E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 12:48 AM   #401
MurcielagoE46

My Ride: E46 325Ci
I did take the cover off and didnt see any wires that were messed up or that the ground for them were bad. I notice that when the missfire happens the side where the injectors are gets noisier. IIRC the coils were replaced sometime before I got it.
MurcielagoE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #402
MurcielagoE46

Ok switched coil on cylinder 3 to cylinder 1 now get code 2742, so it must be the coil. Kinda feel like just ordering the coil and call in it a day instead of driving to the nearest bmw dealer and deal with them.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #403
MurcielagoE46

yep replaced coil and all its good.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #404
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
Nice job on a quick diagnosis. In all actuality these cars are extremely easy to work on if you know what you are doing. Anyways, let's see some pics of the new ride!
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #405
gselsidi

My Ride: 2005 325i M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaLe39 View Post
@bob - Honestly there isn't much gain for the electric fan swap but to me less mechanical load and potential for catastrophic failure is worth the price. Lets not forget, when it comes to replacing your fan clutch.....they aren't necessarily cheap.

@eneka - Looking good. I must say I'm a little jealous of that BMW performance intake.

@briangl92 - I've got three of the 4 items you mentioned covered. As for the thermostat, I'll be doing a cooling system overhaul soon so maybe I'll see some gains there in case its sticking.
Guys please check the BMW parts list as the M56 warranty covers so many parts, thermostat is included in the warranty parts list. To bad i replaced mine myself.
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #406
gselsidi

Guys about MPG i was just wondering this also, but it seems you have changed a bunch of parts and still average the same as me which is about 22-24mpg depending on how much highway you drive. It seems the EPA numbers are completely off for our cars of 25city and 30ish highway with normal driving conditions.

I have gotten 32mpg at 75mph, but that was driving down south so the car was all highway for about 6 hours. At 55MPH I would have probably gotten over 40mpg+, just didn't feel like driving that slow. It seems these cars love long trips to get decent mileage, anything else doesn't matter if you are on the highway or not if the trips are short I guess we have to settle with 25mpg.

Even if I have constant 30 mile trips one way, the highest I get is still around 25MPG avg. And seeing you guys post those numbers reaffirms that these are normal numbers for our cars, so I wouldn't go to crazy replacing parts.

Last edited by gselsidi; 01-21-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #407
gselsidi

Also if any of you guys have any issues with the dealers being complete jerks, send a letter to BMWs legal department the address is listed on this thread a few pages back. Maybe Brian can update it in the OP. Anyway long story short, I got an immediate response (literally 3 days later after i sent the letter) from a very very nice lady that is going to look into my problem. Calling BMW NA is completely useless all they do is tell you to talk to the dealer, then the dealer tells you to talk to NA, but BMW Legal actually tries to help, at least so far. I did mention legal recourse in the letter, anyway I'll keep you updated on the outcome.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #408
gselsidi

Now quick question does anybody know if the coolant level sensor is in the radiator itself, or the coolant tank (is it that little long thermometer thing that sticks up in the coolant tank?) I keep getting my low coolant light come on and off, even though the level is filled properly. Wan't to know if it's covered under warranty or not.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #409
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
Now quick question does anybody know if the coolant level sensor is in the radiator itself, or the coolant tank (is it that little long thermometer thing that sticks up in the coolant tank?) I keep getting my low coolant light come on and off, even though the level is filled properly. Wan't to know if it's covered under warranty or not.

Thanks
The level sensor is in the expansion tank. Not sure if the float has anything to do with it or not.

Sent from my iPhone
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #410
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
Also if any of you guys have any issues with the dealers being complete jerks, send a letter to BMWs legal department the address is listed on this thread a few pages back. Maybe Brian can update it in the OP. Anyway long story short, I got an immediate response (literally 3 days later after i sent the letter) from a very very nice lady that is going to look into my problem. Calling BMW NA is completely useless all they do is tell you to talk to the dealer, then the dealer tells you to talk to NA, but BMW Legal actually tries to help, at least so far. I did mention legal recourse in the letter, anyway I'll keep you updated on the outcome.
Unfortunately the original posts can't be updated because of their age

Sent from my iPhone
Old 01-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #411
gselsidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Unfortunately the original posts can't be updated because of their age

Sent from my iPhone
We should maybe lock this thread and start a new one, and link this in the new thread, cause there is some good info here that is lost in all these pages.

Just going to let that sensor act screwy lol.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #412
E46_NYC

My Ride: 03' 325i
Just wanted to share an experience I went thru with my M56 2003 325i with 86k
Hopefully this can answer some questions about your M56/Sulev.

My CEL light went on and went to AutoZone where they read codes P0171 and P0174, both banks were lean, however there were no misfires. I searched the forum and came across this thread, did some reading and took my E46 right to the BMW Dealer. (Don't even bother calling BMW NA unless you work for BMW because they won't care or know what you are talking about lol, waste of time.)

I went to BMW of Bayside and after telling the dealer to run a diagnostic, $145 whatever, they determined that they had to do a smoke test. After an hour, the rep came to me and told me that the cause was due to a leak in the vanos line and it needed to be replaced. She gave me an outrageous price of $690.00 and 3.5 hours of labor.

Here's where the fun began, I told her that it was possible that it would be covered under the Sulev 15yr/150,000 warranty. She told me right away that it is not possible and the warranty is 8yrs/80,000 miles. (By the way she was very friendly and courteous). I asked her to double check so she went to ask the mechanic working on the car. She came back and said its 10yr/100,000 and since my car was purchased in April 2003, I was out of luck .

I then pulled out my last resort, which was the PDF files that I printed from the first page of this thread that stated the Sulev Warranty and parts that are covered. She told me she would call BMW NA herself and find out. Half hour later she returns and gives me the news I have been expecting since I arrived. It was covered

It was well worth the 6 hours I was there and to have my E46 Sulev come out running great again, no more CEL. I left the dealership with out paying a penny, didn't have to pay for diagnostic nor the work that they completed. And got a free car wash. The diagnostic left me a list of of other items that my car would need, and I wasn't gonna pay them to do it so I'll take care of them myself. BMW of Bayside was very courteous and professional. Thanks for reading and hope this helps fellow M56 owners. Thank you OP for those PDF files.

Here's a pic of the diagnostic I was given:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1390792290.022805.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	544224

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
E46_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #413
gselsidi

The legal department is just as useless they called the dealer, dealer told them the reason and they said there is nothing we can do. These morons wouldn't even provide an area manager to look at it, because the dealer "spoke" to them.

Sent an email to the ceo and vp today see what hsppens before I sue them and call every news channel about these scumbags.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #414
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
I'm past my warranty, just under 152K, so unfortunately my warranty claims are no more. Thankfully I was able to get some of the big ticket items fixed thanks to Crevier BMW.

I'm actually surprised they did the vanos line under warranty as I don't think I've seen that as being covered. Either way nice job on sticking it out and showing them the pdf.
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #415
SeattleBMW

I'm thinking of buying an Extended Warranty, what would you recommend?

Just bought a fully loaded 2011 328xi right before my Seahawks won the Super Bowl! It has 29,000 miles. Only about 10 months left on the original warranty.

The Toyota dealership I got a killer deal from wants to sell me a 10 year 100,000 for $1,900...my BMW friend told me to come here to see if there's a better deal.

SeattleBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #416
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBMW View Post
I'm thinking of buying an Extended Warranty, what would you recommend?

Just bought a fully loaded 2011 328xi right before my Seahawks won the Super Bowl! It has 29,000 miles. Only about 10 months left on the original warranty.

The Toyota dealership I got a killer deal from wants to sell me a 10 year 100,000 for $1,900...my BMW friend told me to come here to see if there's a better deal.

Nice story about the Seahawks and all (I'm still bitter over my 9ers haha), but you're in the wrong forum and wrong thread lol You're looking for the e90fanatics.com

This thread is for a special emissions equipped version of the e46 chassis. You've got an e90 chassis with a different engine, suspension, etc. so we won't be of much help, but in general, BMWs eat through parts. I haven't driven the e90s for long enough to tell you more than that. Good luck and congrats on the purchase!

Last edited by briangl92; 02-09-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #417
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Just made my appointment with Crevier for this friday. Going to see if they'll fix my SES with codes for the secondary air not being diverted and my problem filling up too. My vanos line is seeping oil as well so hopefully they'll cover that too.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:57 PM   #418
eneka

So a week later I get my car back!

They diagnosed and fixed my secondary air system...the pump was already replaced two years ago at another dealer but the SES light still came on that previous dealer was quite hard to deal with and wanted to charge me $300 for new tubes so I said forget it and lived with the light. This time, they replaced the pump again which still didn't work and after more diagnostics they replaced the Secondary air pump relay and that I believe fixed the problem.

My vanos oil supply line was seeping oil however it was NOT covered under the warranty, they quoted me $280 I think. I will change it out myself when I have time.

They also found fault codes for the cylinder ignition coil #2 &6, they did a compression test and replaced coils 2 & 6 under warranty. This was a problem I did not know my car had.

They did not replaced my fuel tank however as the found no problems...lets hope the pump craps out before my warranty ends!

Anyways, I'd highly recommend Crevier BMW as they are quite knowledgeable of the SULEV warranty, their own folder contains more information than we have here and also have lists of what exact parts are covered. Got a nice 2014 328d loaner too, as nice and tech packed they are, I'm much more happier in the e46.

Last edited by eneka; 02-21-2014 at 11:59 PM.
eneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:32 AM   #419
Thinhcan

My Ride: E46
So finally after 180k Mileages on my 04 325i SULEV, i get a check engine light "P1449". Looking up the code, i found that it is the DMTL ? does anyone have anything to chime in on this code? I tighten up the gas cap is all that i've tried doing at the moment. I was leaving work when this Check Engine light came on and had to drive it home. So i cleared the code and drove home. But while on the freeway, it seems like the car didn't have enough power. I was able to make it home but it did feel weird driving the car.
Thinhcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #420
eneka

Hey guys, i'm about to change my transmission fluid, according to real oem, there's a "value line" kit with the part number 24152333915 which is around $150

However, ecs tuning has a kit for the ZF A5S325Z transmission which he have that's only $50~

anyone know what's the difference?

Tags
m56, sulev