E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
straight_beamin

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
AA stage 2 kit 323i, couple questions :)

So i have a stage 2 hks kit for my little 323i. I had it up for sale but have decided to keep it and enjoy it.

I have a 3.46 installed in the rear end. Is this going to be too aggressive for the car with the kit? I dont do so much highway driving and it makes the car peppy around the city.

Also i am totally new to forced induction. I know with turbos an upgraded exhaust system helps a ton. Is it similiar with superchargers?

I have catless ebay headers installed and pretty much just straightpipe magnaflow with one resonator. I know every car is different, AA states 340hp at the crank on a stock car... what can i expect with catless headers and exhaust? Just a few ponies or will it be a big help.

Should i get the blower inspected (bought used) before installing, everything seems clean and blower spins and doesnt seem to be seized or anything.

Thanks for helping a noob out

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
colecoop56

My Ride: 02 325ci w/ m3 6spd
Go to a performance shop that works with superchargers and get them to test the blower. If it has play or is not working right you can save yourself a headache. I wouldn't imagine a rebuild would be more than $400.00. I am actually going through the same thing you are. I just bought a used kit last week.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
straight_beamin

good idea, just want to find someone local
Old 12-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
straight_beamin

Re: AA stage 2 kit 323i, couple questions :)

Any idea on power with catless headers and straight pipe exhaust?

Old 12-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
colecoop56

With a supercharger it would make more power than the stock exhaust. If you don't run FI you will lose some Torque down low. I have catless headers which I gained horsepower with and when I added the 3" exhaust I didn't lose any power but only might have gained a few horsepower. 3" would be overkill for NA non M car. I would go to a single 2.5" if thats the case.

Also I wouldn't run pure straight pipe. I have to straight through muffles in my 3" so it doesn't drone and is not obnoxious.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
straight_beamin

It is 2.5 inch dual then halfway there is a y pipe to a single 2.5 inch pipe then resonator and magnaflow muffler on the end

Last edited by straight_beamin; 12-24-2013 at 10:08 AM.
straight_beamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Alan L.
TWC Alumni

My Ride: AW M-Sport
Usually with a SC you don't want such a low (numerically high) diff because you want to keep car under boost longer to reap its benefits.

I am really doubting AA's claim of 340hp at the crank for a 323 which comes with 170HP stock. I had the same car which was also supercharged and it made nowhere near 340hp with the SC, exhaust, Schrick cams etc... Not even close.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R |||More Photos of my car here|||
Alan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
The headers will give you good gains but as long as you got that resonator in there, it shouldnt be too raspy on your 323.

I would expect it to dyno somewhere around 260 rwhp or more with headers.

As for the rear end, it might be too aggressive for a 5 speed. I went from a 2.91 to 3.46 and settled on a 3.07 off a zhp on my old 5 speed ESS 330ci.

3.15 would be a good upgrade too without making the engine feel high strung due to gearing

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."

Last edited by MachRc; 12-24-2013 at 12:25 PM.
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
straight_beamin

Ok, thanks for all input. I believe i did see actives dyno on a stock at 267whp so even that would be awesome plus maybe 10 with the headers.

As for gearing, 3.15 would probably be the best choice as mentioned. Any idea what car it comes out of?

Old 12-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
I would say 280ish whp with the headers at 8-9 PSI, I had a ASA tm-12 kit few years back and at 9 psi with headers/3.46 quaife LSD diff I made 295 whp and 290 wtrq, my car was also a 323 but coupe, I loved my 3.46 diff with the 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_beamin View Post
Ok, thanks for all input. I believe i did see actives dyno on a stock at 267whp so even that would be awesome plus maybe 10 with the headers.

As for gearing, 3.15 would probably be the best choice as mentioned. Any idea what car it comes out of?

Old 12-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
colecoop56

Quote:
It is 2.5 inch dual then halfway there is a y pipe to a single 2.5 inch pipe then resonator and magnaflow muffler on the end

With a supercharged I would use a y merger directly from the headers to a 3" exhaust using a resonator muffler in the missed and a 18" muffler at the rear. It doesn't sound to loud at all and will be perfect for a FI setup. I am using two magnaflow mufflers on my 3" and it sounds amazing
Old 12-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
straight_beamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
I would say 280ish whp with the headers at 8-9 PSI, I had a ASA tm-12 kit few years back and at 9 psi with headers/3.46 quaife LSD diff I made 295 whp and 290 wtrq, my car was also a 323 but coupe, I loved my 3.46 diff with the 5 spd

that is awesome... the car will be a ton more fun then before no doubt which is what I am looking for. plus I will be able to hang with some faster (from factory) cars which is also nice
Old 12-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
So i have a stage 2 hks kit for my little 323i. I had it up for sale but have decided to keep it and enjoy it.

I have a 3.46 installed in the rear end. Is this going to be too aggressive for the car with the kit? I dont do so much highway driving and it makes the car peppy around the city.

Also i am totally new to forced induction. I know with turbos an upgraded exhaust system helps a ton. Is it similiar with superchargers?

I have catless ebay headers installed and pretty much just straightpipe magnaflow with one resonator. I know every car is different, AA states 340hp at the crank on a stock car... what can i expect with catless headers and exhaust? Just a few ponies or will it be a big help.

Should i get the blower inspected (bought used) before installing, everything seems clean and blower spins and doesnt seem to be seized or anything.

Thanks for helping a noob out

Glad to see you have our HKS Kit running on your E46. Upgrading to Catless headers and Performance Exhaust will add some extra ponies that have been held back from the Factory Headers. Make sure you have sufficient fluid for your Blower lack of lubrication can cause the blower to seize up. Please feel free to shoot me a PM or contact me directly.
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote