E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
hlockwood

My Ride: 2001 325iT
Need advice desperately

This is my first really, really dumb act of the new year.
I've been monitoring my oil consumption regularly and adding oil as needed in my 2001 E46 wagon.

Today, Sunday morning, I lifted the hood and discovered that my oil filler cap was missing. I evidently failed to put it back on after the oil check yesterday.

The BMW dealer is ~20 miles away. Can I safely drive there tomorrow to get a new cap? Or what?

I need your advice badly.

Harry
hlockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Is this your only means of transportation? This is going to set a CEL in all probability, since this is going to be seen as a major vacuum leak.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
Go look in the engine splash shield under the engine. It is probably there.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
hlockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
Is this your only means of transportation? This is going to set a CEL in all probability, since this is going to be seen as a major vacuum leak.
No other means of transportation at this time. Does this mean I should I should have the car towed to BMW?

Harry
Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
hlockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
Go look in the engine splash shield under the engine. It is probably there.
That was my first thought as well, but I don't see it there. Is that shield likely to retain the cap if it rolls back, or is it open at the rear?

Harry
Old 01-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Seeing as you have to add oil periodically it sounds like you have an oil leak, not just "oil consumption." Anyway, don't have the car towed to BMW, you just need to buy a new cap if it cannot be found anywhere in the engine bay. See if you can borrow a friends, or order one online overnight and use public transportation until you get it?

And just so you know, you can drive without the oil cap on (tight anyway)....ask me how I know. I got an oil change done on my last e46, then immediately drove from the shop to palm springs which was about 100 miles away from me and got a low oil light right before I arrived. Popped the hood and found the cap was just sitting there, loose, and oil all over the engine bay. Since then, I started doing all of my own oil changes lol. I wouldn't recommend driving without the cap

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS Sway bars, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TSX Projector retrofit, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills

Last edited by bimmernate; 01-12-2014 at 10:44 AM.
bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlockwood View Post
No other means of transportation at this time. Does this mean I should I should have the car towed to BMW?

Harry
How about taking the bus (or a cab) to the BMW dealership and buying a cap, instead of hauling your car there?

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Come to think of it oil caps aren't rare, even for a BMW. They've been using that same cap since the E30 (1980s)

The local Napa or whatever car parts store will probably have it. Just call ahead.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
hlockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
How about taking the bus (or a cab) to the BMW dealership and buying a cap, instead of hauling your car there?
A definite alternative. Thanks.

And thanks to all for coming to the rescue; you're a great bunch.

Harry
Old 01-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
The car will be fine. Sure, your check engine light will turn on but who cares, it will go away when you put a new cap on. You've obviously been driving it already with no cap and nothing happened.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #11
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
That was my first thought as well, but I don't see it there. Is that shield likely to retain the cap if it rolls back, or is it open at the rear?

Harry
Drive the car up on a curb, remove splash shield and look. It very well could be there...or it dropped off to the side and it's wedged where you didn't look yet...could be stuck behind under cabin air filter housing too. Look up top and around first with good led flashlight and an inspection mirror. I suspect it 'is' in your car still.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
hlockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
Come to think of it oil caps aren't rare, even for a BMW. They've been using that same cap since the E30 (1980s)

The local Napa or whatever car parts store will probably have it. Just call ahead.
First thing tomorrow (Monday) morning.

Harry
Old 01-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Your oil cap is probably stuck on the splash shield on the bottom of the car.

It will not be a fatal event to drive the car, but it will likely be a messy event that you would rather avoid. Having said that, if you put in oil a day or two ago and drove the car, then checked the oil again today and discovered the cap is missing, then you drove it for two days already without it... how far did you go since you last checked the oil? The answer to this will tell you what the problems will be if you drive 20 miles to the dealership for a new cap.

How come you are adding oil all of the time? If the yellow oil light comes on, it means to check the oil, it does not mean to add oil. If the oil is ANYWHERE between the upper and lower marks on the stick, then it is okay and you do not need to add. AND if the light is on with the oil anywhere between the lines on the stick, then the Low Oil Sending Unit is toast and your choices are to replace it on an oil change or to ignore it. If you are not adding a full quart (or liter, depending on your market) then you are wasting your time doing stuff that is totally unnecessary.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #14
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
No oil will come out of the open hole unless someone removed the guard inside the valve cover.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #15
hlockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Drive the car up on a curb, remove splash shield and look. It very well could be there...or it dropped off to the side and it's wedged where you didn't look yet...could be stuck behind under cabin air filter housing too. Look up top and around first with good led flashlight and an inspection mirror. I suspect it 'is' in your car still.
You called it! It's under the cabin air filter.

Now I just have to get to it with some kind of makeshift tool because my hands are to big to retrieve it. Maybe a neighbor will rent me a kid with small hands. Forget I said that.

Thanks again, all.

Harry
Old 01-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #16
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
You called it! It's under the cabin air filter.

Now I just have to get to it with some kind of makeshift tool because my hands are to big to retrieve it. Maybe a neighbor will rent me a kid with small hands. Forget I said that.

Thanks again, all.

Harry
Just hang on the street with candy and a cute little puppy...you can con a kid into your garage and take care of business!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #17
rwall

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Cabin air filter and holder are easy to remove with basic tools. No need to rent a kid.
rwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #18
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwall View Post
Cabin air filter and holder are easy to remove with basic tools. No need to rent a kid.
Either torx 25 or 30.
OP, just use a spoon or something and knock it onto the ground.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #19
hlockwood

Grand Finale: The all-American tool, the wire coat hanger, did the trick.

Harry
Old 01-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #20
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Glad it worked out.