E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2006, 02:48 PM   #41
minyi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: McKinney
Posts: 17
My Ride: 02' 325cic
I had (still do some) the exact rattles around my windows. First thing I did was to measure the "height" of the window frames from the door panels. My driver side was about 1/4" shorter than the passenger side, which made me believe the window glass itself is touching the metal frame inside the weather seal on the canvas top. I don't think they are not supposed to, but since the soft-top is being a "moving" part, they do get out of alignment I think.

I tried to "push" up the frame abit with my bare hands, and it did got rid of some of the rattles, but I was afraid to do any more of this pursuation that I might bend it even break the frame itself if too much. Then, the light bulb went off in my head. Why not put some weather strips inside to avoid the contact? So, I ended up buying the 1/8" caulk saver stipes (round) and squeezed it around the seal after cutting them to right length... then. 90% of the rattles gone. I can only hear very slight rattle during cornering and over some bumps. It just costed me less than $3 bucks (actually around $10 for trying different weather strips from Home Depot). If someone finds better material, let me know so it can be 100% rattle-free.

Hope this helps...

BTW, does anyone know where I can find the rubber seal around the real bottom of the top? Mine is broken off close to the driver side edge. It doesn't leak or anything, but like to replace it(it does make a very small squeek cornering). Looks like a 5-min job. Just can't find the rubber seal. Thanks in advance...

Last edited by minyi; 03-18-2006 at 03:03 PM.
minyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #42
krc217
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4
My Ride: 2006 Cica
I had a 2002 325 CIc and never had convertable top noises. I now have a 2006 330 CIc w/16K miles and when going slow the is a constant popping noise. (I bought the car last week). I took it to the dealer and they replaced the seals on the top. Picked up the car today 2/27/10 popping noise is still there. Will call dealer. This is totally unaceptable! Anyone else have a popping sound?
krc217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #43
jnguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northants
Posts: 2
My Ride: 318 Convertible
Convertible roof rattles

Two different rattles in my new 2002 BMW convertible now solved (silence is golden!) Many thanks to the members who pointed me in the correct direction.
Dont listen to people who say you have to put up with these rattles - they can be sorted.

Rattle No.1 was with the tops of both windows making a noise against the roof. I followed the suggestion to put a rubber strip in the roof where the
window touches. I used some rubber actually used in house double glazed windows. This did the job perfectly.

Rattle No 2 was where the roof touches the rear deck. I followed the BMW service modification suggestion (talked about on the forum) by pushing a tube inside the rubber seal on the roof (where it touches the boot) . I actually used some satillite cable as the tubing. I did it in two halves from each side, meeting in the middle, as it is hard pushing it through (lubricate the cable first). This mod increases the tension and completely cured the creeking. Thanks again to those who put me in the right direction.

I have now joined so I can feed back my experience and hopefully help others.
jnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #44
alibusoul
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX - TCU
Posts: 1,357
My Ride: TiAg e46 Vert
can you elaborate on the rubber stripping? what kind.. pics of it maybe, etc.

My car rattles and shakes pretty vigorously when I hit bumps on the road, like I can physically see my rearview mirror shake (I'd say about .5in back and forth real quick on a hard bump) along with the car making so many noises it sounds like its falling apart
__________________
alibusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #45
fmzip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Northeast
Posts: 3,007
My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
The cab lid cover can be a source of rattling as well, may need adjusting.....
__________________
fmzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:31 AM   #46
jnguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northants
Posts: 2
My Ride: 318 Convertible
It is the rubber seal used for house double glazing windows. It is in the shape of a V profile with another bit at the top. Any window company/fitter
should be able to give you some. (sorry cant do pics at present)
jnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #47
ayy itss daveee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brooklyn NYC
Posts: 305
My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Send a message via AIM to ayy itss daveee
If you have tinted windows that will make the squeaky top even worse. Because on the vertical edge of the windows where they meet the seal, there are these little painted dots on the glass. These are there to minimize the noise of glass on rubber. If you have tints, the film covers these dots and therefore makes them obsolete. I've read that if you Rejex the glass inside and out, applying liberally to the edges all the way around, and treat the rubber with GummiPledge, it helps a lot. I just placed my order for both last night, so when it arrives we'll see what happens.
__________________
ayy itss daveee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #48
nopcbs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 39
My Ride: GMC Yukon XL
Did Rattle #2 "fix" hold up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnguy View Post
Two different rattles in my new 2002 BMW convertible now solved (silence is golden!) Many thanks to the members who pointed me in the correct direction.
Dont listen to people who say you have to put up with these rattles - they can be sorted.

Rattle No.1 was with the tops of both windows making a noise against the roof. I followed the suggestion to put a rubber strip in the roof where the
window touches. I used some rubber actually used in house double glazed windows. This did the job perfectly.

Rattle No 2 was where the roof touches the rear deck. I followed the BMW service modification suggestion (talked about on the forum) by pushing a tube inside the rubber seal on the roof (where it touches the boot) . I actually used some satillite cable as the tubing. I did it in two halves from each side, meeting in the middle, as it is hard pushing it through (lubricate the cable first). This mod increases the tension and completely cured the creeking. Thanks again to those who put me in the right direction.

I have now joined so I can feed back my experience and hopefully help others.
************************************************************ ****

I bought a 26,000 miles 2006 E46 M3 vert last October and am just strarting to drive it. It is nearly noise-free top down, but makes plasticy rattle noises when the top is up. I think the problem is what you described as Rattle #2. Before I read about BMW TSB 54-200-03, I treated the weather stripping at the rear of the top with Gummifluge and put some quality car wax on the channel of the plastic top cover itself, where the weather stripping makes contact when the top is up. This did help with the noise, but did not eliminate it. Then I found out about TSB 54-200-03, but have not found it to read. The description is pretty obvious, though: a kludge where you cut the hollow weather stripping open and stuff something stiff like plastic tubing or coax cable down it to make it stiffer.

I am curious how long this "fix" holds up. I would guess that if I had a BMW dealer do it, being out of warranty, it would be a couple hundred bucks. I can also do it myself, of course. In either case if it just lasts a short time, it would not be worth the money or the time.

Appreciate any input.

- nopcbs
nopcbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #49
Johnnynewsround
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bristol
Posts: 4
My Ride: M3
Rattle in convertible top

The rattle in my hood is heavy, it sounds like the exhaust is hitting the car when going over bumps, but I'm pretty sure it is the hood because it only occurs with the hood up. Please can anyone tell me is this the same as referenced in the service bulletin ?? Thanks, John
Johnnynewsround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #50
nopcbs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 39
My Ride: GMC Yukon XL
I think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnynewsround View Post
The rattle in my hood is heavy, it sounds like the exhaust is hitting the car when going over bumps, but I'm pretty sure it is the hood because it only occurs with the hood up. Please can anyone tell me is this the same as referenced in the service bulletin ?? Thanks, John
*********************************************************

I think so, it is pretty noisy. In any case, you should try the fix. It is very easy and inexpensive and you want to do it, anyway, for diagnostic purposes, if nothing else. If it does not help, you might have something more serious wrong. Also, if it only happens top up, it pretty much must be top related.

By the way, Mike (God bles him!) Miller put my letter in the latest issue of the BMW Car Club of America magazine, in his Tech Talk column.

- nopcbs
nopcbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #51
nopcbs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 39
My Ride: GMC Yukon XL
Answering my own question...

I applied the fix some months back, it worked, and has held up ever since.

- nopcbs


Quote:
Originally Posted by nopcbs View Post
************************************************************ ****

I bought a 26,000 miles 2006 E46 M3 vert last October and am just strarting to drive it. It is nearly noise-free top down, but makes plasticy rattle noises when the top is up. I think the problem is what you described as Rattle #2. Before I read about BMW TSB 54-200-03, I treated the weather stripping at the rear of the top with Gummifluge and put some quality car wax on the channel of the plastic top cover itself, where the weather stripping makes contact when the top is up. This did help with the noise, but did not eliminate it. Then I found out about TSB 54-200-03, but have not found it to read. The description is pretty obvious, though: a kludge where you cut the hollow weather stripping open and stuff something stiff like plastic tubing or coax cable down it to make it stiffer.

I am curious how long this "fix" holds up. I would guess that if I had a BMW dealer do it, being out of warranty, it would be a couple hundred bucks. I can also do it myself, of course. In either case if it just lasts a short time, it would not be worth the money or the time.

Appreciate any input.

- nopcbs
nopcbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #52
Johnnynewsround
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bristol
Posts: 4
My Ride: M3
Okay, many thanks I'll give this a try !!
Johnnynewsround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #53
Johnnynewsround
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bristol
Posts: 4
My Ride: M3
Okay, I tried this fix using a piece of coax cable, but then the hood wouldn't close so took it out. On further investigation I found the rattle to be coming from the hood bag, only when open. I have now affixed sticky foam around all the edges and cured the problem. I am still surprised that this rattle sounded so heavy, when it was actually coming from just some plastic bits. John
Johnnynewsround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #54
taylor192
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Best Place on Earth
Posts: 1,643
My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnynewsround View Post
Okay, I tried this fix using a piece of coax cable, but then the hood wouldn't close so took it out. On further investigation I found the rattle to be coming from the hood bag, only when open. I have now affixed sticky foam around all the edges and cured the problem. I am still surprised that this rattle sounded so heavy, when it was actually coming from just some plastic bits. John
What was rattling on the hood bag? I noticed my rattle is gone with the top down, yet with the top up the rattle persist regardless of the position of the "hood bag".
__________________
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #55
Johnnynewsround
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bristol
Posts: 4
My Ride: M3
I've done a little more investigating and found that what makes a difference is adding some foam to the rearmost vertical and horizontal parts of the hood bag frame. I affixed some sticky back window foam with a section of 5 x 9 and 290 long each side. This has made a really big difference to my car, but the rattle was only ever apparent with the hood up and the hood bag open. I hope this helps.
Johnnynewsround is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use