E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
s4one

My Ride: e46
What first?

I'm turning my e46 m3 into a track car. With the three below which one should I do first or in what order?

-Recaro Seats (left and right)
-Weld in roll cage (I have the pre fab cage already)
-Engine work (vanos rebuild, valve adjustment...)

The engine runs strong 150k but the common issues with the vanos will always be there. The smart choice would be engine work right? But the other two are tempting..

Thanks
s4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
taveet330i

My Ride: Jet Black 2002 330i
Mechanical work in our cars> everything else. You don't want to run the risk of engine failure

[bimmerapp]

Old 01-08-2014, 01:01 AM   #3
s4one

True, yet the car is a dedicated track car and the safety of the roll cage can go along way.. It's not a DD so if the engine fails, it wont be on my way to work or running errands.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:10 AM   #4
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Start with safety. You need the cage and the seats and BTW Recaros that are worth putting in are more than the car is worth..
Do not use tube frame seats from any vendor, the tubes can break on impact and impale the driver.

Every 10 MPH you increase speed, the worse the impact. 6 point cage is min, given the speed a M3 will make... at least a door bar and a petty bar is important for hard core track days. Full 5/6 point harness. And 3m ballistic film on all the windows so if you get smacked the glass doesn't get you.

Less weight = more speed. strip it to the windows you can shed several hundred lbs if you work at it and gain some serious speed.

Or save yourself a crapload of money, its always cheaper to buy a race car than build one. There are a lot of really fast cars for less than it will cost to build your own. I've made a lot of money proving this to people.. Building their race cars.

use the SCCA rule book to decide what mods youll make, if you decide to sell it a racer is your best market.

Good Luck.

Last edited by dwtaylorpdx; 01-08-2014 at 01:11 AM.
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #5
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Subframe
Old 01-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
s4one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx View Post
Start with safety. You need the cage and the seats and BTW Recaros that are worth putting in are more than the car is worth..
Do not use tube frame seats from any vendor, the tubes can break on impact and impale the driver.

Every 10 MPH you increase speed, the worse the impact. 6 point cage is min, given the speed a M3 will make... at least a door bar and a petty bar is important for hard core track days. Full 5/6 point harness. And 3m ballistic film on all the windows so if you get smacked the glass doesn't get you.

Less weight = more speed. strip it to the windows you can shed several hundred lbs if you work at it and gain some serious speed.

Or save yourself a crapload of money, its always cheaper to buy a race car than build one. There are a lot of really fast cars for less than it will cost to build your own. I've made a lot of money proving this to people.. Building their race cars.

use the SCCA rule book to decide what mods youll make, if you decide to sell it a racer is your best market.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the tips. What is a tube frame seat, stock? I do plan to get some Recaros or OMP.

I know what you mean by purchasing a track car in stead of turning on into a track car but that takes the fun out of it.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
s4one

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Subframe
Has been fixed with reinforcements, that was one of the first things I did to the car.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Safety enhancement always come first. Always.

How many track days do you have? What is the car not doing on track?

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
s4one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Safety enhancement always come first. Always.

How many track days do you have? What is the car not doing on track?
Okay great, I will go safety first.

"What is the car not doing on track?" not too sure what that means..
Old 01-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
coil overs first

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #11
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
Suspension, brakes, wheels, and rubber. All that needs to be completely and unquestionably overbuilt before bothering to touch the motor. I personally just pull the whole suspension off, and replace anything with signs of wear, all bushings, etc.

Brakes, for serious track use a BBK is highly beneficial. StopTech, ST Trophy, AP, and PFC are all excellent options that have great returns for the price. I have never found Brembo kits to be worth the name premium.

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #12
SM_ATL

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
Cheaper to buy a track car than building one, but you would miss a lot of the fun.
Here's my own ranking (in fact the path I have in mind for my car):

Step 1:
-4 points Schroth working with Hans (temporary)
-suspension: coilovers, swaybars, bushings
-stainless steel brake lines + track pads

Track the car, check if it is a good fit for you and if you feel some things are critical/urgent to be fixed

Step2:
-rollbar/rollcage+5/6 point harnesses (welded in if you never intend to use it as a street car again, otherwise, bolt in). Good comfortable bucket seat for you, you may go a bit cheaper for the passenger
-floating rotors
-track wheel set w/R-compound tires

Step 3:
-upgrade cooling system (could be instep 2 already).
- (when you know the car is never going to see the street again): gutt the car completely. A friend of mine did it to the point that the slightest cable, bolt, clip that is not essential has been removed. The car got REALLY quicker... Best thing is:$0 investment!!!
-cheap low weight low backpressure exhaust line, no cats etc. do not care about the looks, the tips, the sound etc.

Step4:
- more sophisticated/adjustable suspension parts (when you have reached the point where you can actually feel the difference and adjust the parameters yourself).

Only then would I start with 'performance mods' and there is not a whole lot to gain in my opinion. I would never go to forced induction, especially for a track car. I have seen cars like I described leaving Porsches in the dust without any engine tweak.

I do not have racing in mind, only track days. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by SM_ATL; 01-10-2014 at 12:18 PM.
SM_ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #13
s4one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM_ATL View Post
Cheaper to buy a track car than building one, but you would miss a lot of the fun.
Here's my own ranking (in fact the path I have in mind for my car):

Step 1:
-4 points Schroth working with Hans (temporary)
-suspension: coilovers, swaybars, bushings
-stainless steel brake lines + track pads

Track the car, check if it is a good fit for you and if you feel some things are critical/urgent to be fixed

Step2:
-rollbar/rollcage+5/6 point harnesses (welded in if you never intend to use it as a street car again, otherwise, bolt in). Good comfortable bucket seat for you, you may go a bit cheaper for the passenger
-floating rotors
-track wheel set w/R-compound tires

Step 3:
-upgrade cooling system (could be instep 2 already).
- (when you know the car is never going to see the street again): gutt the car completely. A friend of mine did it to the point that the slightest cable, bolt, clip that is not essential has been removed. The car got REALLY quicker... Best thing is:$0 investment!!!
-cheap low weight low backpressure exhaust line, no cats etc. do not care about the looks, the tips, the sound etc.

Step4:
- more sophisticated/adjustable suspension parts (when you have reached the point where you can actually feel the difference and adjust the parameters yourself).

Only then would I start with 'performance mods' and there is not a whole lot to gain in my opinion. I would never go to forced induction, especially for a track car. I have seen cars like I described leaving Porsches in the dust without any engine tweak.

I do not have racing in mind, only track days. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the info, i've actually done a lot of those already or have the parts sitting at home waiting to get installed. Originally, the engine work isnt performance mods its more support as in reworking the VANSO, valve adjustments and other things while the mechanic is already in there.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4one View Post
Has been fixed with reinforcements, that was one of the first things I did to the car.
Have you taken off the VANOS to inspect the exhaust hub and intake/exhaust cam sprocket bolts?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
s4one

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Have you taken off the VANOS to inspect the exhaust hub and intake/exhaust cam sprocket bolts?
I have not, that will be included in the "engine work".
Old 01-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #16
kardboard

My Ride: M3 E46, N54 135i
I know everyone is saying safety first, and I agree. But you need to first find out what class you want to be racing in, and what mods are allowed in that class if you want to be competitive. It would suck to be placed in an unlimited class when all you have is a rollcage. (not usually the case BTW, but different Mods put you in different classes.) If you are doing autocross events check the SCCA rules. If you are racing at a local track check what rules apply for their superlaps. (the one I would race in was determined by lbs/hp)
kardboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #17
Hockeyguy02

My Ride: E46 m3
Here's my list for you

Step one- buy Xbox
Step two- buy forza

Done. Saved you much mun e

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

CarbonBlackCinnamon
30% Tint/Black Grilles And Gills/CF Wrapped Trim/MeganRacingExhaust/DepoSmokedCorners
Hockeyguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote