E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Young Cardiac

My Ride: 330ci
Advice needed: 2004 330ci zhp convertible

Looking to get some advice for fellow E46ers.

I've been looking to get a zhp for a while now and I came across the following:

2004 330ci ZHP
Convertible
Automatic
218k km (135k miles)
Comes with an extra set of winters

He's willing to let it go for $7500. What do you guys think of the deal? Are there any serious concerns with this model in specific?

Thanks!

Last edited by Young Cardiac; 12-10-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Young Cardiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
TArse

My Ride: 03 330xi, 87 325is

Did they make the zhp vert?

Did they make autos?

Sent from an iToaster.
TArse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Young Cardiac

Yeah from the research I've done it seems like they did. I've seen numerous people selling them.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
MiamiVice ZHP

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP Vert

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1386698437.964623.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	538094
Does it look like this?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MiamiVice ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Young Cardiac

Yes it looks exactly like that except it has a black interior.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
$7500? Better check Carfax and have a PPI. Great price for an 04 vert, expecially ZHP.

No specific problems for this model year, in fact is a good year with many upgrades between 03 and 04. Yes they came in vets and automatic.

Check Autotrader and look for BMW convertibles between 04 and 06 and you will find several ZHP but not listed as such. Seems many of the dealers may not know or appreciate the difference. You can tell the difference between the regular 330 and the Zhp typically by the rear diffuser and the wheels, the perforated leather on the steering wheel (unless alcantara) and silver cube trim. Good luck!
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Young Cardiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'd out View Post
$7500? Better check Carfax and have a PPI. Great price for an 04 vert, expecially ZHP.

No specific problems for this model year, in fact is a good year with many upgrades between 03 and 04. Yes they came in vets and automatic.

Check Autotrader and look for BMW convertibles between 04 and 06 and you will find several ZHP but not listed as such. Seems many of the dealers may not know or appreciate the difference. You can tell the difference between the regular 330 and the Zhp typically by the rear diffuser and the wheels, the perforated leather on the steering wheel (unless alcantara) and silver cube trim. Good luck!
Yeah I'll go see it this weekend and if I like it will proceed by taking it to a mechanic for PPI.

What can I look out for when I go look at the car? Vanos rattle? What else?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Max'd out

Just so I'm clear, that is 7500 American dollars? If so, I'm suprised it's still available.

Otherwise, make sure the top goes up and down well and the windows work without problems. Take a good flashlight with you and look at the engine for signs of oil leakage (after you test drive it). Check all tail lights because sometimes the wiring loom at the trunk may have been damaged.

If the suspension is orginal you will need to replace it soon. You can check the shocks from below, originals will be Sachs and have a date on them. Most things should be checked by the PPI. Hope it works out well for you.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
Young Cardiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'd out View Post
Just so I'm clear, that is 7500 American dollars? If so, I'm suprised it's still available.

Otherwise, make sure the top goes up and down well and the windows work without problems. Take a good flashlight with you and look at the engine for signs of oil leakage (after you test drive it). Check all tail lights because sometimes the wiring loom at the trunk may have been damaged.

If the suspension is orginal you will need to replace it soon. You can check the shocks from below, originals will be Sachs and have a date on them. Most things should be checked by the PPI. Hope it works out well for you.
Yeah its actually $7500 CAD. Even better haha...

I hope the automatic transmission doesn't give me problems in the future. I'm only going to be driving around 10k per year so I think I should be good for the next couple of years.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
That's a very very good price....no, it's a steal. Have a PPI done. And yes, I have a STEP ZHP vert so they do make 'em.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Same here............and mine also came with the trunk spoiler straight from the factory which in some forums people say that is not true or they didn't make them or they did but some cars didn't get them because of a shortage or something, but I assure you mine came that way.

Also when I bought mine from the dealer, they had it under priced from what I was looking at and I'm assuming they didn't know what it really was???? Once I say it I jumped on it.

Yeah only problems, the standard cooling things and gaskets that leak like all in this year range (even non verts) and the top has a wire that seems to break over time. I have the LEDs tails and one of mine the brake light doesn't work but the rest of the light is fine.....I'm not really actively looking into this. Could be a broken wire or bad tail but I want to eliminate the light totally before I check the harness,
Old 12-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Cardiac View Post
Looking to get some advice for fellow E46ers.

I've been looking to get a zhp for a while now and I came across the following:

2004 330ci ZHP
Convertible
Automatic
218k km (135k miles)
Comes with an extra set of winters

He's willing to let it go for $7500. What do you guys think of the deal? Are there any serious concerns with this model in specific?

Thanks!
Had to Chime in I would recommend a Per Purchase Inspection on the vehicle and a compression and leakdown test just to make sure you did not buy a lemon.
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:04 AM   #13
Antti

My Ride: E46 325i + E85 2.5i
Hi
Yep, +1 here ZHP (Euro M-Sport II) 330 convertible with steptronic:

You should be careful when purchasing high mileage E46 convertible. Read buyers guide and be ready to spend money for maintenance. These are complicated cars with lot of expensive to fix.
M54 engine is tough and will take lot of mileage if serviced correctly. There should be receipts included in the service history and seller should able to tell what have been done.

Last edited by Antti; 01-07-2014 at 03:06 AM.
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #14
orange260z

My Ride: '05 330i MSport vert
Hey there.

Be aware that in Canada you could get both an M Performance Package (aka ZHP) and an M Sport Package. The latter has all the cosmetic and chassis upgrades of the ZHP, but not the engine upgrades - so it doesn't have the hotter cam, reprogrammed ECU nor the ZHP muffler; rather it has the standard 330 motor and exhaust (which I believe is already a performance exhaust, just not the same as the ZHP).

I believe the steering wheel may be a key visual differentiator - they have the same wheel, but M Sport has smooth leather while the ZHP has perforated leather or alcantara. The exhaust tips (single wall in the ZHP, double wall with an internal flap in the M Sport) are another visual cue. I'd suggest you take the VIN and plug it into a decoder to see what package is on it.

That said, I'm not sure you miss a lot without the engine upgrades - to me the value in the ZHP is the chassis upgrades, along with some of the visual cues. The engine upgrades are quite tiny by comparison, IMHO. But I'm biased

In the Porsche world, we say that there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche - you either pay now, or you pay later. I would always suggest finding the nicest, lowest mileage car you can afford. OTOH, if this one checks out well it could be an excellent deal!

2005 BMW 330Ci M Sport Cabriolet
1970 Porsche 911 T/RS-spec
orange260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
orange260z

My Ride: '05 330i MSport vert
[QUOTE=Antti;15927834]Hi

Beautiful car, Antti! Looking at your build sheet in the showroom, I believe your Euro M-Sport is exactly the same as our Canadian M-Sport - it has the code S338A which gives you the chassis upgrades, but doesn't have the code (I forget what the number is) for the Performance Package motor upgrades.

I note that your visual cues are the same as ours, too - smooth steering wheel and double wall exhaust tips.

Our cars are optioned almost identically, except you have Nav!

2005 BMW 330Ci M Sport Cabriolet
1970 Porsche 911 T/RS-spec
orange260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #16
Max'd out

OP, did you get the car and what did the inspection reveal? We're hoping you scored a good one!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #17
Bird-Dog

My Ride: 2004 330Cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange260z View Post
Euro M-Sport is exactly the same as our Canadian M-Sport - it has the code S338A which gives you the chassis upgrades, but doesn't have the code (I forget what the number is) for the Performance Package motor upgrades.
S767A - In other words, M-Sports are not ZHP's.
Bird-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #18
Tenaciousduck

My Ride: 2004 330CI ZHP
As Bird-Dog said, M-Sports are not ZHP's. The Performance package indicates that it is.

OP - Look in the exhaust tips. If there is a flange in the right tip, it is NOT a ZHP. If there is no flange, then it most likely is. The tips for the Performance ones were also slightly skinnier/not thick and rolled as the M-Sports were. The flange is the giveaway for (Canadian) ZHP or not.
http://www.rx8club.com/itrader.php?u=67111
Tenaciousduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:38 AM   #19
Antti

My Ride: E46 325i + E85 2.5i
[QUOTE=orange260z;15937716]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antti View Post
Hi

Beautiful car, Antti! Looking at your build sheet in the showroom, I believe your Euro M-Sport is exactly the same as our Canadian M-Sport - it has the code S338A which gives you the chassis upgrades, but doesn't have the code (I forget what the number is) for the Performance Package motor upgrades.

I note that your visual cues are the same as ours, too - smooth steering wheel and double wall exhaust tips.

Our cars are optioned almost identically, except you have Nav!
Thanks !
There is some differences between usa, canada and euromodels i think.
All euro 330ci have normal 231hp engines, not any power upgrades. ZHP is only sold in usa i think?
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #20
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
[QUOTE=Antti;15985580]
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange260z View Post

Thanks !
There is some differences between usa, canada and euromodels i think.
All euro 330ci have normal 231hp engines, not any power upgrades. ZHP is only sold in usa i think?
Correct.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote