E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
J2 Sport Coilover Suspension

So I've been reading up on some inexpensive coilovers for the E46. Normally I really don't like the idea of a less expensive suspension system for any BMW. There are many reasons for this:
1) Bad Welds
2) Twin Tube Designs (not a fan)
3) Wrong Spring Rates Front and Rear
4) Shock/Struts With No Rebound-Compression Adjustability
5) And More.....

But after much more searching, I come across these:
CX Racing and J2 Sport Coilovers. What quickly got my attention are these two things, 1) Mono Tube Design, 2) 32 Way (Rebound and Compression) Externally Adjustable Shock/Struts. Now it's my Firm belief that the CX racing Coilovers and the J2 Sport Coilovers come out of the same factory, but are simply painted differently. After looking over the four different models offered by CX Racing I came to the conclusion that 3 out of 4 of them had a bad spring rate configuration. This "bad" configuration would be better suited to a Front Wheel Drive setup. But one of them had what I'd call an "acceptable" spring rate, this model CX R. had the same spring rate front and rear (447 lb/in).

I'm not quite happy with this spring rate problem, so I kept looking. And then I come across the J2 Sport Coilovers, they've got the right Front to Rear "Ratio", this is an important key to good handling. The J2 Sports have what I'd call an aggressive "Street/Track Day" spring rate. They come with parts that most Coilovers don't come with: Front Fully Adjustable Camber Plates. Price shipped to your front door, $719.98

If you purchased a name brand suspension system (Bilstein/Koni/H&R/KW/Ground Control, and so on, that came with these features: 1) Mono Tube, 2) 32 Way EXTERNALLY Adjustable At All Four Corners, and 3) Camber Plates; you'd have to start looking at about $1500-$2000 or more dollars to get that.

J2 Sports spring rate:
Front 8kg(447 lb/in) Rear 10KG(559lb/in)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350831667518

CX Racing Coilovers:
1) CO-BMW-E46-1008 - Bad Spring Rate, F (559lb/in) R (447lb/in)
2) CO-BMW-E46-1005 - Bad Spring Rate, F (559lb/in) R (279lb/in)
3) CO-BMW-E46-0808-PB - Acceptable Spring Rate, F (447lb/in) R (447 lb/in)
4) CO-BMW-E46-0805 - Bad Spring Rate, F (447lb/in) R (279lb/in)

BIMMERS FOR EVER !

Last edited by SK330ci; 12-22-2013 at 10:59 PM.
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Guinea-Pig Needed / Cheap Coilover Suspension

Ya, you pay for them, ship them to me, and I'll put them on my car and be your "guinea pig".

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
SK330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezy321 View Post
Ya, you pay for them, ship them to me,..........

Sounds good, I'll take care of all that for you,.......just send me your Paypal info.

BIMMERS FOR EVER !

Last edited by SK330ci; 07-01-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Red 90

My Ride: 325i
Keep in mind that not all shocks are built the same. Even with adjustable shock, you don't know what the shock profile looks like and whether or not it's suited for the setup. How the shock behaves in low speed and high, bump and rebound all play a role in how the car handles. Some of what you paying for from known companies is their ability to design the shock suited for the car and spring rates. The other part your paying for is the quality control and parts they use. More often than not you get what you pay for. I don't have any experience with this setup, so I can't say if it's any good.

Personally, I went with a Bilstein PSS system and after 8 years of use, the shocks are blown. I sent the kit back to bilstein for warrantee and they sent me an entirely new kit. Needless to say, I'm pretty glad I got the bilstein package.
Red 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
SK330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 90 View Post
Keep in mind that not all shocks are built the same. Even with adjustable shock, you don't know what the shock profile looks like and whether or not it's suited for the setup. How the shock behaves in low speed and high, bump and rebound all play a role in how the car handles. Some of what you paying for from known companies is their ability to design the shock suited for the car and spring rates. The other part your paying for is the quality control and parts they use. More often than not you get what you pay for. I don't have any experience with this setup, so I can't say if it's any good.

Personally, I went with a Bilstein PSS system and after 8 years of use, the shocks are blown. I sent the kit back to bilstein for warrantee and they sent me an entirely new kit. Needless to say, I'm pretty glad I got the bilstein package.

Agreed.

But with the 32 way adjustable mono tube shocks, the car owner will be able to "dial" these in. Plus after some Google searching, I'm finding some very favorable reviews on these J2 Sports. Definitely worth considering.

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
Old 07-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #6
drumsauce

My Ride: 2000 323it
But you need to know how far that "32 way adjustable" range is. If it is a small range, it will not give you the flexibility you need to achieve what you want. Go with names that have pedegree: koni, bilstein, etc... Unless you just want droppage, then any coilover will do.
drumsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK330ci View Post
So I've been reading up on some inexpensive coilovers for the E46. Normally I really don't like the idea of a less expensive suspension system for any BMW. There are many reasons for this:
1) Bad Welds
2) Twin Tube Designs (not a fan)
3) Wrong Spring Rates Front and Rear
4) Shock/Struts With No Rebound-Compression Adjustability
5) And More.....

But after much more searching, I come across these:
CX Racing and J2 Sport Coilovers. What quickly got my attention are these two things, 1) Mono Tube Design, 2) 32 Way (Rebound and Compression) Externally Adjustable Shock/Struts. Now it's my Firm belief that the CX racing Coilovers and the J2 Sport Coilovers come out of the same factory, but are simply painted differently. After looking over the four different models offered by CX Racing I came to the conclusion that 3 out of 4 of them had a bad spring rate configuration. This "bad" configuration would be better suited to a Front Wheel Drive setup. But one of them had what I'd call an "acceptable" spring rate, this model CX R. had the same spring rate front and rear (447 lb/in).

I'm not quite happy with this spring rate problem, so I keep looking. And then I come across the J2 Sport Coilovers, they've got the right Front to Rear "Ratio", this is an important key to good handling. The J2 Sports have what I'd call an aggressive "Street/Track Day" spring rate. They come with parts that most Coilovers don't come with: Front Fully Adjustable Camber Plates. Price shipped to your front door, $789.98

If you purchased a name brand suspension system (Bilstein/Koni/H&R/KW/Ground Control, and so on, that came with these features: 1) Mono Tube, 2) 32 Way EXTERNALLY Adjustable At All Four Corners, and 3) Camber Plates; you'd have to start looking at about $1500-$2000 or more dollars to get that.

J2 Sports spring rate:
Front 8kg(447 lb/in) Rear 10KG(559lb/in)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/J2-SPORT-STR...8376%26ps%3D54

CX Racing Coilovers:
1) CO-BMW-E46-1008 - Bad Spring Rate, F (559lb/in) R (447lb/in)
2) CO-BMW-E46-1005 - Bad Spring Rate, F (559lb/in) R (279lb/in)
3) CO-BMW-E46-0808-PB - Acceptable Spring Rate, F (447lb/in) R (447 lb/in)
4) CO-BMW-E46-0805 - Bad Spring Rate, F (447lb/in) R (279lb/in)
I'm liking the possibility of these J2 Sport Coilovers. Certainly there's nothing on the market at $789 shipped that will do what these coilovers offer.

Question, do you have any idea what type on dampening these mono tubes use ? Low pressure gas, high pressure gas, or hydraulic fluid; which one ?

BTW, good wright up.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
love2drive330CI

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Great write up!!
Subscribed....I am way overdue on suspension...so I am shopping the market.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #9
Americano

My Ride: '03 330 CI CLUBSPORT
Hey guys sorry for digging this thread out of the ground but did anyone actually buy these and try them out? I have a 330 ci that is in desperate need of some new shocks and I am considering them...
Americano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
love2drive330CI

Americano---I am still in need too. Haven't seen any other reviews on these and I will need something that can withstand the salt up north too now...so I have the funds...need the coilovers. Good Luck.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
SK330ci

I just Edited the thread, New price on these are $719 Shipped.

To answer a question, High Pressure Gas; just like Bilstein.

BIMMERS FOR EVER !

Last edited by SK330ci; 12-22-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
love2drive330CI

Rob43 and other suspension gurus....thoughts on these coilovers? I finally have cash to get suspension refreshed. I do want to make it back to autox so was reading where adjusting dampening would come into play. I have $1500 was thinking more notable coilovers in that price range or set up like I read rob43 has but also need to get fcab guibo etc.. so thinking if I can get good/decent setup for around $700 leaves dollars for other parts. Thoughts please???
Old 02-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #13
Bahaa425

My Ride: 328
sorry for bumping an old thread, but i came across these coilovers as well and called the company that sells them. according to the customer service person on the phone, they are quality tested before being sent out by law. the company is based in California but the products (like most companies now a days) are build in china. They claim to have done there reaserch with explains why the springs rates are actually setup properly vs. companies like rokker, function and form, even bc racing. they have come with a 1 year limited time warranty which if something goes wrong within 60 days, you get a full refund, or if say 360 days go buy and something breaks then they will send you a brand new set. So maybe worth atleast trying. I was also told that the company is fairly new, started roughly 5 years ago.
Bahaa425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #14
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahaa425 View Post
sorry for bumping an old thread, but i came across these coilovers as well and called the company that sells them. according to the customer service person on the phone, they are quality tested before being sent out by law. the company is based in California but the products (like most companies now a days) are build in china. They claim to have done there reaserch with explains why the springs rates are actually setup properly vs. companies like rokker, function and form, even bc racing. they have come with a 1 year limited time warranty which if something goes wrong within 60 days, you get a full refund, or if say 360 days go buy and something breaks then they will send you a brand new set. So maybe worth atleast trying. I was also told that the company is fairly new, started roughly 5 years ago.
One year isn't very long for a warranty.
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #15
love2drive330CI

Bahaa425,

I did not purchase a set of these as life gave me all sorts of twist and turns the past year+.

I do have the cash now to finally refresh my overdue suspension. Rob43 was looking to analyze the J2's. Unfortunately I don't know if he has had the opportunity to do so.

I know the consensus is to save up the coin to get a "good quality" set of coilovers. For the money from what I have only read the Street Edge coilovers was the route I was going to take; however, I want to autocross again soon so that took them out of the picture.

I am sooo tempted to try these its just that I have no real suspension experience/knowledge to pull the trigger. I have read old old threads were different coilovers came on the scene and now are common "good quality" coilovers which of course means the prices have gone up.

For the price range I thought of Bilstein sport w/H&R springs...or something else in the $800 price range???

The one question was how effective is the dampening 32 way...small range or acceptable range...I don't know...been reading to learn. Hopefully others will chime in.
I am still very curious about these...have you found any BMW reviews on them or other forum reviews from enthusiast of other vehicles??
Old 02-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #16
love2drive330CI

I agree Kris about the 1 year.

I was hooked on your coilovers as they provided me low cost, reputable, a drop that I wanted, and suspension refresh combined. I want to get back into autox and that is steering me away from your street edge; otherwise I would purchase from you today. That and from what I have been reading about adjustable dampening. I am new to suspension so I am learning what I can from reading. I am the type of person that "will" make adjustments after install so that is why I am holding off on pulling the trigger.

I am still learning and open minded to learn from everyone's insight.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #17
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2drive330CI View Post
I agree Kris about the 1 year.

I was hooked on your coilovers as they provided me low cost, reputable, a drop that I wanted, and suspension refresh combined. I want to get back into autox and that is steering me away from your street edge; otherwise I would purchase from you today. That and from what I have been reading about adjustable dampening. I am new to suspension so I am learning what I can from reading. I am the type of person that "will" make adjustments after install so that is why I am holding off on pulling the trigger.

I am still learning and open minded to learn from everyone's insight.
Street Edge is great for daily drivers. I don't think it would give you the extra kick you need if you plan on autocrossing. I know it is a bit more in price but have you seen the new ST XTA COILOVERS? They are like KW V2s but with a TOP MOUNT!!!
1-888-230-1288
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #18
Bahaa425

My Ride: 328
I know suspensions on the e36 and the e46 are similar, I currently am running bilstein sport hr race and like the idea, but want more spring rate and adjustability which is why I was looking into these, they seem to be well put together, and like I said I talked to the customer service and they seemed pretty knowledgeable. What is the rates of the streetedge system? Proper BMW with rates higher in the rear? Also what's the warranty on them?

Bahaa425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #19
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

Street Edge for non m model E46

Spring Rate:
Front 345
Rear Progressive
1-888-230-1288