E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #21
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift.mechanic View Post
Eagles wear too fast, agreed.

General too dangerous when wet, don't agree at all.

Conti too dangerous when cold, proved that was incorrect by using Conti summers last fall at -2 celsius with no worries.

The rest you would put on a Honda, don't know why you would be putting Advan S4's or G-Force Sport Comp's on a street Honda. Neither tread is more advantageous for a FWD.

And if you were tracking your Honda, like I do in SCCA, both those tires aren't worth a damn on the track. Advan A048's for a street DOT or Hoosier R6, nothing else. These tires are like glue. Any track with decent grip and I can hang a tire all day long.

if you're the expert why are you asking? seems an expert on tires would have the pilot ss on the list

adv tread for a fwd car,lol

why would a track a honda when i could track a z06?

a honda is for getting to work

gtfoh

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 01-26-2014 at 03:18 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #22
drift.mechanic

My Ride: E46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
if you're the expert why are you asking? seems an expert on tires would have the pilot ss on the list

adv tread for a fwd car,lol

why would a track a honda when i could track a z06?

a honda is for getting to work

gtfoh
hahah! Cute! Don't be sour little man!

Maybe repeating yet again might help, NO MICHELIN.
Pilot SS is a 274$ tire, we're comparing 150$ options.
http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/tire...sport/2080870/

Why track a track a Honda when you can track a Z06?
Because every chump, and his boyfriend, I've seen in a Z06 look like this:

----------------------------------------------------

Alright, back to tires.
I'll be calling Canada Tire tomorrow when I get my friend's account information, Kumho, Nexen, Federal, and General Tire supplier in the surrounding area. I think he also has an account with the North Shore Yokohama tire distribution center as well, I'll find out tomorrow.
For now, I'm having issues loading TireRack so I'll have to use Discount Tire's database for information for now.

Found Canada Tire's price list database:
http://www.cdatire.com/_eng/tire-listing34534_&fdg.php
I'm not sold on Chinese tires, and they seem to stock a bunch of brands.

Once I compare the different models, and come up with the reviews, I'll post them here for other members to read. I'll make a choice after that.

Those who helped, thanks for the opinions and thoughts. If you come up with any more viable options around the 150$/tire budget, post a pic in the thread.

Last edited by drift.mechanic; 01-26-2014 at 03:54 PM.
drift.mechanic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #23
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
sad, i can get em for less than $150

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:39 AM   #24
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
Not quite understanding the logic here. You are complaining of having the replace tires often yet you consider a stickier, higher wearing tire.......for a DD???????
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #25
drift.mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaLe39 View Post
Not quite understanding the logic here. You are complaining of having the replace tires often yet you consider a stickier, higher wearing tire.......for a DD???????
There's a difference between a Advan A048 with a 60 tread wear and the new Toyo Proxes with a 560 or the G-MAX AS-03 with 480. If you're using a set of A048's and complain of their wear, you're an idiot. Same thing for the opposite, if you're using a A/S 700 tread wear tire in your E46 and can't keep it straight every time you accelerate from a corner, once again, you're an idiot. That's not what's being debated or considered here.

The last few years, I've used Falken Azenis, or FT-615's, with a 200 tread wear, BFG KDW's, Federal 595's, etc. Amazing grip, 1 season of use before they're trash.
The tires we're comparing are 380 and up, average price of 150$/unit A traction and A temperature ratings.

Don't know where you got "complaining" from. Wanting to back away from soft 200 tread wear tires and move to medium compound 380-400 tread wear is smart. As with any tire, compromises must be made. But finding the right tire with the smallest compromises for your budget is the key, and often overlooked by most.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #26
JetLif3

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325ci
+1 for PSS, love them.

JetLif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #27
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
Sorry, was thinking of another tire then what you posted. If you are deciding between the BFGs and the Yokos I would pick the BFGs. You'll give up a little comfort but overall I think the BFGs are a better buy. Also, take into consideration that the Yokos are considered all season vs the BFGs which are considered summer. So if you plan to just use these as summer tires, no reason to give up performance for the all seasons.
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:17 AM   #28
drift.mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaLe39 View Post
Sorry, was thinking of another tire then what you posted. If you are deciding between the BFGs and the Yokos I would pick the BFGs. You'll give up a little comfort but overall I think the BFGs are a better buy. Also, take into consideration that the Yokos are considered all season vs the BFGs which are considered summer. So if you plan to just use these as summer tires, no reason to give up performance for the all seasons.
The BFG Sport Comps and the Toyo Proxes 4+ are my final two choices.
Advantage to the BFG's because I've used them before and loved them.

Too bad I can't find that price I paid anywhere... They're up almost 20%