E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.50 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #21
jM2.me

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
SO for starters, let's look at the back. Your wheels are .5" narrower. If both wheels were the same offset, that's .25" you're losing right there, which is roughly 6mm. But here's the real difference - your wheels are +35mm and his are +22mm. That's 13mm. Your wheels are a total of 19mm in farther than his wheels. Either you can't do math or you don't know how offsets work. The lower the number (or more negative), the farther the wheel sticks out.

And your cars are clearly not the same ride height. Not even close. Your car looks like a monster truck compared to his.
I should have mentioned this in original post, but I didn't. I have 20mm spacers all around. How does that play in the setup?
jM2.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #22
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Then lower your car more.

Or here's a better idea -

Stop trying so hard to be someone else.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #23
kr3678

My Ride: '01 330Ci
Off hand, I'd suspect different size spring pads. Kinda hard to tell from a computer screen...
kr3678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #24
jM2.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
Or here's a better idea - Stop trying so hard to be someone else.

I see you are not a fan, why is that? I would rather hear constructed criticism, and not that.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #25
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
I believe you just learned why Ride Height Specifications are taken from the bottom of the lowest point on the rim to the top of the highest point on the fender opening.

You have a tire that more closely fits the width of the rim, so the sidewall is taller. When you compare with a tire that's the same size but on a wider rim, then the sidewall (the vertical distance) will be less because the sidewall is pulled inward since the tire is stretched over a wider wheel.

Consider a triangle. The sides of the shape are the same dimension, except that one side is stretched. The width of the tread and the aspect ratio (sidewall) are the same dimensions, but the bead (which forms the third side) is longer. The distance of the hypotenuse to the angle on the short side is less. This makes the tire lower.

The real question would be, I have pictures of my friend's car, and of my car with HIS tires on, and his tires fill his fenders better than they fill my car. How come this happens? What you really asked is, my friend and I both have an M3 with completely different tire packages, how come his car looks better?

And, don't forget that a 225/45x17 from one tire maker, and the exact same size from another tire maker might be different. I recently changed out my old BFG gForce Sports for a set of Kuhmo ASXs, and the ASX is a taller tire by about a half inch -- an amount that I notice but really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #26
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jM2.me View Post
I should have mentioned this in original post, but I didn't. I have 20mm spacers all around. How does that play in the setup?
So, your post boils down to, "My car and my friend's car are nothing alike, how come his wheels fit differently?"

Answer, it's hard to say.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #27
jM2.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
So, your post boils down to, "My car and my friend's car are nothing alike, how come his wheels fit differently?"
Yes and no. I am not sure what you are referring to when you say "friend's car are nothing alike." Both cars, mine and OP's in linked thread, have m3 quarter panels welded on the rear. I assume it was done in similar, if not same, way on both cars.

OP in the linked thread have not posted about his suspension setup or camber, but I have tired something nifty. Jacked car up and got rid of rear springs. Then I just lowered the car, on a jack, until I was "satisfied" with how wheels look. Sure enough, it does look like the other car is lower than mine. I am not sure why I haven't done this before. I am happy with the current drop so I will settle for 18" and thicker tires when time comes.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #28
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
The angle of that photo does not help either.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #29
Patk12rs

My Ride: 2000 328ci
1 pic is taken from below and 1 is taken from above... change your camera stance, and problem solved
Patk12rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #30
FooFighter94

My Ride: 2001 325Cic
I can't get over the two paint jobs you seem to have between the rear-quarter panel/roof and the doors/front. What happened...
-Koni Yellows, Otherwise hella stock
FooFighter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #31
jM2.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFighter94 View Post
I can't get over the two paint jobs you seem to have between the rear-quarter panel/roof and the doors/front. What happened...
Clear coat over-spray. Because car wasn't baked, I am waiting the recommended period of 6 months before cutting and buffing.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #32
choxor

My Ride: JDM
50 shades of red.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #33
Goettler412

My Ride: e46 330ci
This is ridiculous.

Spend some time on www.stanceworks.com
Goettler412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #34
jM2.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
50 shades of red.
Hey mate, you forgot to point out that I don't have an actual M3 and point out the side grills.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #35
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
umm you really have nothing in common with that car. Added M3 arches are a custom job, not going to be the same. I don't think you have the same suspension and/or weight in car. Not to mention two different angles in photos and the other car is on uneven ground and on a sloping HILL so the car is going to lean and push down into the photo.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #36
slowlanemcvane

My Ride: 2001 325i
Me personally, I like the stance of your car better than his. His looks a little too over the top "stanced" for my liking.

Does your car ride the way you like? Does it handle bumps and turns the way you like? Because if it does, that should be good enough, and you should just enjoy the way your car drives, rather than trying to emulate someone else's look.

Last edited by slowlanemcvane; 01-22-2014 at 01:56 PM.
slowlanemcvane is offline   Reply With Quote