E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
Dazza335iC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 107
My Ride: '02 330Ci, '92 335iC
Rear diff bushing removal Q

I have a crack in the rear diff bushing...

It'll need to be replaced sooner rather than later and everything I read says it's a bitch of a job without special tools and lots of time. But does it have to be?

I started thinking: On e30s it's super easy. Unbolt rear diff cover, unbolt rear diff bushing, and voila! Out it comes in one small and easy to manage piece. 5 minutes with a press and you've got the old bushing out, new one in, and you're ready to bolt the cover/bushing back in the car.

It looks possible, but I must be missing something... If it's this easy everyone would be doing it this way, right? Or did I just stumble on some kind of holy grail

edit: nevermind. Upon further inspection it appears the bushing carrier/mount is attached to the subframe and not the diff cover... D'oh!

Last edited by Dazza335iC; 01-24-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Dazza335iC is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Phoenix330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 540
My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Exactly!

The tool makes the job a lot easier and this one only cost $125. Allows it to be removed and pressed in while the sub frame is on the car. I have read threads where people did this and that it seemed it took them hours trying to remove and install without the specific tool. It all is a factor of time vs. money. I like (for the most part) working on my car but enjoy free time on the weekends. Also while you are thinking of it get the Myle HD bushing, supposed to last longer.
__________________
Phoenix330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Dazza335iC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 107
My Ride: '02 330Ci, '92 335iC
Do you have a link to said tool?

edit: nvm, found it in your reply to another thread!

Last edited by Dazza335iC; 01-24-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Dazza335iC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
mr ilia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Golden Horseshoe
Posts: 298
My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
Removing the bushing without special tool is easy, the hard part is to press it in. But you can always use Powerflex bushing poly bushing, it does not need any special tools to mount.
__________________
mr ilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
Tangent_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Jacinto, CA
Posts: 2,102
My Ride: '01 330i
I wish it was that easy on an E46. I read quite a few horror stories about getting the old bushing out and some problems getting new ones in without the proper tool. Some people didn't have that trouble, but considering how easy the proper tool amde it I can't recommend it enough. I rented the tool and it made the actual bushing removal/replacement by far the easiest part of the entire job. The job itself really isn't difficult, just time-consuming. The hardest part was getting the diff back in. I rested it on a jack and had somebody help with pushing the jack forward and back while lifting or lowering it as I wrestled the diff into place.
__________________
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/signaturepics/sigpic70081_4.gif
Tangent_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
Phoenix330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 540
My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
I wish it was that easy on an E46. I read quite a few horror stories about getting the old bushing out and some problems getting new ones in without the proper tool. Some people didn't have that trouble, but considering how easy the proper tool amde it I can't recommend it enough. I rented the tool and it made the actual bushing removal/replacement by far the easiest part of the entire job. The job itself really isn't difficult, just time-consuming. The hardest part was getting the diff back in. I rested it on a jack and had somebody help with pushing the jack forward and back while lifting or lowering it as I wrestled the diff into place.
Agree......it took me a couple hours of removing the necessary parts and the differential, especially since you need to have someone put the tranny back and forth from park to neutral to spin the drive shaft to remove the differential bolts. I had the bushing in and out I think in ten minutes. I did this job over two days under the car without a lift. One day I took it all out and changed the bushings. Then quit. The next day installed it all back in. I think the dealer wanted something like $1,900 for the job. Between tool and parts, I think I was at $175-$200.

The tool for this job is really not that much, $125 and worth every penny, and no struggle. My dad was there and could not believe how little time that part took compared to all the other things you had to do.
__________________
Phoenix330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
Dazza335iC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 107
My Ride: '02 330Ci, '92 335iC
huh, I was under the impression the tool allowed for r&r of the bushing without the ned for pulling the diff. Sounds like I was wrong?
Dazza335iC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
mr ilia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Golden Horseshoe
Posts: 298
My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza335iC View Post
huh, I was under the impression the tool allowed for r&r of the bushing without the ned for pulling the diff. Sounds like I was wrong?
This is what I want to try doing when it warms up up a little bit here.
To me it looks like you can do the rear bushing only with out taking the diff out.

I will see if this is possible when i get my hands on it.
__________________
mr ilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
Dazza335iC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 107
My Ride: '02 330Ci, '92 335iC
Thanks! Can't wait to here if it's possible!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Dazza335iC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
Phoenix330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 540
My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Not possible. Here check out this thread. See the differential picture about mid way down.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ff+bushing+diy

The bracket that connects to the bushing is cast into the differential cover. To get the bushing out you need to pull the bushing out of it's bracket on the sub frame towards the passengers side of the car or towards the differential. You can't just unbolt it and pull it out from the drivers side. There is no room for the tool to do that.
__________________
Phoenix330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
Dazza335iC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 107
My Ride: '02 330Ci, '92 335iC
Can't the diff cover be removed in order to make room for the tool? Or is there something preventing it from being removed while the diff is still installed in the car?
Dazza335iC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #12
Phoenix330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 540
My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
I don't think you can get to the top bolts holding the cover on when it is still in the car, I'm sure someone on here thought of it or tried. I'll let you know if I find someone that tried that, I don't recall anyone doing it this way.

My car was over at the dealer for some other dealer related item and of course they shop the car and find other things. The original quote said they would have to remove the differential.
__________________
Phoenix330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #13
mr ilia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Golden Horseshoe
Posts: 298
My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza335iC View Post
Can't the diff cover be removed in order to make room for the tool? Or is there something preventing it from being removed while the diff is still installed in the car?
No, one of the diff cover bolts is blocked by a unibody of the car.
__________________
mr ilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #14
Tangent_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Jacinto, CA
Posts: 2,102
My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix330ci View Post
Agree......it took me a couple hours of removing the necessary parts and the differential, especially since you need to have someone put the tranny back and forth from park to neutral to spin the drive shaft to remove the differential bolts. I had the bushing in and out I think in ten minutes. I did this job over two days under the car without a lift. One day I took it all out and changed the bushings. Then quit. The next day installed it all back in. I think the dealer wanted something like $1,900 for the job. Between tool and parts, I think I was at $175-$200.

The tool for this job is really not that much, $125 and worth every penny, and no struggle. My dad was there and could not believe how little time that part took compared to all the other things you had to do.
Exactly the experience I had, except I rented the tool from a member on here for $40 instead of buying it. :p

And there really is no easier way to do this unfortunately. There's just not enough clearance between the body, the diff, and the subframe.
__________________
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/signaturepics/sigpic70081_4.gif
Tangent_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use