E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
Kosinar

My Ride: 2012 335is Convert
Glove compartment lock question

I bought very nice 2004 330CI with only 24,000 miles for my wife. Car looks like new. She is very happy with the car but there is an annoying thing with glovebox compartment lock. Lock stays locked even when car is unlocked. I can unlock it with the key but I can't pull the key out of the lock unless I lock it again. Is there a switch or something I can change to keep it stay unlocked?

Thanks
Kosinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
I think I had read somewhere that you always require the key to unlock & open. Not 100% on that. I will try mine later tonight and tell you if it works differently. I think it has to do with convertibles for keeping your valuables safe.

Nice find on the low mileage car. Some pics of the car would be nice way to introduce yourself.
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
Kosinar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho@home View Post
I think I had read somewhere that you always require the key to unlock & open. Not 100% on that. I will try mine later tonight and tell you if it works differently. I think it has to do with convertibles for keeping your valuables safe.

Nice find on the low mileage car. Some pics of the car would be nice way to introduce yourself.
I would appreciate if you do. I hope there is a way to change it.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
There are many threads on here about this. The lock has three positions, and I can't remember what does what. There is also a micro switch which disables the trunk latch when the lock is in "valet" mode.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...sh317+glovebox

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.

Last edited by wildirish317; 01-31-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added links
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Poncho@home

I justed tested and I was wrong.

With the key slot vertical, I was able to open the glovebox without the key inserted as long all the doors were unlocked.

Locking the car then would lock the glovebox, even in the vertical position.

In the horizental position the glove box is locked irregardless of the door locks.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
Kosinar

Thank you. I will try it as soon wife get home with the car. I am impressed that you were able to find so many threads on the subject. I searched for glovebox lock issues but found none.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
I had some issues myself. I'm in all the threads I posted.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
hisport

My Ride: 01 M3 Vert
Koz

If your glove box still won't open without key, even after confirming that the vehicle is unlocked:

- Open g'box and tighten the two screws holding the latch halves together

(If they're loose, the latch pawls will not clear the catch)

- If still won't open w/o key, remove the two screws and examine pin on back of tumbler (broken or not in groove?)

In my case, the little motor driven leadscrew in the inner latch half was broken and jammed. I removed and reassembled and g'box now works as in coupe. This leadscrew failure had also made my trunk release inoperable (there's a signaling microswitch in the glovebox latch which locks the trunk when the vert top is down and the car is locked

The latch itself is a true microcosm of the German Engineering Ethic: "Why use one part when seventeen will do?"

Replacement convert latch is stupid expensive. I won't replace mine unless I fall in love with this project car

PS read your owners manual on the bizarre convert glovebox switch logic
hisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Kosinar

I tried it but it does not stay unlocked. I will take it apart and see if I can fix it. Thank you for your help.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
Kosinar

I is fixed. Screws were loose. It is working after I tightened them. Thank you again for your help. This forum is a great resource thanks to all of you willing to help.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
Poncho@home

Yeah, mine didn't work 100% when I first bought car, screws were loose as well.

Glad to hear you worked it out
Old 02-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #12
jimvideopro

My Ride: 2006 330CiC
Yes, that glovebox is a PITA. It locks and unlocks every time you lock/unlock the car, and since the mechanism is so sensitive, after a while the glovebox would no longer unlock.

I got sick of it and took apart the latch and disconnected the wire harness, so my box is unlocked all the time unless manually lock it. I don't keep anything in the glovebox worth stealing so problem solved. I did confirm that when I locked the car the trunk button was still disabled, preventing access to the trunk when the car is locked and the top is down.

Never use one part when 17 will do - that cracks me up....

Old 04-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #13
RelaxIN

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
At this point in time, I'm soooooo aggravated with this glove box but I wont be defeated just yet... give me another hour and I'm sure I"ll be HAPPY to Tap-Out..! So, here's where I'm at.. The box would not open without a key, even in the vertical position. I disassembled the latch and determined (the inside Latch part), was binding too much. I ordered/installed the new latch yesterday... and now everything opens and closes the way it should... HOWEVER... when I hit the "all lock" button, the doors lock fine, but the glove box can still be opened... Thoughts...? Idea's...etc.. its not a very big deal, but I feel like I'm 98% there, at least I can get the thing opened and closed now.. I'm going to keep search the threads, but wanted to get everyones thoughts... Thanks Guys...and Happy Easter to all..!!
RelaxIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #14
jimvideopro

My Ride: 2006 330CiC
Is the key in the right position? Read your manual and IIRC there are several ways the lock can operate depending on how you configure with key position. As I said in a posting above, I just gave up and disconnected the harness so my latch is now completely manual.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #15
RelaxIN

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Okay... I found out what the issue was... and like usual, it wasn't me...!! Here's what happened...this maybe useful for someone else that "thinks" they have a problem.

As I mentioned, AFTER I replaced the Glove Box latch... I had the key in the vertical position, shutting all the doors, I reached in and hit the ALL LOCK button on the console.... I tried the glove box and it would still open... then I got smart and reached in the other side and tried the trunk release... and it TOO opened. Puzzled by the issue I walked away from the car and took a break... Thinking the odds of having an issue with both the glove box and the trunk was very high.. what was the common denominator... The ALL LOCK button..!! So I took the all lock button out of the equation and tried locking the car with the Key Fob as if I was leaving it in the parking lot. Sure enough, it worked... the trunk & glove box both locked as they should. So, it was just a matter of understanding and isolating the sequence of how the system works... But all is good...

Hopefully, this will help others...
RelaxIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #16
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Makes sense. If you're locking from inside the car with the "all-lock" button, you still might want access to those things. If you're locking from "outside" the car with a remote, the assumption w/b you're leaving the car and want everything locked. Thanks for posting that clarification.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote