E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #21
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Using any "cloud" is just a horrible, horrible idea..

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
Torok.Designs

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
None, store everything on the cloud and don't worry about it. Online storage from Google is super cheap to the point where it's not even worth dropping $100+ on your own hard drive that will fail. Not a matter of if but when.

If you spread things out over a few services, you can do it all for free. I have my entire collection of completed edits on the cloud. I keep all the RAW and jpeg files on my WD external. I do delete a ton of photos though for blurry, underexposed, etc just to cut down on using storage unnecessarily.
I've never really understood cloud and am not sure where all my pictures and info could end up. I don't want my private stuff somehow viewable because of cloud.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #23
DetroitFarher

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Well, the NAS is a great option for me. I save my images via my gigabit network and really don't notice a huge bottleneck. And for backing-up, it's perfect. *shrug*. A NAS enclosuer is $89. Couple of 1GB hdds are cheap too.
DetroitFarher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #24
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitFarher View Post
Well, the NAS is a great option for me. I save my images via my gigabit network and really don't notice a huge bottleneck. And for backing-up, it's perfect. *shrug*. A NAS enclosuer is $89. Couple of 1GB hdds are cheap too.
I'd need quite a few of those 1GB hdds, can I use TB drives?

Last edited by intelone; 12-05-2013 at 12:05 AM.
intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #25
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
I have five G Technology drives and they have never disappointed me. If you have clients that may need images you shot years ago or sell Stock, I would go with G Tech drives. The consumer drives are not as dependable and I sleep better knowing that every image and document is backed up at least two drives.
tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #26
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
Using any "cloud" is just a horrible, horrible idea..
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torok.Designs View Post
I've never really understood cloud and am not sure where all my pictures and info could end up. I don't want my private stuff somehow viewable because of cloud.
It goes to a giant server farm that has redundant backups for everything. What private stuff do you have that you don't want viewable? If your computer is connected to the internet, everything you has is already viewable.

People on this site act as though they have NSA top secret level documents that they need to keep stored away on their computer. It's not like you upload pictures of your credit cards, passport, social security card, drivers license, etc. You are just uploading RAW files and completed photo edits.

Use a reputable source for storing your stuff like Google Drive or Microsoft Skydrive and you should be fine.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #27
Torok.Designs

I don't know. Thanks for the input but I think I'd rather go with an external hard drive.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #28
Fergo

Yeah, or you can actually have the photos in your possession..........on a hard drive.......... Who the **** said anything about the NSA brah?

2 easy 2 make hp turbos

Last edited by Fergo; 12-05-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #29
SamDoe1

Quote:
Yeah, or you can actually have the photos in your possession..........on a hard drive.......... Who the **** said anything about the NSA brah?
And I do have them in my possession, I just back them up to the cloud as a last resort backup solution. What happens if your external hard drive fails brah?
Old 12-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #30
Fergo

Quote:
And I do have them in my possession, I just back them up to the cloud as a last resort backup solution. What happens if your external hard drive fails brah?
A back up of the back up

could even back up the back up if you so desired

Inception
Having redundant back up drives is nothing new
With the price of hard drives today, why not have multiple ones?

2 easy 2 make hp turbos

Last edited by Fergo; 12-05-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #31
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #32
DetroitFarher

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelone View Post
I'd need quite a few of those 1GB hdds, can I use TB drives?
Haha. i meant TB.

The Buffalo Link station Duo will hold two 3TB Drives for 3TB (RAID-1) or 6TB (RAID-0).

Unless I'm bass-ackwards.. You get the point.

6TB striped, 3TB mirrored.
DetroitFarher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #33
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
OP, this is currently available for $334:

G-Technology G-RAID Dual External Hard Drive with USB 3.0, Firewire 400, Firewire 800 Interfaces and RAID 0

Link: http://amzn.com/B009PK6VWM

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #34
SamDoe1

Quote:
A back up of the back up

could even back up the back up if you so desired

Inception
Having redundant back up drives is nothing new
With the price of hard drives today, why not have multiple ones?
Like I said, I do have a back up of all my files on an external but that external does nothing for me if something catastrophic happens. Lightning strike? House fire? Someone breaks in and steals it? Any number of things could happen to that data and putting it on the cloud in Google drive is certainly safer than keeping the only back up of the back up of the back up in your house.

It's not at all a means to be cheap about it, just being smart about it. No one is going to steal all your data, take off your tin foil hat.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 12-09-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #35
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
^ Whats the confusion here?

Buy two external 2.5 drives with USB 3.0

Back up all your stuff manually. Hopefully you are organized.

Disconnect it. Put it in safe or waterproof box.

Attach the second drive. Rinse and Repeat.

You will always have a back up not connected to your computer.

You will have two drives in case your computer and the back up dies.

Simple and cheap and 99.9999999% bullet proof.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #36
Fergo

Quote:
Like I said, I do have a back up of all my files on an external but that external does nothing for me if something catastrophic happens. Lightning strike? House fire? Someone breaks in and steals it? Any number of things could happen to that data and putting it on the cloud in Google drive is certainly safer than keeping the only back up of the back up of the back up in your house.

It's not at all a means to be cheap about it, just being smart about it. No one is going to steal all your data, take off your tin foil hat.

wow

just

incredible

It's ok friend you don't understand.

BACK TO THE CLOUD!?!?!

I know you're trying to be super tech and defending the "cloud" But people in the know (IT) know that all cloud services are not as safe and secure as you'd think.
And if you think I still have my tin foil hat on and think you know better than me please go get a degree in computer engineering technology and come report back to me.
lawl.

Or maybe you can read this and try and wrap your brain around it, if you are able to.
Quote:
Cloud computing has many upsides, the chief advantage being that all of the data management is done by the cloud provider. It relieves you, the user, from having to worry about overhead and administration. However, this comes with the potential sacrifice of security and privacy.
Since all of your data is being held by someone else, cloud services are inherently risky. We already discussed the possibility of losing all of your data when a cloud provider goes belly up overnight, but there's also the issue of data confidentiality. What happens if the cloud provider is hacked? What if their data - which is actually your data - gets leaked by a rogue employee? What if they give up your data in light of a government subpoena?
It comes down to this: don't put data on a cloud if you wouldn't be comfortable with that data being exposed at some time in the future. You just can't know beforehand that your data will remain secret forever.
If you still can't grasp it I have plenty of other articles for you to try and read

or you can just google "dangers of cloud computing" and then you might...just might...understand that the concerns of cloud computing are real and you are a fucking moron if you don't realize it.

2 easy 2 make hp turbos

Last edited by Fergo; 12-09-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #37
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
Take the second backup HD offsite. Leave it at your GF's house, parent's house, or even at work. Rotate it weekly with the backup you have at home. You don't want all your backups in one location.
intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #38
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
multiple backups via HD (Primary HD, Secondary Internal HD and an Ext HD), USB Drives and DVD-R (at some point a BluRay Burner to replace DVD-R), ALWAYS in my control. No Cloud b.s. for me even for redundancy because it's not in my control anymore.
USB Drives are in my bug-out bag.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 12-13-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:51 AM   #39
Torok.Designs

I'm going to go with a passport. The positive reviews seem to outweigh the bad. Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #40
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
I hope your experience is better than mine

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote