E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
AgentJBOND

My Ride: '01 M3
Smile My 2001 M3 Convertible

Signed the paperwork on June 25, 2013; then took these pictures late in the day after I picked the car up in Dallas; July 3, 2013.

I'm going to reply to this thread as I do mods and maintenance to help me track it all, and in case it gives anyone else some ideas. I'll be putting up a number of 'catch up' posts in the next few days, since I've had the car for a few weeks already.

I'm also glad to hear suggestions or warnings specifically related to the things I post, as I appreciate the collective knowledge available on this board.

AgentJBOND is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
AgentJBOND

I had my PPI done at Clownshoe Motorsports in Dallas. They stayed late to look the car over for me, since the dealer took a long time to get it to them. I really appreciated that, but when I test drove it, I immediately realized that they had overlooked the broken rear-view mirror. I went through with purchase, on the dealer's word that would split the wholesale cost of a replacement mirror with me after-the-fact... but knowing that would probably never come to fruition (new ones are $500 retail).

First weekend of ownership, and the wife and I had a great time driving our M cars to the local Coffee and Cars meet...

(Pay no attention to the dirty wheel well in that last picture.)

Once I got it settled in at home, I quickly went about ordering an M3 keychain, M3 floor mats, BMW oil travel case, replacement illuminated shift knob, replacement M3 trunk badge, and a couple of small trim pieces.

I also discovered this thread which pointed me in the right direction to get the mirror fixed for just ~$100.

Last edited by AgentJBOND; 08-06-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
AgentJBOND

Looking for ways to spend quality time with the car and make it mine, I decided to remove the airbag warning labels from the sun visor. I used the method in this post from this thread with great success. It went so well, in fact, that my visor didn't crinkle, I did not have to use any vinyl conditioner or leave it out in the sun. Success! Now I smirk smugly anytime I notice someone else's ugly sun visor airbag warnings.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
AgentJBOND

Having heard people on the forum rave about the benefits of a wind deflector for their convertibles, I set off to find a good deal. Forum user bmwlifer hooked me up and I can now report first-hand that the benefits are real!

Next, I decided to tackle some electronics. I searched for a couple of days to find the best mount for my phone, when I came across the Mountek nGroove. A short search of the forum later, and I found this thread - I ordered it right away. After a day or so of experimenting with, I got it positioned just right and really tightened it down. It is working out great so far.

Last edited by AgentJBOND; 08-06-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
AgentJBOND

On my day off (July 26) a semi bumped into me at a stop light! The truck driver was such a smooth talker, he managed to spin a tale convincing enough that I got the ticket! Oh well, hopefully I can do a better job telling my side of the story to the judge. And as for the damage, that's what insurance is for... I put a vinyl Band-Aid on it to tide me over until it can go in for repairs (shops are backed up for weeks or even months dealing with damage caused by recent storms).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	520553  
Attached Images

Last edited by AgentJBOND; 08-06-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
AgentJBOND

Then I struggled with what audio interface and Bluetooth interface setup I should choose to connect my phone for music and hands-free phone operation. I read terrible reviews of the Mediabridge unit, and it had corporate changed ownership three times in as many years. As much as I appreciate a unified approach, I decided to go with the USA Spec PA12-BMW for music, and Parrot CK3000 (Evolution) with Connects2 CTPPAR007 steering wheel control interface harness... all thanks to forum member delmarco and his DIYs (USA Spec DIY and Parrot DIY).

I had a little bit of trouble with the USA Spec install, but got it worked out with some help from taylor192 and dknightd.

I really enjoy the charging benefit of the USA Spec solution, plus the sound quality peace of mind that comes with using a wired solution. It also has an Aux input that I will probably use someday to either rig up a bluetooth interface or connect to a headphone cable - either way would be so that a passenger could connect their phone to DJ a road trip.

The Parrot/Connects2 install was a breeze. Unfortunately, voice recognition does not work properly when the USA Spec is connected. As of this writing, it is an open issue (posts 1218 and 1219 on the Parrot DIY thread).

Last edited by AgentJBOND; 08-06-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
AgentJBOND

The good folks at GW and Son Auto Body got the rear end looking good-as-new in early November. They are a BMW certified shop, so only new OE parts were used, and they really did a great job!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
AgentJBOND

So, it turns out that the PPI missed more than just a broken rear-view mirror. The car felt uneasy when shifting under heavy acceleration or going over a bump at highway speeds (especially in turns). I took it in for an alignment at the local dealership, and they discovered the passenger strut and strunt mount needed to be replaced. I let them replace it, align it, and got it back within a few days.

Not only did the alignment not hold (it was out of spec again before I got home), but they broke the headlight level sensor!

When I took it back to get re-aligned, they advised it would not hold an alignment due to failed Rear Trailing Arm Bushings (something the PPI should have easily discovered). They wanted $600+ to replace them, and I declined. I demanded a new headlight level sensor at no charge, and had an indy across the street install it for me.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
AgentJBOND

Both indy's I know would not offer a fair price to replace the RTABs. Lucky for me, my new friend Geoff offered to help me replace them in his garage. Our first attempt failed, but it prompted me to go all-in with a suspension refresh. I ordered the following parts and we've been working diligently to install them in my garage:
PowerFlex RTABs
PowerFlex FCABs
PowerFlex front and rear sway bar bushings
Lemfoerder front and rear sway bar endlinks
Lemfoerder upper and lower rear control arm ball joints
Sachs-Boge rear shock absorbers (and appropriate accompanying hardware)
Meyle HD rear shock absorber mounts
Sachs-Boge left strut (and appropriate accompanying hardware)
BWM left strut mount
Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
AgentJBOND

What a merry Christmas it was! Car-related gifts I received:
M cap, umbrella and holder, jack pads, trunk struts, first aid box, Puma Motorsport sweatshirt, travel mug, funny mirror stickers, and jack stands.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mcap.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	540920   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_umbrella_holder_1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	540921   Click image for larger version

Name:	thCA53JSYI.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	540922   Click image for larger version

Name:	867368411.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	540923  

Name:	firstaid.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	540924   Click image for larger version

Name:	puma.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	540925   Click image for larger version

Name:	mug.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	540926   Click image for larger version

Name:	thCAOXQ9IM.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	540927  

Name:	jackstands.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	540928  
Old 01-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #11
AgentJBOND

Then, to round things out, I bought myself a new low-profile jack, 1/2" torque wrench, and 3/8" torque wrench:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jack.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	540931   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	540932   Click image for larger version

Name:	38s.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	540933  
Old 01-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #12
AgentJBOND

Just finished the suspension refresh with the parts listed above, along with the new jack pads and trunk struts!

Last edited by AgentJBOND; 01-21-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #13
AgentJBOND

Replaced Parrot/Connects2/Spec USA interface with Bavsound Simplicity 3 a couple of weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sp-c3-icon.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	543478  

Last edited by AgentJBOND; 01-21-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
AgentJBOND

I updated this thread with a full write-up on how I installed the OEM umbrella holder with metal mounting hardware, which I did after the plastic carpet screws snapped the first time I tried to remove the umbrella!

Last edited by AgentJBOND; 01-21-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #15
AgentJBOND

Installed OEM strut brace.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #16
AgentJBOND

Had to modify the underseat compartment to fit the convertible seat (since the proper part has been discontinued for 8 years, this was really my best option). It worked an it is installed... but I'm not using it to store anything yet!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #17
Ned's Bimmer

My Ride: 2004 M3
Congrats on the M3! I just picked up a m3 convertible as well, great car!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #18
BimmerBoy111

My Ride: is making me broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentJBOND View Post
I updated this thread with a full write-up on how I installed the OEM umbrella holder with metal mounting hardware, which I did after the plastic carpet screws snapped the first time I tried to remove the umbrella!

hmm, never seen this oem umbrella thing. nice! congrats on your vert! It's good to see how much you're enjoying her..
BimmerBoy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #19
chubakakid

My Ride: Hopeful ///M owner
Congrats on your suspension refresh & Xmas goodies. Treat her well and she'll only return the favor!
chubakakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #20
AgentJBOND

A few weeks ago I installed a First Alert fire extinguisher under the passenger's seat, and I got a BMW first aid kit for the trunk.

This past weekend, I replaced the fuel filter, the spark plugs, the cabin air filter, as well as the oil and oil filter. I had to repair the oil drain pan tap with Helicoil, as the mechanic who changed the oil last time chose to crossthread the drain bolt.

I've also put the umbrella to good use for the first time, today!