E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #41
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
North Korea has yet to successfully test a long-range missile or ICBM. They have issues with the most basic protocols, much less with the successful assembly and deployment of any nuke, which would, in any event, need to be minituarized far beyond their current capabilities before it could even be considered deployable. Even if they have the capability of assembling a nuke, they're much more likely to blow themselves up accidentally than to actually be able to attack anyone (and remember, South Korea is right next door). Of their three confirmed nuclear tests... two were unsuccessful, and the third was wildly below expected yields.

Edit: Here's an article that echoes my impressions above.

Plus, I still don't think they have a few dozen dogs left anywhere in their entire country.

Last edited by BoogetyBoogety; 01-03-2014 at 07:01 PM.
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #42
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
i think Kim Jong Un is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesn't afraid of anything
Old 01-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #43
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
I see no reason to attack NK. A small precision US attack has no guarantees that it would remain isolated and not spiral out of control. The potential of an excessive casualties and regional destabilization remain high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
We can't bomb NK. They have every missile and bomb aimed at SK.

They are still at war, and NK could wipe out most of SK. It would be suicide, but it is possible.

Without China, we are powerless to change NK. Short of annihilation that is.
That excuse can always be used, but then they get stronger and stronger......when they figure out how to make a successful nuke, it'll be too late.

I know the whole country is militarized, but having a bunch of bombs and a military that knows how to deploy them and a population to support them are different things.

If the border was open between the North and the South tomorrow, North Koreans would flood the border, provided they could get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogetyBoogety View Post
North Korea has yet to successfully test a long-range missile or ICBM. They have issues with the most basic protocols, much less with the successful assembly and deployment of any nuke, which would, in any event, need to be minituarized far beyond their current capabilities before it could even be considered deployable. Even if they have the capability of assembling a nuke, they're much more likely to blow themselves up accidentally than to actually be able to attack anyone (and remember, South Korea is right next door). Of their three confirmed nuclear tests... two were unsuccessful, and the third was wildly below expected yields.

Edit: Here's an article that echoes my impressions above.

Plus, I still don't think they have a few dozen dogs left anywhere in their entire country.

I know they have been unsuccessful, but the idea is to stop them before they are. Even if they fail, they can still share technology with Iran, Al Qeda.....anyone that has money. When they figure out how to do it correctly, then it will be too late. We need to stop them now. Screw Iran, Syria, Somalia........NK is the real threat.

NK is a paper tiger. I know they have 12k field artillery pieces on the DMZ and I now that on paper they have 1m soldiers, 2k aircraft and a 300 ship Navy with 4 subs......

But having big numbers on paper and knowing how to use them and SUSTAIN it are different issues.

We should get the international community to give them an ultimatum, allow us to inspect their sites and if they refuse ........cruise missiles and stealth bombers baby. And not just against the missile sites, but against his house and the intel centers too.

They used your same argument in 1937 when Germany absorbed Austria and Czechoslovakia. Then when they got strong enough, look what they did.

Last edited by Raymond42262; 01-03-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #44
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
You're basically saying to bomb anyone who you see as a potential future threat. The world doesn't work that way.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #45
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
You're basically saying to bomb anyone who you see as a potential future threat. The world doesn't work that way.
It will seem like a reasonable step if they are threatening you with nukes, especially if you live in L.A.

The world seems to be aligning against Iran that way.

And when Israel attacked Iraq's nuke facilities in 1982? and ended their initial ambitions, no one seemed to care.

When Reagan bombed Libya and put his NBC operations out of business no one cared.

It did not seem to bother Obama and Hillary when they bombed Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and assisted the rebels in Syria when they did nothing to threaten us.

It did not seem to bother Obama when he recently bombed strategic targets in Yemen

It happens every day.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #46
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
It will seem like a reasonable step if they are threatening you with nukes, especially if you live in L.A.

The world seems to be aligning against Iran that way.

And when Israel attacked Iraq's nuke facilities in 1982? and ended their initial ambitions, no one seemed to care.

When Reagan bombed Libya and put his NBC operations out of business no one cared.

It did not seem to bother Obama and Hillary when they bombed Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and assisted the rebels in Syria when they did nothing to threaten us.

It did not seem to bother Obama when he recently bombed strategic targets in Yemen

It happens every day.
yeah, but, you've got China to worry about. Don't think they'd look to kindly on the US bombing NK. Question is, what would China do about it? What would be NK's response , head south into SK which would inevitably draw the US into conflict?

Let's not forget how China supported the north in the Korean War.

I think the best thing to do, for now, is to keep them cut off and isolated.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 01-03-2014 at 09:09 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #47
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Kim Jung Un - Swell Guy

North Korea doesn't have to sustain an offensive. They just have to level Seoul. That's their one and only trump card, and they maintain it well. They don't need another card in their hand. Neither the US not South Korea is willing to sacrifice Seoul.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #48
badfast

My Ride: A Car
The North Korean path is unsustainable. Hell, much of it stability is because China doesn't want a refugee crisis. I wouldn't be surprised if Un is the last in line of the Kim dynasty. Perhaps Thaek was involved with groups seeking to isolate Un and his execution wasn't a symbolic gesture declaring Un's graduation from student to ruler. Un is doing what all dictators do, ensuring the survivability of his regime. They know the art of brinkmanship and an all out war could signal the collapse of the Kim dynasty, at the cost of millions of South Korean and North Korean lives. Let this house of cards crumble on its own, no sense in trying to blow it over when its collapse is inevitable.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #49
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
I was referencing Kim Jung Un........I think it is true.........they did not think the concentration camps of WW2 were real either , until the war was over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_22
This line of reasoning is just horrific. I award you no points.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:48 PM   #50
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Daily Show had a good bit on this:

"Apparently there is a fire caused by Godzilla. That is unconfirmed but he did just say it and I am repeating it on camera." - John Oliver http://on.cc.com/1cNZkVx

That's classic.

Quote:
What kind of man would even circulate a story like this even if it was not true?

Remember, this is the same man that executed 90 people last month, in public; observed by 10k local citizens that were ordered to appear in the city square. And they were executed for such crimes as listening to western music on the radio and watching contraband dvd's.

And this is the same man that had one of his General's executed by tying him to a post and having them drop artillery pieces on him.

Who the heck 'trains ' dogs to eat people and keeps 300 of them if they do not intend to use them ?
It was 300 loyals watching. Only 120 dogs at the feast.

And why would a ruler execute a guy by shooting artillery at him? Think of the gruesome ways that drug cartels and organized crime kill people when they want not just to kill the person, but send a message to everyone else about what happens to people that cross them.

Let's say Uncle was machine gunned. Someone that opposes Un might make up the eaten-by-dogs story to try to discredit Un by making him look more brutal and heartless than he really is. But if Un really executed a guy with artillery, he WANTS to be seen as brutal and heartless, so he might not object to the fabricated story, because it serves his purpose. Or, if he thought in hindsight that machine-gunning Uncle wasn't brutal enough, he might instruct someone to fabricate the dog story and distribute it outside NK.

It sounds implausible to me. But if it's a lie, the source of the story could still be Un or his regime.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote