E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Incognito 2013 US Tour

I got to shoot part of the 2013 US tour of my fav UK Jazz Funk band, Incognito. 2 nights in the DMV area. Worked the hell out of my D90 and 50mm lens.

DC show

Half way through the set, the musicians switched instruments.
Vocalist on percussion

Drummer playing Bass

Annapolis show

http://www.incognito.org.uk/
Old 04-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
saxual328ci

Backstage

Matt Cooper, pianist. He performed with Whitney Houston the last time she toured the UK.

Tony Momrelle is also a member of R&B/Jazz group Sade

Bass Player, Francis Hylton, was showing me some stretching exercises backstage for my wrist.

Maysa, one the most underrated vocalist

This is what you do when you've been playing two sets a night #redbull

Last edited by saxual328ci; 04-13-2013 at 09:48 AM.
saxual328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
Photo 5 that guy is totally smiling at you! Nice shots overall.

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
saxual328ci

yeah we were all messing around backstage. Tony had just photo bomb me. The other guy João Caetano is the youngest in the group. He's 23yrs old from Portugal by the way of China.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Great band!

Great Pics!

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
saxual328ci

Thanks ! I've been a fan of Incognito since hearing their second LP on the radio, back in 1993. I've taken photos of them before and one of lead vocalist my work appears on her LP (Maysa Live at the Birchmere), but this tour I had free reign. Oh and a better camera to shoot with. When I was in London with them a few years ago, I had my little point and shoot camera. Every thing is surreal especially when I think about who these cats in Incognito have played with or recorded with. (Sade, Level 42, Simply Red, Bruce Springsteen, C&C Music Factory ..) The founder of the band, Bluey, has produced a lot of recordings...Musicians like Chaka Khan, Stevie Wonder, Maxi Priest, etc. It was great to talk with him about new projects, life, and music. #greattimes

Old 04-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
MP0WER

I found them in 93 as well. Haven't listened to them in some time. I lost my CD collection in a fire in 2003 and some of my favorite less notable, but great music was lost. Because i don't keep track of band names and albums etc... much of it has not been replaced with a digital version...yet! Thanks for the reminder!!

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
saxual328ci

Oh man sorry about loosing your collection. I would cry big time if I lost mine. Some of my stuff is from 70s which I have autographed. Saying that I'm a huge fan of Incognito is an understatement. I have all their LPs, and several of their lead singers LPs entire collection too.

I can't think of any music group that I follow who's music mirrors my music collection (taste). They play jazz, funk, latin, dance, and r&B. All of which I love. And they do it well. What I like most about Incognito is how they fuse the instruments together (voicing), and making the sound more fuller with adding in effects, and just how they record is smh #sick.

I have to have the cd (not mp3)... You can really hear the quality in the mix. Incognito actually records to real to real and then transfers it to digital, which gives it a more live feel. One of my buddies has some killer house speakers by Aerial Acoustics hooked up to an amp and Sony receiver... OMG the sound is incredible. You hear everything laid out in the mix. When their music comes across my car speakers, people think I have some high quality system in my car. I just love it!

I forgot I recorded this too.

Last edited by saxual328ci; 04-15-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
saxual328ci

I'm so excited ! Maysa, one of the lead singer, received her 1st Grammy Nomination ! She purchased a set of photos for her Live cd from me.

http://www.grammy.com/nominees

Maysa
Old 12-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
MP0WER

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
Oh man sorry about loosing your collection. I would cry big time if I lost mine. Some of my stuff is from 70s which I have autographed. Saying that I'm a huge fan of Incognito is an understatement. I have all their LPs, and several of their lead singers LPs entire collection too.

I can't think of any music group that I follow who's music mirrors my music collection (taste). They play jazz, funk, latin, dance, and r&B. All of which I love. And they do it well. What I like most about Incognito is how they fuse the instruments together (voicing), and making the sound more fuller with adding in effects, and just how they record is smh #sick.

I have to have the cd (not mp3)... You can really hear the quality in the mix. Incognito actually records to real to real and then transfers it to digital, which gives it a more live feel. One of my buddies has some killer house speakers by Aerial Acoustics hooked up to an amp and Sony receiver... OMG the sound is incredible. You hear everything laid out in the mix. When their music comes across my car speakers, people think I have some high quality system in my car. I just love it!

I forgot I recorded this too.

Yes! when i found them i was big into the car stereo scene and their music was awesome because of the awesome sound quality. Never knew why, but i knew it sounded way better than most other music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
I'm so excited ! Maysa, one of the lead singer, received her 1st Grammy Nomination ! She purchased a set of photos for her Live cd from me.

http://www.grammy.com/nominees

Maysa
That's awesome, on both levels!!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
saxual328ci

When I went to their 25th Anniversary concert in London I got a chance to hangout with them. They made sure I was taken care of and that I got around safely. Each night I got to eat and hang with the band. I even got a look at their studio. These guys are incredible. The list of musicians that they play with outside of Incognito is f'in unbelievable.

What I learned back when I started listening to them is that they record to analog tape then convert it to digital. Its said, also, that UK engineers know how to mix. It helps too that the band arrangements create a fat sound. I was listening to their current cd, Surreal, and I noticed how the horns section doubles as keyboard. The horns are actually playing behind the lead vocalist. You can heard chords playing as if it was meant to be played on a piano. (music technique). The music doesn't crowd the space. Everything is evenly mixed. Listening to them in my car with stock speakers, you truly hear all 10 speakers. When I turn the volume up, you don't even lose the quality. I can only imagine if I were to add a subwoofer. I do listen to them in my mom's Jeep Cherokee. Super Nice!

I'm one of Maysa's live photographers slash fans. lol Its an honor that these musicians allow you to go backstage with them and capture stuff most fans don't get to see.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #12
MP0WER

^^ That's awesome!

So you're telling me that if i buy their stuff on iTunes that it won't be the same quality as a CD?

Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
saxual328ci

MP3s are compressed. Both are fine. Its just that you can hear more of the mix if you listen to the cd. That's a given with any quality mixed cd. In my car, I flipped back and for between my iPod vs the actual CD. What I heard was more midrange and highs. The bottom was spaced out more on the cd. But idk if you can hear it. I'm a musician and I can hear the just subtle of noises in a room.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #14
MP0WER

i'm not a musician, but at one point in my life i'd rip apart my car and rework it to get better quality sound. I suppose those days are gone and i'm just gonna give the MP3s a try.

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #15
saxual328ci

Kewl ..

I saw this today in the Washington post. They used my photo for Maysa's article in the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...o-the-grammys/

Quote:
R&B singer and Baltimore native Maysa Leak was celebrating her son Jazz’s 14th birthday when she finally got the call that would validate a career spanning 22 years and 10 albums.
“I just lost it,” Leak recalled. “I screamed at the top of my lungs, then could barely talk.”
On the other line was Wendi Cherry, executive director of the Recording Academy’s D.C. chapter. Leak’s song “Quiet Fire” had been nominated for a Grammy in the “Best Traditional R&B Performance” category. Her first Grammy nod.
“I wish everyone in their career could experience how it feels to be recognized for your work,” Leaks said on Thursday, as she was on her way to pick up a custom gown from Baltimore-based designers Hyman and Hyman for Sunday night’s awards show.
No stranger to Hollywood, Leak, known to her fans as simply Maysa, moved to Los Angeles in the early 90s to sing backup for Stevie Wonder. She’s come a long way since. At a 2012 fundraising event Leak performed a song Wonder wrote for the Obamas called “Have Sweet Dreams” — and in front of the first lady herself. She wasn’t nervous then but admits to harboring butterflies now. She doesn’t have a speech prepared, although a Baltimore shout-out seems likely.
“If I win I would share this with all the underground kids who keep pushing along in our careers. This is for all of us.”

Maysa @ Birchmere by mo'funk, on Flickr

Last edited by saxual328ci; 01-25-2014 at 05:57 PM.