E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 03:18 AM   #1
sneakyRedPanda

My Ride: 2004 325i
Send a message via Skype™ to sneakyRedPanda
Couple questions regarding the Umnitza Projector46 headlights.

I poked around on this subforum but I'm more confused about the actual headlights I'm looking to purchase themselves. I've got an '04 325i with OEM headlights, and the previous owner installed one of the headlight bulbs wrong, and ended up melting through the reflector dish. I've decided to just replace them entirely, and I wanted to go with angel eyes. Looking around, it seems that Umnitza has probably the best deal:

http://www.umnitza.com/projector46-t...ing-p-208.html

I just had a few questions regarding these.
  • This is the entire headlight housing, correct? I'm unplugging the bulbs, and taking the entire enclosure for each headlight out and putting new ones in.
  • There is a lot of terminology that I've tried to research but I'm having a bit of trouble. The "Xenon" drop box on the page has a lot of options, and I know that I do want Xenons, but I have no idea what the difference is between them. What's Canbus? It seems to be some sort of brand? Also, from what I can gather, FX-R Retrofit is the assembly that the xenon sits in, with the ballast and such. What's the advantage to using FX-R retrofit over Canbus? Or using Canbus over the OE Xenon 50W? Or even the OEM Xenon D2S ones? (What the hell is D2S anyways?)
  • The first option for Car Model doesn't actually list an option for 2004 Sedan, but I can pick the 2002-2005 3-Series Wagon (Screw In) and then pick the Sedan option from the Car Type. I'm assuming that's OK.
  • 5000K seems to be a good balance between visibility and pure white light.
  • I'm opting for the Orion Lite angel eyes, they seem to be pretty decent for their price.
  • The pre-installed section lists FX-R Retrofit, No Thanks, or Yes, Please. I'm assuming that only if I do opt for the FX-R Retrofit I would need them to preinstall it. I'm definitely looking for plug-n-play right now.
  • It seems like FX-R Retrofit is optional, but what do I lose by not using it?
  • They don't seem to say straight-forward whether or not the actual xenon bulbs are included.

Sorry, this comes across as totally needy but everywhere I've tried to research everyone already knows what all of these things mean.

Thanks everyone.

Edit:

Okay, re-reading the description of the product is a tad more enlightening. The D2S system is just like OEM, but the Canbus offers better error correcting on the ECU side. Would the OEM set have any issues seeing as my car came factory with halogens? Did they even come with optional xenons?

Last edited by sneakyRedPanda; 01-27-2014 at 03:25 AM.
sneakyRedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:43 AM   #2
sneakyRedPanda

Here's what I've set up on the Umnitza website:

These are also rather attractive as far as price point goes... is the build quality that much different? These come with Orion V2 as well..

Last edited by sneakyRedPanda; 01-27-2014 at 03:53 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
This is the entire headlight housing, correct? I'm unplugging the bulbs, and taking the entire enclosure for each headlight out and putting new ones in.
-Yes, the entire headlight is included. You would uninstall yours and install the ones from Umnitza

There is a lot of terminology that I've tried to research but I'm having a bit of trouble. The "Xenon" drop box on the page has a lot of options, and I know that I do want Xenons, but I have no idea what the difference is between them. What's Canbus? It seems to be some sort of brand? Also, from what I can gather, FX-R Retrofit is the assembly that the xenon sits in, with the ballast and such. What's the advantage to using FX-R retrofit over Canbus? Or using Canbus over the OE Xenon 50W? Or even the OEM Xenon D2S ones? (What the hell is D2S anyways?)
-The CANBUS is the ballast which powers the xenon headlights. If your car came with halogens, this will help power the xenons as well as prevent any error lights from appearing on your dash (such as a bulb out warning that is common when switching to xenon from halogen.) The FX-R is a projector. The Projector46 comes with a certain type of projector. The FX-R is superior in light output, so they will offer to retrofit it for you (will comment more on this further down). 50w vs 35w is the amount of power that is supplied to the lightbulb (D2S). 50w CANBUS will provide more light over the 35w. But the 35w canbus is standard and most people get along fine with just that. D2S is the type of bulb that fits in this projector.

The first option for Car Model doesn't actually list an option for 2004 Sedan, but I can pick the 2002-2005 3-Series Wagon (Screw In) and then pick the Sedan option from the Car Type. I'm assuming that's OK.
- I believe you chose the wrong headlight option. Try this one: http://www.umnitza.com/projector46-p...on-p-1099.html

5000K seems to be a good balance between visibility and pure white light.
- Correct

I'm opting for the Orion Lite angel eyes, they seem to be pretty decent for their price.
-The Orion Lite's are ok, most people (myself included) believe the Orion V2's are the best option overall.

The pre-installed section lists FX-R Retrofit, No Thanks, or Yes, Please. I'm assuming that only if I do opt for the FX-R Retrofit I would need them to preinstall it. I'm definitely looking for plug-n-play right now.
-Correct, if you choose the FX-R retrofit, then you would need them pre-installed. The entire package will be plug n play regardless of what options you choose. Except for the angel eyes which require a bit more work on your part. But the entire thing is pretty easy and there are good instructions online.

It seems like FX-R Retrofit is optional, but what do I lose by not using it?
-Visibility. The P46 projectors aren't the greatest option as an xenon upgrade. The FX-R's allow for a much better light output compared to the P46 projectors.

They don't seem to say straight-forward whether or not the actual xenon bulbs are included.
- I believe they are included. They were with my order anyway. I got a complete set-up including FX-R retrofits and the Orion V2's. The bulbs were included.

Now for my personal opinion on this. I ordered a complete headlight set from them (Umnitza) for Black Friday and got them within 2 weeks, since they do have to build the headlights to your specification, it takes a bit of time. Everything worked fine, the headlights and angel eyes. I have been running the set-up on my car for 2 months now and no issues. Here is where my problem is, their retrofit is horrible. And I will explain my meaning. They did the retrofit and replaced the stock P46 projectors with the FX-R's. So the headlights are useable, but the cutoff is horrible. Here is a sample photo of what the cutoff should look like: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/003...toff_large.jpg

The projector cutoff should form a perfectly horizontal line. But my headlights are slanted. My passenger side is mostly level (but not exact, there is still a slant) but the passenger side headlight is like this " \ " slanting down. And it's not slight, it is very obvious. So my opinion is to do the retrofit yourself. Go to: www.theretrofitsource.com and buy all the parts for the retrofit and work on it yourself. Umnitza does hundreds if not thousands of retrofits. And they claim to test every one to make sure they are working before they go out. Now this to me, means that they checked to make sure my headlights were working, saw that the cutoffs were not level and mailed them to me anyway. I didn't even bother to say anything to them, simply because I know it would be an incredible hassle. They would make me pay for the shipping to return these and who knows how long the turnaround time would be for my replacement set. If they even admitted to this being their fault in the first place. Not just that, but these headlights come with knobs on the top to adjust the headlights up and down and from left to right. The knobs on of the headlights was completely stripped. I had to pull the headlight completely apart to get the leveling to work again, using an old headlight housing that I had from a previous retrofit. And now its bearable, but I am not satisfied, by an means with how much I paid for them and the end product.

I previously did a retrofit and I would recommend that you do the same. It is a lot easier than you might think. If I had the option to do it all over, I would have gone that route again. The reason I needed another set was because one of the headlights, the reflector bowl got burnt (my own fault) and was basically useless as far as light output goes. I felt lazy and took advantage of the Black Friday sale. But honestly, for the amount of money I spent, it wasn't worth it. For a fraction of the cost, you can get all the parts you need and do the job on a weekend. If you have any questions, I'll be glad answer anything that I can.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
sneakyRedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiz21 View Post
*snip*
I can't begin to thank you enough for writing all that up.

This is a lot more enlightening. I'm liking the Projector46 Lite more and more, seeing as I'm not super concerned with getting DEPOs or the FX-R retrofit. I think I've narrowed it down to two options:

Projector46 Premium Sedan 2002-2005
  • Xenon 25W Canbus
  • Orion Lite Angel Eyes
  • Total: $474.97

Projector46 Lite Sedan 2002-2005
  • Xenon 35W Canbus
  • Orion V2 Angel Eyes
  • Total: $374.97

So I'm basically picking between DEPO and non-DEPO, but if I go with the non-DEPO I get Orion V2s and spend $100 less. Seeing as DEPO isn't a huge deal for me in the first place, I'm not entirely sure I want to spend more on 'em. Is the difference that large?
Old 01-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
I am not quite sure as I haven't had both personally, to judge from. But I can tell you that most people who buy the P46's in general, aren't happy with the cutoffs. Do some googling of our cars with P46 headlights and you'll see what I mean. I had them at one point and got tired of the bad output and that is why I did my first retrofit. The difference is quite literally like night and day. Most people will agree that you won't be happy in the long run. Yes at first you may be content compared to your halogen output. But when compared to other xenon options, it really doesn't quite compare.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
sneakyRedPanda

I appreciate it. I'll take a look at the alternatives and go from there.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyRedPanda View Post
I can't begin to thank you enough for writing all that up.

This is a lot more enlightening. I'm liking the Projector46 Lite more and more, seeing as I'm not super concerned with getting DEPOs or the FX-R retrofit. I think I've narrowed it down to two options:

Projector46 Premium Sedan 2002-2005
  • Xenon 25W Canbus
  • Orion Lite Angel Eyes
  • Total: $474.97

Projector46 Lite Sedan 2002-2005
  • Xenon 35W Canbus
  • Orion V2 Angel Eyes
  • Total: $374.97

So I'm basically picking between DEPO and non-DEPO, but if I go with the non-DEPO I get Orion V2s and spend $100 less. Seeing as DEPO isn't a huge deal for me in the first place, I'm not entirely sure I want to spend more on 'em. Is the difference that large?
Quote:
Here's what I've set up on the Umnitza website:

These are also rather attractive as far as price point goes... is the build quality that much different? These come with Orion V2 as well..

Because you are relatively local - Santa Rosa to Concord isn't that bad of a drive, you have the added benefit of actually seeing the products prior to purchase.

We do not recommend the Projector46 LITE versions at all. They are merely intended for customers like body shops that have repairs where the customer simply doesn't care and wants a cheap solution on the car that is rarely driven at night.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
A company's headlights are only as good as the quality of the employee doing the work. In our case, an employee that we hired originally was doing well began a slow decline in workmanship and that is no longer the case as he was let go and a new one hired with a much greater attention to detail and experience level.

Please take that information with you when you consider our retrofit, as the last 20+ retrofits we've done for customers locally have come out exceptionally well, not to mention the headlights leaving the shop have all been approved prior to shipping by our customers.

That doesn't mean we're always going to be perfect, but we're striving to ensure that every headlight leaves here first with our approval but not without the customer's approval with photos and documentation of the work achieved. This is a new policy starting Jan 1st 2014.

Now, to your actual questions:
Quote:
I poked around on this subforum but I'm more confused about the actual headlights I'm looking to purchase themselves. I've got an '04 325i with OEM headlights, and the previous owner installed one of the headlight bulbs wrong, and ended up melting through the reflector dish. I've decided to just replace them entirely, and I wanted to go with angel eyes. Looking around, it seems that Umnitza has probably the best deal:

http://www.umnitza.com/projector46-t...ing-p-208.html

I just had a few questions regarding these.
  • This is the entire headlight housing, correct? I'm unplugging the bulbs, and taking the entire enclosure for each headlight out and putting new ones in.
    [b]Regardless of what you choose, FXR or non-FXR, we create a headlight that installs largely plug and play. You are still responsible for the wiring of the angel eyes with our harness, but that's it.
  • There is a lot of terminology that I've tried to research but I'm having a bit of trouble. The "Xenon" drop box on the page has a lot of options, and I know that I do want Xenons, but I have no idea what the difference is between them. What's Canbus? It seems to be some sort of brand? Also, from what I can gather, FX-R Retrofit is the assembly that the xenon sits in, with the ballast and such. What's the advantage to using FX-R retrofit over Canbus? Or using Canbus over the OE Xenon 50W? Or even the OEM Xenon D2S ones? (What the hell is D2S anyways?)

A) Canbus is our brand of HID ballast that on your car will guarantee no errors. It is not fool proof on all cars, but 2002-2005 Sedans/Wagons, it is.
    B) FXR is a new projector that replaces the existing projector inside the housing that is native to the DEPO assembly. It is a night and day improvement in quality.
    C) Various options imply that you get only an adapter, a 35W Canbus kit, or a 50W Canbus kit with your order.
    D) You cannot for our car select the OEM D2S system, it will not work. D2S is the OEM bulb type.

• The first option for Car Model doesn't actually list an option for 2004 Sedan, but I can pick the 2002-2005 3-Series Wagon (Screw In) and then pick the Sedan option from the Car Type. I'm assuming that's OK.
    Correct.
  • 5000K seems to be a good balance between visibility and pure white light.
    If you select the 6000K and 50W, that is what we've found to be the best light output/color combo. But the choice of 35W with 5000K is exceptional as well
  • I'm opting for the Orion Lite angel eyes, they seem to be pretty decent for their price.
    They are fine, we do not recommend them as a long term alternative as they have a 1 year warranty and not as much of a proven track record long term. We also have a little private special we're running right now that will save you some money if you email us that you can take advantage of still for our existing customers
  • The pre-installed section lists FX-R Retrofit, No Thanks, or Yes, Please. I'm assuming that only if I do opt for the FX-R Retrofit I would need them to preinstall it. I'm definitely looking for plug-n-play right now.

That is correct.
  • It seems like FX-R Retrofit is optional, but what do I lose by not using it?
    You lose a lot of light output, bixenon feature where the low beam acts as a high beam as well.
  • They don't seem to say straight-forward whether or not the actual xenon bulbs are included.
    Bulbs are included if you choose any Xenon option. High and low beams.High beams are always halogen unless you pay/purchase different ones.

Sorry, this comes across as totally needy but everywhere I've tried to research everyone already knows what all of these things mean.

Thanks everyone.

Edit:

Okay, re-reading the description of the product is a tad more enlightening. The D2S system is just like OEM, but the Canbus offers better error correcting on the ECU side. Would the OEM set have any issues seeing as my car came factory with halogens? Did they even come with optional xenons?
Hope that helps. Also please feel free to call us as well.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
sneakyRedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
*snip*
Thanks very much. I'll be emailing you guys about the money saving opportunity.