E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Koni Fsd/Eibach Pro Kit

I installed this complete kit a few months back, and after I installed it I loved it. The problem is, is that the front end clunks when going over a bump and it feels loose, as if it's all over the road. I do get slight/barely noticeable tramlining, and it pulls slightly to the right. I took the car to get aligned by a reputable well known shop who ended up cutting the pin off the strut to align the car-- it handled slightly better after the alignment, but after a week it felt worse. The steering wheel isn't aligned and it feels even more unstable at high speeds. The car has new meyle hd control arms, meyle hd lcab's, 712 rack along with new inner/outer tierods, new wheels "not bent" with potenza 760 sport tires, koni fsd/eibach pro kit, meyle strut mounts, and much more has been done to the car. During the first 4 months of ownership an endlink popped off and I had to replace both with a random set of advance auto parts endlinks due to it needing to be replaced as an emergency. Is it possible the sway bar bent in the process? I've been meaning to buy a complete hotchkis/h&r/eibach sway bar kit and replace everything to see of that fixes everything, but haven't gotten to it as I'm saving to buy it. I've already spent 8k in maintenance, so I do take care of the car. I've read some threads from a few fanatics who've installed the same suspension and have had the same issue, who said preload on the sway bars were the issue. The fix would be to loosen everything "the sway bar end links and bushings", and reinstall. Will this fix it? also if you don't have anything good to say don't comment. Keep your sarcastic, arrogant, smart ass, disgusting attitude to yourself if you're not gonna' help. Keep out cavi mike.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by always-there; 01-26-2014 at 04:26 PM.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
I noticed in a recent post that someone had a problem when the end links were installed with only one side jacked up at time and they had to re-install with both wheels off the ground at the same time. When you find the problem, let us know.
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:02 AM   #3
always-there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'd out View Post
I noticed in a recent post that someone had a problem when the end links were installed with only one side jacked up at time and they had to re-install with both wheels off the ground at the same time. When you find the problem, let us know.
Thanks. Yea I was reading about preloaded swaybars and the symptoms. I didn't know this would affect it but tomorrow first thing I'll be fixing this issue. I'll report back.

Last edited by always-there; 01-31-2014 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
LittleBear

My Ride: 2001 330i
There are many things that could be loose. All should be checked, but sway bar links will give more of a rattle, and not deteriorate the handling too much.
It's only a guess, but maybe the top strut bolt where it goes through the mount?

Murf
Old 01-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
always-there

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
There are many things that could be loose. All should be checked, but sway bar links will give more of a rattle, and not deteriorate the handling too much.
It's only a guess, but maybe the top strut bolt where it goes through the mount?

Murf
I feel as if I'm loosing control at higher speeds. You're saying preloaded sways shouldn't cause that or? I know I need adjustable end links to zero out the pre-load, but I need a temporary fix or so I think. I've read mixed reviews about preloaded sway bars; some say you can use the stock end links, that you only use adjustable end links if you're tracking the car and cornering hard. Is this true? My steering wheel is crooked after an alignment at a reputable shop, which I'm obviously questioning, so I'm going back tomorrow as they offer a 6 month warranty which I'm still under. I'm just wanting to know if not tightening the endlinks at zero preload is causing this loss of control at higher speeds. Sorry if I'm not explaining myself correctly.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
always-there

I know this doesn't say much but anyone noticed it says " factory to 19" ...maybe they put the wrong tire size or some wrong setting within their alignment machine?? Also, I know they align to factory settings but I'm lowered, aren't they supposed to tailor the aligbment to that?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1391207787107.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	544915  
Old 02-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
drumsauce

My Ride: 2000 323it
I have the exact same set up and the alignment shop I used was able to get the alignment all the way back within stock specs. I'd have them do it over and specifically ask for stock BMW alignment...or try another shop.

Sorry for your troubles, man. I love my set up, hope you can enjoy your's soon.
drumsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
drumsauce

Wait, was that $40 for the alignment? That is less than half of my indy shop! Either they cut you a deal...OR are using less than optimum equipment. Consider a BMW indy shop, or take it into the dealer do have it done right.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
always-there

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsauce View Post
Wait, was that $40 for the alignment? That is less than half of my indy shop! Either they cut you a deal...OR are using less than optimum equipment. Consider a BMW indy shop, or take it into the dealer do have it done right.
$60

Old 02-02-2014, 10:51 PM   #10
zabalzae

My Ride: 01 330ci
Clunk idk. Steering wheel wonder might be bc of the steering coupling
zabalzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #11
always-there

Sorry for the wrong angle. I went to the shop where I had my alignment done and requested a copy of specs. It feels more stable...but there's still tramlining.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1391554360241.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	545414  
Old 02-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #12
always-there

First one was blurry..

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1391554476764.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	545415  
Old 02-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #13
always-there

So I'm thinking camber plates and adjustable rear control arms will help? Sighs

Old 02-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #14
drumsauce

Hmm...the alignment spec sheet you posed only shows the "actual" and not the "before."

The shop I use has the same sheet, and they got all of my specs within normal range. I'd look at everything to make sure was installed correctly and then look for worn or broken pieces. You replaced a lot of things...so there is a good chance something may have not been installed all the way or correctly. There should be no reason to get camber adjustments for this minimal of a drop.

Sorry bro. Maybe go through everything one more time? I know how frustrating it is when you spend time and money and things are worse than when you started. Story of my life.

Keep us posted!

Last edited by drumsauce; 02-08-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #15
always-there

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsauce View Post
Hmm...the alignment spec sheet you posed only shows the "actual" and not the "before."

The shop I use has the same sheet, and they got all of my specs within normal range. I'd look at everything to make sure was installed correctly and then look for worn or broken pieces. You replaced a lot of things...so there is a good chance something may have not been installed all the way or correctly. There should be no reason to get camber adjustments for this minimal of a drop.

Sorry bro. Maybe go through everything one more time? I know how frustrating it is when you spend time and money and things are worse than when you started. Story of my life.

Keep us posted!
Thanks. What suspension are you on?

Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 AM   #16
drumsauce

eibach/FSD on a touring. This is why I chimed in. I had no problems with alignment.