E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Picking up my Christmas present tomorrow...

Can't wait to shoot it!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Ughhh...what's up with the barrel? Or, where is it? Is it just massively ported/compensated?
ryanwhite74115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
The chiappa is definitely different than what's the norm. they designed it so rather than the bullet flying out where the barrel is aligned with the top of the cylinder, the barrel is aligned with the bottom of the cylinder. That way, the bore axis of the pistol is lowered, as a result there should be less felt recoil. Obviously there's the issue of where the front sight sits, so there's the extended area above.

I'm not a revolver guy, but I still appreciate the beauty and effort that goes into making a quality wheelgun.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
carcus

Ahhhhhh, it has arrived. Can't wait to put 100 rounds through it this Saturday.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
carcus

Range review report:

I shot it on a Saturday, way too busy at the range. People teaching their kids how to shoot their 22LR Christmas presents and I did not want to ruin their day that much. Got about 50 rounds of 357 through it, does have more kick than I imagined for the lower barrel configuration. Have not run 38 special through it but I will be doing that this Tuesday with some more 357.

Single action is not really single action as a regular revolver. It was sticking a little bit and had to manually move the cylinder. Everything about this gun is a little different. Still get some powder burns holding it 2 handed with the recommended grip.

Sights were a bit high, due to the range being crowded, I left before adjusting them. I know going with 38 and 357 it will take a few elevation adjustments.

Reaction on range, people were all looking at it. Was not too loud for me but some people thought it was. Now my old DE 50AE was a loud gun with some kick.

I still have a red dot on the way and am sure once I get the sights adjusted, will be dead on. If the cylinder sticks again going to single action...sending it back. Takes way too much effort to cock it in the simulated SA mode. Better report on Tuesday when I shoot it again. Might use a shooting glove I have to give my finger a break with the SA mode.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Picking up my Christmas present tomorrow...

Now take out the RFID chip. Should be under the grips

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #7
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
The low barrel config is to reduce barrel rise, it will Increase felt recoil as the gun cant pivot in your hand. (Shot 200M handgun silhouette for many years.) We did all kinds of crazy stuff building unlimited guns..

FYI shooting 38 is bad for when you want to shoot 357 in most revolvers, it starts a chamber burn too far back and eventually roughens the cylinder..
If you reload there is zero cost savings..
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:39 AM   #8
carcus

After shooting it a second time and putting about 100 357 rounds and 25 38 through it in one range setting....was working fine. Yes, it will heat up and after that many rounds, getting dirty...the SA mode will have some issues and need a cleaning.

I really love this gun for a revolver. This is a keeper!!! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I would say, personally....from a guy who never really liked wheel guns....this is the only gun that changed my mind.

Just have a really crummy test run holo sight on it now. Will see how that runs and if it holds up to the recoil of the 357 rounds. Really, just a play toy for me right now. People wonder what the heck the gun is though.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:53 AM   #9
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
I always practice with a glove if I'm shooting more than a few rounds, especially with textured grips. Always Muffs+plugs too. At my age I aint got much hearing left to waste...
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #10
carcus

My ex SEAL buddy could not believe I put 100 rounds of 357 in it and 20 rounds of 38 in one shooting. It did get dirty and made the what I call...false single action jam several times.

So far, this is not a reliable gun, but it is still getting broken in. After 120 rounds total in one shooting session...it does start to get hot as hell to hold. Then again, I put the same amount through my SS Kimber Raptor and it gets even hotter but still functions better.