E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
nimraynn

My Ride: 2000 E46 323Ci SE
Bit of an update.

Picked up a set of smoked Eagle Eye LED rears from MStyle:

Comparison of new on left, old on right:

And fitted:

Unfortunately thought one of them didn't have a seal, which I only realised after fitting them and we had a lot of rain, so the boot got soaked and my battery is now sat in a pool of water... so swapped the light on that side out for the old one and picking up a replacement tomorrow.

Also picked up a set of pressed metal number plates. The rear numberplate was pretty knackered and I'm surprised it passed the MOT a few months back. Also got some "carbon" effect numberplate surrounds. Not quite the "carbon" effect I was expecting, but I still kinda like them so still used them even if it's just a for now thing:

Preparing the car for winter soon, not that we have it terribly bad, but we generally do get some snow and ice... so I plan to put the CSL's into storage for a few months and bring back the old Style 44's. Got some yellow plasti-dip on order to freshen them up a bit and make them stand out during the dull winter months. As I hear we're due snow as early as November, I'll probably be getting those on pretty soonish.

Also got some yellow Lamin-X tinting film to cover the front fog lights with.... and finally, bought a set of used genuine xenon headlights with 5000K bulbs. They're currently on their way to me, should hopefully be here Monday/Tuesday, although I'm being optimistic and praying they get delivered tomorrow so I've got the weekend to fit them. Fat chance of Hermes delivering on a Saturday though, so I can only dream :lol:
nimraynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #22
nimraynn

Bought and fitted a set of genuine BMW OEM xenons for a bargain price of £200

Bought some Plastidip and started spraying up my Style 44's ready for winter. Colour is very marmite, you'll either love it or hate it.

Got some new rubber and fitted them:

These will stay on the car until about March/April. The rubber on the CSLs is near shot as they were only part worns and I do a lot of miles. Done nearly 25,000 miles since I bought the car a year ago. Give winter a chance to clear and got a bigger payslip at the end of March, so will sort some decent rubber

Sent the car into a mate's bodyshop to get the wings repaired as they'd started to rust. Only surface rust at this stage so thought I'd better get it treated before it got worse

Finally got around to tinting the foglights yellow using some Lamin-X tinting film:

Over Christmas, I decided it was finally time to do my audio upgrade. Ordered a JBL GTO-5355 5-channel amplifier, JL Audio CS110-WXv2 10" subwoofer and an Andrive AN-46 headunit. Chose the 5-channel amp as I plan to upgrade all 4 speakers when I have a bit of extra cash. Headunit helps improve the speakers for now, but new speakers are on the way.

Fitted the headunit:

And then today installed the sub and amp:

Layout is temporary for now. Once I've worked out where everything sits best, I'll cut out a wooden floor, cover it in some fancy fabric and bolt it down properly. Bungee cord is just there to stop it moving too far in the mean time
Old 05-18-2014, 05:32 AM   #23
nimraynn

Quite a few more updates

So first up, I finally got around to finishing the boot install for now. Cut out a sheet of MDF to the rough shape of the boot floor, then raised it about an inch to allow the cables to run underneath it.

Bolted the sub and amp down to test it all and decided on a layout where the sub is facing forwards through the rear seats to allow the most bass into the cabin and the amp to be neatly laid out behind it. Nicely, the amp and sub are almost identical widths so they lay out next to each other very neatly.

Once the layout was set, I wrapped the MDF in a thick grey faux suede fabric and bolted it all back down again. Ran the cables neatly underneath and bolted down the FastPlug as well. I think I may need some extra cable clips or something to stop the RCAs moving around too much, but I've only got the sub connected at the moment, so I'll wait until I do the rest of the speaker install before I worry too much about that. They're not going far

Don't know about you guys, heard it was pretty bad over in the US, but over the pond in the UK, we didn't really get a winter as such this year. We had some major flooding, a village only a few miles up the road was one of the worst affected and the whole town centre was under a good 3-4ft water on Christmas Day. Luckily, it didn't hit us as we're on higher ground... but with the lack of winter in mind, I threw the CSLs back on the car

Before I put them on, I fitted a full set of Falken FK-453 tyres. The Bridgestones I'd had on before were almost shot. The inside edge was nearly bald and the rest of the tyre had seen better days. On a bit of a budget for tyres at the time, but having been running the same tyres on my Style 44's for a few months and having used Falken tyres on previous cars, decided they were a good choice, and so far had no grip issues

I did however have issue with rubbing. Not sure if the shoulders are just squarer on the Falkens or whether it is due to them being brand new tyres, but the rears were rubbing majorly. Had to raise the rear on the adjusters a bit to be able to get it to clear the tyres. It was tight before, but never rubbed. I'm kinda happy with how it sits anyway, so going to leave it as it is for now.

An awesome deal came up not long after. Took a nice long drive down to Somerset from Kent. About 4 hours each way. Picked this lot up, which somehow, 95% of it went on the back seat with no trouble at all:

Really surprised that extra weight didn't cause any further rubbing issues on the rear

Full set of M3 seats. Fully electric and heated too, along with all the cards. My original seats are electric, but not heated. Not sure if I'm going to bother wiring up the heated elements, but good to know they're there if I fancy doing it one day.

Even though I'd been on the road for 8 hours already that day, got straight on it and whipped out the passenger seat.

Quick comparison of old vs new.

Gave the carpets a quick hoover out while I had good access to it and then put the M3 seat in

And both fronts fitted

The next weekend I set about stripping out the rear

And fitting the M3 ones:

Much much nicer.

The only problem I have is you can see there is a hole in the rear card. Turns out the original car they came out of had the HarmonKardon upgrade stereo whereas mine was just standard stereo... so I had no speakers there, but no blanks either. The card just had a whole bit of leather of it, so nothing to take off the old cards to plug the hole. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. May just get the speaker grills and put them in there... or I might find something else to put there. Not sure yet. Hardly anyone ever gets in the back to see them anyway

The next bit is no so good news. A few weeks ago, I was driving to work and a guy pulled out on me. I was approaching a set of traffic lights and was going to be turning right. It splits into two lanes at a KEEP CLEAR box. Loads of traffic on the left but the right lane was clear, so I started to head towards the right lane and a guy pulls out of a side turning on the left straight into my path.

Nothing too major, but still makes me cry

As you can see, the bumper is majorly scuffed up and slightly dented. There is some of his tyre on the wing, along with a scuff and crease up the top and a dent on the wheel arch. The headlight is also misaligned and as a result, the mounting bracket on the back of the indicator snapped clean off. To add insult to injury, I was limping it home that very evening and the indicator actually fell OUT on the motorway while doing about 60-70mph, leaving just the bulb hanging on the cable in front of the bumper.

So left it off the road for a few weeks while arranging with the insurance to get it repaired. Took it into a bodyshop in Tunbridge Wells and I got it back on Wednesday. I've got to say, I'm mightily impressed by their work!

As a result of the crash, I've now invested in a dash cam. Been meaning to get one since the Astra, my last car, got written off... but this crash has finally triggered the purchase. For just £27, I picked up a G1W camera and £13 for a 32GB Samsung microSD card.

The quality is amazing. Full 1080p HD quality. Really impressed with it.

Sorted out a few other little niggling bits and pieces over the weekend too. Finally got around to sourcing a metal *****ing rattling noise I had coming from the rear end somewhere. Turns out it was part of the rear passenger side shock top mount assembly. You've got the top mount nut on the top of the shock and underneath it is a metal plate. The two aren't tight to each other so there is a bit of a gap causing it to make the metal on metal *****ing noise. Tried to tighten it up but no matter what I try with hand tools, I can't get the damn thing to tighten up. So for now, I've just wedged a thickish bit of rubber in between the nut and the metal plate to act like a washer. This has stopped the noise and also pretty much stopped the parts moving. It'll do for now.

As the coilovers I have at the moment are only cheap TATechnix ones, I've been planning on getting a set of HSD Dualtechs for a while now. Now that I've found this, they've been bumped massively up my list of priorities.

That's all for now I think. Nothing else major to report... but plenty more planned to come
Old 05-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #24
blazedxjan

My Ride: 01 325ci
they did a great job on the repair, I'd cry as well. great job with the interior upgrade. The car looks great.

89' 240sx Coupe - Sold ): 98' 328is - RIP 91' Turbo MR2 - Sold 01' 325ci - Current
I like my Christmas hat; wanna fight about it?
blazedxjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #25
sj408

My Ride: E46
nice build so far.
sj408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #26
imDerpz

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Super sick. You should look into painting your seats. Im assuming your not a fan of Dove Gray
Old 06-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #27
nimraynn

Cheers guys

Actually I do like the grey. It's a nice contrast to the darker paint colour and helps brighten up the inside of the car

So it's been in for its annual MOT test and failed on the rubber boots on the droplinks were "worn". I picked up a new set of Lemförder links for the rear of a Hyundai Coupe considering the drop on the coilovers and fitted them. When I went to fit them though, I found the adjustable ones I'd fitted a year ago were a little worse than just "worn". The rubber boot on one link just disintegrated when I tapped it with a spanner!

It also needed a new N/S/F brake caliper as it was sticking as and when it felt like it and causing the brakes to cook. Somehow, it didn't fail the MOT on this, it was just an advisory for a "slight binding"... but then it majorly cooked again just on the journey home so I immediately booked it in for a same-day caliper replacement at a different garage.

Went out for a drive round London later that evening with a few mates. It was a planned tunnel run with a few guys from another club, but we had so much fun we just ended up driving around London having fun until 3am :lol:

Here are a few photos in the Leake Street tunnel by Waterloo station:

And here are a few shots of our cars together in Surrey Quays with Canary Wharf in the background:

Latest is today I had some new toys delivered:

A set of JBL GTO-609c 6.5" component speakers, a speaker sound deadening kit and some speaker adapters. I've got a set of 5m RCA cables on order from another seller and I've got some speaker wire lying around somewhere which should be enough to run it through. I want to run new cable rather than cut it off the headunit and extend.

I was planning on fitting them this weekend, but remembered I'm at a car show all weekend... so one day in the week or next weekend I'll get them fitted. I'll be fitting the M3 door cards at the same time. Couldn't see the point in taking all the speakers off the old door cards and putting them on the M3 ones to only take the speakers back out again and replace them. So they'll go on at the same time

Last edited by nimraynn; 06-06-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #28
blazedxjan

My Ride: 01 325ci
holy tits I love it man, sits sooo sharp

89' 240sx Coupe - Sold ): 98' 328is - RIP 91' Turbo MR2 - Sold 01' 325ci - Current
I like my Christmas hat; wanna fight about it?
blazedxjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #29
unklekeke

My Ride: 320ci
Really like the car man.
but then i would say that lol.
just wish i and a bit of a bigger lump like yours.
You've modded a lot of things i was planning, iv got the plates coming in the post and I'm waiting to order my 18"CSL replicas. Where did you get yours?
And its nice to see another on here from the uk.
top job
Old 06-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #30
nimraynn

Picked them up from CMWheels. I think they were about £440 delivered w/o tyres. Still loving them
Old 06-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #31
unklekeke

My Ride: 320ci
hero cheers pal
i purchase i will make in the very near future
Old 06-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #32
nimraynn

Minor update. A package from China arrived with these:

Pair of LED reversing lights.

So this is before:

Old left vs. new right:

All new:

And a close up when the light got a bit lower:

They're bloody bright and a great shade of white
Old 08-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #33
nimraynn

Went about fitting the new JBL front speakers. JBL GTO609c 6.5" components if you missed it above

First job was to take the M3 door cards I had lying around and cut back the plastic trim inside where the speaker sits. With this in place, I couldn't fit the speaker in the factory position:

With that trimmed, I could now fit the speaker in place:

Hooked it up to my Sony micro hi-fi to test and works brilliantly

One weekend, I then stripped the doors down:

New speaker vs. old one:

Picked up the M3 door cards and mounted the speaker, tweeter and crossover, plus ran all new speaker wire from the door through to the car and into the boot. I didn't want to chop up the existing wiring so ran it all fresh. Wasn't anywhere near as hard as people make it out to be.

Card mounted and looking completely stock:

Hooked it all up to the amp and its sounding good I did have a problem though. During this job I also ran two new sets of RCA cables from the amp to the headunit. I had one set in for the sub already, but needed another set for these speakers and would eventually need a set of the rear speakers too. One of the sets I ran in though was faulty as one of the plugs had a loose connection in it. As soon as I hooked up the new front speakers and went to test, only the left one worked. The right one was dead. A bit of troubleshooting pointed to the RCA cable. Prod it a bit and it'll come on and off as it moves. Got a replacement sorted by the seller though, so all sorted with minimal fuss

Not long after, I picked up some more audio toys

First a set of JBL GTO629 6.5" coaxial speakers for the rear

And a JBL GT5-12 subwoofer. The JL Audio one blew really quickly, but decided the 10" was too punchy and not deep enough, so opted for a 12" this time

Went out one night to see if any adjustments would be needed to fit the rear speakers and just ended up doing the job. New speaker vs. old speaker:

New speaker fitted:

I managed to get it to sit a bit better than it is in the pic above, but it was hard. Did a bit of trimming and eventually got it flat. The tweeter still sits a bit high though, so gets in the way of the speaker grill:

I've picked up a set of black grilles though on the dirt cheap so will have a play with a dremel and see if I can work something out fitment wise. May just cut a hole in the middle to let the tweeter sit proud of the cover.

Boxed up and fitted the sub, although this is the only pic I have of it boxed:

Obviously not fitted like that, but had a bit of a struggle. It only just fits! But it's fitted either way and sounds decent

Aside from audio upgrades, I've changed my grilles again temporarily. I had these matt black ones fitted, but they're not brilliant as they're aftermarket copies. They don't quite sit right so annoyed me a bit:

So I picked up a set of OEM grilles that have been painted gloss black. They're not in perfect condition, but they'll do for now:

Also borrowed my Dad's car to go pick up the first and biggest part of my exterior look. Making some major changes with a mixture of genuine and aftermarket parts. Found a genuine MSport kit for a decent price in pretty good condition, just needs a few touchups and painting

Don't plan on using the facelift boot lid as I plan to pick up the following parts:

Carbon fibre CSL boot lid
Carbon fibre CS splitters
Carbon fibre Hamann style foglight surrounds
Carbon fibre kidney grilles
ABS roof spoiler
Replacement drivers side wing

Once that's all been picked up, I plan to take the car into a mates bodyshop and have some major work done... All that kit will be fitted. Front and rear arches rolled. Theres a small dent in the passenger door that I'll get repaired and a bigger dent in the drivers door that also needs repairing... then the whole car will get a respray, as I'll obviously need all the new parts painted, but I also need the bonnet and roof repainted, plus the doors and arches will probably need some sort of paintwork done after their work has been completed, so it makes sense to just do the whole car in one go... plus it'll all colour match when done at once The carbon parts will all stay carbon, except the boot lid. That'll be painted except for the lip which we'll have a play with and keep some of the carbon showing through.

I also plan on taking the CSL reps off the car while it's in the bodyshop and get them into Lepsons for a refurb. They're in really good condition still but there are a few marks here and there. Biggest one is where I knocked a curb getting out the way of an ambulance the other day So they need touching up a bit... but also want to change the colour, so they'll be going a darker shadow chrome colour.

So big plans ahead... plus plenty of on call & overtime at work to pay for it all :lol:
Old 08-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #34
modjo

My Ride: 330XI
Good job done.
modjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #35
nimraynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimraynn View Post
I also plan on taking the CSL reps off the car while it's in the bodyshop and get them into Lepsons for a refurb. They're in really good condition still but there are a few marks here and there. Biggest one is where I knocked a curb getting out the way of an ambulance the other day So they need touching up a bit... but also want to change the colour, so they'll be going a darker shadow chrome colour.
Well after I lost a minor argument with a curb, this happened a lot sooner than expected

I love the colour, they're "shadow chrome" and the way they've done it means they look a different colour depending on what angle and what light you're in. Unfortunately one of the centre caps took a bid for freedom soon after I refitted them to the car so need to source a new set. Annoyingly, standard BMW caps don't quite fit these reps as the inner diameter is slightly smaller... so I need to measure them up and find the right size. I thought I knew what size they were, but really struggling to find any