E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 02:46 AM   #1
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
IWI Tavor on the way.....hopefully in next week.

I have the Manticore front end for it, this is the 16" barrel version in black. Will be running optics on it. Range report later on. Picture posted is the 18" barrel.

I will be running a FACOG and TRS 25 on it for testing. 223 and 556. Several mags. BUS will be MAGPUL. Looking at shooting it with the second trigger group spring installed first before I remove it and shoot it without it for the heavy trigger reports.

tailo, any personal experience with the spring out in the trigger group on this rifle?
Old 01-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
The Manticore front end makes it look a lot better. I'm having a hard time ignoring this rifle. Lots of good press about it.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Quote:
tailo, any personal experience with the spring out in the trigger group on this rifle?
Had a tavor at the shop a few months back, it slaps your face a bit when firing, its heavy in the rear, and the bolt release is in a odd location.. I personally prefer the AUG or even a M4 over the Tavor but I really aint a big bull pup fan.

That said, I have a good friend with a 18 inch version that loves it, silly little (hes actually pretty big) jewish guy carries that thing around everywhere. We actually had a conversation about removing the secondary spring...according to him, and I do trust his advice on this... it does reduce the trigger pull but they added that spring for reliability. If your rifle gets dirty (it probably never will) the trigger will fail to reset.

Probably wont ever crawl through a muddy ditch but treat every rifle like your going to have to fight to get home with it.

All in all it's a pretty good rifle, just not my cup of tea.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
carcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
Had a tavor at the shop a few months back, it slaps your face a bit when firing, its heavy in the rear, and the bolt release is in a odd location.. I personally prefer the AUG or even a M4 over the Tavor but I really aint a big bull pup fan.

That said, I have a good friend with a 18 inch version that loves it, silly little (hes actually pretty big) jewish guy carries that thing around everywhere. We actually had a conversation about removing the secondary spring...according to him, and I do trust his advice on this... it does reduce the trigger pull but they added that spring for reliability. If your rifle gets dirty (it probably never will) the trigger will fail to reset.

Probably wont ever crawl through a muddy ditch but treat every rifle like your going to have to fight to get home with it.

All in all it's a pretty good rifle, just not my cup of tea.
Makes sense, last BP rifle was a kit I did from a Mini 14. Trigger was horrible with the BP kit. I am hoping this one is much better as it was designed to be a BP config. Will try it first with the spring in it. I know it is to keep grit and sand out and still work in those conditions. I do have my M&P Sport with no cover as I am no longer in the military and in sand box conditions.

These guns are just for range use in Colorado and personal defense if needed. Personally, I just keep a Glock 27 on the night stand for normal carry and home defense.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
carcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
The Manticore front end makes it look a lot better. I'm having a hard time ignoring this rifle. Lots of good press about it.
I have the Manticore kit at the house right now....well made but the price for what is it...expensive. I will be adding a forward grip to make up for the light weight of the BP design.

Will let you guys know how it works out.

.223 ammo in this gun....does it run well with just cheap indoor range ammo? Something non steel core like Wolf or Tula has.

Some reports say it is not running well with 223, needs 556. Yes, I know the difference between them but that is what I have been told. Guess I might find that out for myself. I have some PMC 223 to try and American 556.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:42 AM   #6
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
There is such a wide variance in performance within the .223Rem and 5.56 realm that it's not a simple answer. There are .223 loads that are hotter and more consistent than some 5.56 loads. Ammunition like PMC X-Tac 5.56 and Winchester Q3131A 5.56 are both rather inconsistent in performance and you could have a 200-400fps variance in performance between lots. In contrast, you can get Black Hills .223 that is hotter and much more consistent than those loads.

If I were you, I'd just buy a crapload of diffent types of ammo from Tula/Wolf steel case to Remington UMC and PMC Bronze to XM193 and Black Hills. Run the gamut and see what all cycles.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
carcus

Rifle is in, so far I love it. Have various rounds of 223/556 brands to test. I added the manticore front grip. The bipod is only on to set the red dot to 25 yards and then will be removed. Sight is just a cheap but reliable TRS 25. Will report back Saturday after range time.

I love how easy this breaks down. Been playing with Gen 3 Magpul mags and they drop free perfect, Forward rail grip will stay.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
I do kinda like those things, i just can't get around paying so much for it. I mean, you can get a factory DD MK18 for that price, including the stamp. Some Noveske SBRs too. I think I'd rather go that route, but I do really like these bullpups in many ways.

Gun Gallery posted a pic of a customer's tavor. He wanted to mount an SPR/M4 suppressor to it and it fit.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #9
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Carcus, you mind if I ask how much the Tavor set you back?

Gorgeous gun! I've had the hankering for one ever since I learned about them.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
carcus

$1705 shipped, Manticore front was around $225. Forward grip works great with the light pressure switch. You need to use a medium sized CREE light with the Manticore or you will have barrel issues. I really like this gun. For what it is though, pretty heavy gun. I am also fine with the built in BUS, they are not that bad and co-witness with the TRS-25.

Tomorrow is range day. Leaving the front bipod on just to sight the rifle in, then goes back on another gun. Lubed up with MilPro and ready to go. Several different brands of ammo and mix of 223/556
Old 01-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
carcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
I do kinda like those things, i just can't get around paying so much for it. I mean, you can get a factory DD MK18 for that price, including the stamp. Some Noveske SBRs too. I think I'd rather go that route, but I do really like these bullpups in many ways.

Gun Gallery posted a pic of a customer's tavor. He wanted to mount an SPR/M4 suppressor to it and it fit.

Thank you so much for that picture!!!! Really appreciate that.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
carcus

Also, I own quite a bit of guns, AR, AK rifles and different calibers. I am mainly a handgun guy but just get what I like. After 20 years of the military with the AR.....I still like it and the AR-10. This time I wanted a bullpup designed to be one. Last one I had was a Mini 14 kit that was a POS.

As with guns, cars, watches.....I kinda like all of them. The battle field testing of this rifle by IDF speaks for itself. It is designed for clearing a house or building. I think sighted in at 25 yards with the red dot.....I am good to go. Love it or hate it, I see it as great technology gun wise.

Than again, I own a Chiappa White Rhino 357 revolver also. Personally I hate wheel guns but this one changed my mind.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #13
carcus

Range update:

What an awesome weapon. So much fun to shoot. Trigger is a little heavy but doubt I remove the trigger spring. Out of 200 rounds, mixed brands of 223 and 556, all fired perfect with no malfunctions. Getting used to reloading takes a little while but other than that, very fun and reliable weapon. Much heavier than my AR-15. Red dot scope took under a minute to sight in at 25 yards. Once sighted in, removed the bipod and just had so much fun. I have nothing negative to say besides the weight....but that was expected. I guarantee if you shoot one....you will end up buying one. Shooters at the range had no idea what it was and lots of questions. I am never getting rid of this sucker, it is a keeper.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #14
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Glad you had a great time with it. It's funny you mention the trigger because Geissele just announced a new SSA style trigger for the Tavor. It's on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/geisseleautomatics

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:02 AM   #15
carcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Glad you had a great time with it. It's funny you mention the trigger because Geissele just announced a new SSA style trigger for the Tavor. It's on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/geisseleautomatics
I MUST HAVE IT!!! LOL, wonder how much that is going to run? Thanks for the heads up on that. Still with the stock trigger.....I am happy as heck for now. This is one hell of a bad arse gun.