto parts stores. This kit (like all others out there) aren't like Legos, where everything fits cleanly and neatly together. Realistic expectations must be set beforehand, otherwise you will be disappointed. Parts will break during removal and install.

My kit was an early iteration, low volume, and an adaptation of the E46 kit. I probably ran into a few extra issues that required ingenuity and relied on mechanical knowledge more so than the average E46 install (raising the engine, rerouting the intake piping, etc). I was also lacking in mechanical knowledge prior to the install, and I didn't have a shop to rely on to fix my mistakes, so that complicated things.

3. The kit comes with software. VF offers a flash tuner now, possibly for extra money. You can pay to ship your ECU back and forth to them.

Hope this helps!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 12-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #25
pokeybritches

VF Engineering kit - M54B30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
OP,

Just to clarify, this kit is the VF "VFK 17-01" right ?
I'm not sure. It's the non-intercooled 6 psi Vortech V3 SCi kit that's very similar to the 330 kit.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:36 AM   #26
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
Read your review @zpost..
How does the new bpv sound-work?
I ordered my vf kit yesterday!
Also installed a 3,62 M3 diff and i love it.
I believe adding the sc would be awesome.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #27
pokeybritches

I can't really hear the BPV. It has to do with my intake routing. I don't regret doing it, because the Tial is so high quality, but I could see some doing it for the sound and then being disappointed.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #28
zaharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I can't really hear the BPV. It has to do with my intake routing. I don't regret doing it, because the Tial is so high quality, but I could see some doing it for the sound and then being disappointed.

Thanks man.

I will stick with the one VF has when i install the kit and i will see later..

Do you have any gauges installed? (AFR-boost..??)
Old 03-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #29
zaharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharias View Post
Do you have any gauges installed? (AFR-boost..??)
??????????????

Also, do you have any videos from inside? I wanna see a 0-60 with the 3.64 + the supercharger..!!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #30
pokeybritches

The car is stored 800 miles away until winter weather clears. I haven't completed a gauge install. Now taking donations.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #31
zaharias

Smile

Quote:
The car is stored 800 miles away until winter weather clears. I haven't completed a gauge install. Now taking donations.

I understand..

Post updates when you take a video or install any gauges.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #32
pokeybritches

2nd-3rd gear

Old 04-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #33
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Very nice, it sounds great. One thing I did notice in your video, you're clearly breaking the 35mph speed limit !

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 04-21-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #34
pokeybritches

Haha, yeah, unfortunately it's the only non-residential place I can go WOT for a moment. Rest assured that it was reined in right away

Old 04-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #35
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Car sounds great man! Any speedo vids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Very nice, it sounds great. One thing I did notice in your video, you're clearly breaking the 35mph speed limit !

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #36
mike@maximumpsi
boost junky

My Ride: 02M3T, 97M3T
Quote:

Does the car currently have any fuel trim or MAF codes? Does the afr still look like the dyno graph in the pic you posted above? We just finished an install on a customer's Z4 with a MS45 ecu and the afr plot is off the chart rich in the midrange just like your graph. Also, what year is your car? MS45 ecu?

-Mike
Click here for E46Fanatics 1/4 mile standings
Like us on facebook to follow our latest builds and upcoming events!

Last edited by mike@maximumpsi; 04-22-2014 at 06:20 PM.
mike@maximumpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #37
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@maximumpsi View Post
Does the car currently have any fuel trim or MAF codes? Does the afr still look like the dyno graph in the pic you posted above? We just finished an install on a customer's Z4 with a MS45 ecu and the afr plot is off the chart rich in the midrange just like your graph. Also, what year is your car? MS45 ecu?

-Mike

Mike, could that problem be corrected by slightly lowering the overall fuel pressure (mechanically) in the system ?

Rob43

Quote:
Old 04-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #38
mike@maximumpsi
boost junky

My Ride: 02M3T, 97M3T
It is an option, but far from a correct way to fix the issue. It would only be feasible if the car was rich at idle, part throttle, and wot. If it was only rich at wot and lowered fuel pressure until it leaned it out to 11.8 in the midrange, it would make the car lean at idle and pt, and would adapt positive to correct the lean issue, getting right back to your starting point unless it maxed out fuel trims and threw some codes.
Click here for E46Fanatics 1/4 mile standings
Like us on facebook to follow our latest builds and upcoming events!
mike@maximumpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #39
pokeybritches

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@maximumpsi View Post

-Mike
I will pull the codes tomorrow evening when I get home. I did have rich codes for both primary O2 sensors when I initially installed the kit. A shop found a boost leak at the same time I put in aftermarket headers (I have a CEL now due to some Magnaflow cats that are too small). I'm not sure if the problem has been corrected. Regardless, the original tune is way too rich.

I called VF earlier today and ordered the flash tuner. I explained my issues to them, and they have my dyno. Hopefully they will correct everything soon. I also have stalling issues in cool weather. When OAT is in the 40's, letting off from WOT induces a stall where the car drops to idle and ignores throttle inputs. The colder it is, the easier it is to induce a stall. I'm giving them a chance to work things out, and tech support noted my issues over the phone.

I think the issues are limited to the Z4. I'm fairly certain the car is MS45. It's a 2003.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:01 PM   #40
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

What's your Build date (month & year) on your door jam, this will indicate whether you have a MS43 or MS45.1.

For instance my 330Ci is a 2003 also, so most would think it's a MS45.1 . But its build date is 8 or 9 of 2002, this makes it a MS43 .

Quote: