E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 01:16 AM   #421
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Ok...time for some comments on things as I see them.

Before Xmas I started working on the car again. My focus was to pull off the WG pipe, down pipe, and first section of charge pipe.

Well I got the charge pipe off no problem...and found that I had missed to tighten the T-bolt clamp on the compressor outlet....so the silicone coupler had slipped down quite a bit, dropping the charge pipe quite a bit lower. So that was part of it. I also found a slightly tweaked passenger side anti-roll bar clamp...which I had missed to tighten...so one nut had come off...and the clamp was hanging quite distorted. Easy to fix, but a little alarming.

Pulling the WG pipe off the manifold found another surprise, which explained some issues before. I was getting smoke from that area on startup, and also a bit of noise. I thought it might be simply the thin-walled SS exhaust....but when I pulled off the WG pipe, I found that it wasn't seating fully against the exhaust manifold. I also had forgotten to put the gasket in....which in retrospect would have hidden the real issue. With the 3" down pipe installed, the WG pipe hits the V-band clamp and doesn't sit flush with the exhaust manifold. Something to fix when I re-do the WG mounting.

Probably the most frustrating: I couldn't pull the 3" down pipe off...because the O2 Sensor wiring is zip-tied up somewhere under the intake manifold. I installed the exhaust before the intake, and didn't think that I might need to take off the exhaust? WTF!!! Anyway, it now looks like I have to pull off the intake manifold to free up some slack to drop the down pipe.

Another issue I think I may have is that I mixed some cam caps from another cam tray, and I think there is some excessive play. I've got a bit of valve train noise at the back of the engine that I don't think is the WG leak. So...it looks like I'm going to pull VC off, and have a look at the cam caps. Luckily, I've got 3 complete spare cylinder heads to draw from, so I can replace an entire cam tray if needed. (Actually, I've got 5 other cylinder heads, but only 3 have the complete valve train installed.) And while the cam trays may be off....might as well re-torque the cylinder head studs.

Also been thinking about getting a Dr. Vanos assembly....as I"m unsure the practical condition of my VANOS assembly, and these bigger cams add more load.

So....lots to do.....or redo, depending on how you look at it.

I'm sure it will be running "right" some day.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:16 AM   #422
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Dbl post

Last edited by PEI330Ci; 01-07-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #423
MC330CI

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Glad to see you've figured it out Adam.
MC330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #424
Herrubermensch

My Ride: E39 M5
Sorry to hear of the issues, Adam, but glad you identified them! I always go back and forth in such situations: am I being overly anal and should I press forward as is or should I bite the emotional bullet, admit it's not right, and redo it. Always better to err on the side of the latter, as difficult as it and the attendant delay can be to accept.

Love the Motec screen shot. I assume you are transmitting PDM data to the Motec ECU over CAN?

--Peter
Herrubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #425
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrubermensch View Post
Sorry to hear of the issues, Adam, but glad you identified them! I always go back and forth in such situations: am I being overly anal and should I press forward as is or should I bite the emotional bullet, admit it's not right, and redo it. Always better to err on the side of the latter, as difficult as it and the attendant delay can be to accept.

Love the Motec screen shot. I assume you are transmitting PDM data to the Motec ECU over CAN?

--Peter
I always find that I go back and re-do what isn't right eventually. Either the part fails, (the most likely) or it bugs me to the point of not enjoying any other forward progress.

Still trying to figure out how to write CAN scripts in "Build". Also, been spending a lot of time lately mapping the E46 electrical systems. A project I started in 2011...
Old 01-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #426
Herrubermensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
I always find that I go back and re-do what isn't right eventually. Either the part fails, (the most likely) or it bugs me to the point of not enjoying any other forward progress.

Still trying to figure out how to write CAN scripts in "Build". Also, been spending a lot of time lately mapping the E46 electrical systems. A project I started in 2011...
Yes, knowing something is not right cuts into the enjoyment of the next project.

Haven't gotten to that point in Build yet. Still configuring my can scripts to ensure my PDMs and dash talk to one another.

Cool mapping project! I effectively have had to do that with the E39 M5.

--Peter
Old 02-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #427
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Started working on the 330i again; many updates to share over the next week.

So the LC-1 connector was sandwiched between the engine block and the starter....had to remove the intake manifold to free this up, disconnect the O2 sensor, and drop the down-pipe to start revisions on it. Not entirely a waste of time, as I needed to take the intake manifold off for other reasons which I'll share shortly.

Probably the most exciting week for this project, and this hobby, in a long time.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #428
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
Have you considered switching to an LC2? I've used LC1s in the past, and I think I'm going to try an LC2 next. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #429
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
Have you considered switching to an LC2? I've used LC1s in the past, and I think I'm going to try an LC2 next. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
No not really, why would I replace something that's working perfectly?

Admittedly, I may sell the LC1 together with the LMA3, and use the AEM wideband I have NIB. Or I may go with a Motec LTC....
Old 02-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #430
Herrubermensch

Quote:
Started working on the 330i again; many updates to share over the next week.

So the LC-1 connector was sandwiched between the engine block and the starter....had to remove the intake manifold to free this up, disconnect the O2 sensor, and drop the down-pipe to start revisions on it. Not entirely a waste of time, as I needed to take the intake manifold off for other reasons which I'll share shortly.

Probably the most exciting week for this project, and this hobby, in a long time.
Looking forward to the updates!

--Peter
Old 02-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #431
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
No not really, why would I replace something that's working perfectly?

Admittedly, I may sell the LC1 together with the LMA3, and use the AEM wideband I have NIB. Or I may go with a Motec LTC....
The main things I've heard about the LC2 is that it doesn't require free air calibration like the LC1, and it packages a little neater. I didn't know if you'd considered it and opted to stay with the LC1 for some other reason.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #432
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
The main things I've heard about the LC2 is that it doesn't require free air calibration like the LC1, and it packages a little neater. I didn't know if you'd considered it and opted to stay with the LC1 for some other reason.
Convenient for a street car, but my junk ends up being taken apart so much, it's not really an issue for me.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #433
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Transmission wiring harness arrived:

Old 02-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #434
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Ok...admittedly a bit of a teaser.

The 5HP19 automatic transmission will be controlled by a new ECU from Powertrain Control Systems. This is a stand-alone transmission controller, offering full programability of shift strategy, multiple maps, and additional I/O features.

Here's what you get with a generic harness:

My son helping to open up the loom:

The TCU-2000 ECU:

With the open loom:

I'll be covering the installation of this a little later here....
Old 02-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #435
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Well then...things are progressing nicely!

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 02-07-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #436
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Now...back to fixing my mistakes.

Remember that O2 sensor that I couldn't pull off because the wiring loom was trapped somewhere? Well here's the reason why:

The yellow utility knife is touching the LC1 connector, which is sandwiched between the block and the starter solenoid. I actually put it there too....thinking it would be a good spot because it wouldn't move. Yup! It didn't move....

So after disconnecting the O2 sensor wiring, I was able to remove the down pipe and start cutting off the old WG pipe bits:

I'm sure everyone has heard the term "overnight parts from Japan"? Well this is my version:

Another package from ATP, ordered and delivered to my door in 2 days. It doesn't seem to matter what I order from them, it's always in-stock, and arrives super fast. Highly recommended if you're building on a tight timeline.

The goodies:

New MVR flanges, 1.75" pipe, 45 degree 2.5" pipe, and a 6psi WG spring for the MVR. (Was thinking of springing the WG for 10 PSI base pressure...)

Fabricating a new 2.5" charge pipe:

Every angle is calculated or measured; this one is a 22 degree cut IIRC. I've made angle changes as small as 2 degrees to make things fit perfect.

The new waste gate routing:

I often get questions why the exhaust routing is such a problem on my car. The answer is that the oil pan on the 5HP19 transmission is HUGE:

New 2.5" charge pipe, and 4" (Ovalized) air intake:

The charge pipe is sitting lower than designed in the image above, because the clamps aren't on the couplers to hold it up. There are also still some sensor bungs and such to fabricate and well on.

Revised pipe work sits a LOT higher than before:

Look what just arrived:

Old 02-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #437
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
M150...you're going to be having fun now eh?!?

Love the new charge pipe...but no screamer pipe though? I guess street car

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 02-07-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #438
jbfrancis3
Formerly Snox400

My Ride: 1999 323i
Very nice!

Did someone learn to TIG?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #439
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Adam, that's some awesome progress. Little one looks great mashaAllah.
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #440
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
M150...you're going to be having fun now eh?!?

Love the new charge pipe...but no screamer pipe though? I guess street car
Thanks!

The M150 is "loaded".

Surprised nobody has asked about the funny bend in it...but all will be clear shortly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
Very nice!

Did someone learn to TIG?
I only know how to MIG; all the TIG work is done by a professional welder named Kevin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
Adam, that's some awesome progress. Little one looks great mashaAllah.
Thanks Ejaz!

He's going to be a big help in the future I'm sure....he loves this stuff!!!!