E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
The Family Values Tour

LOLRepublicans.

Quote:
Montana ‘Family Values’ Republican Senator Arrested After Assaulting Wife, Cops

Author: Randa Morris February 5, 2014 12:42 am

Jason Priest, a republican state senator, was arrested on charges of domestic assault and resisting arrest, and it isn’t the first scandal for this GOP rep.

Jason Priest, a ‘pro-marriage’, ‘family values’ republican state senator from Montana was arrested on February 1, 2014. The charges included domestic assault and resisting arrest. According to KTVQ.com, out of Billings, Montana, the Senator is accused of using force against his wife, as well as fighting with a police officer.

Priest used physical force against his wife and fought with the arresting officer.

The police were called to Priest’s family home at around 8 pm, on Saturday night. The arresting officer’s complaint states that he identified himself as a police officer several times, but Priest continued to fight him. The original citation said that Priest also pushed his daughter to the floor. A Red Lodge, Montana City Attorney later asked that the reference to his daughter be struck from the complaint.

Priest represents Montana’s District 9, which includes his home town of Red Lodge. He is a member of the NRA and supports the ‘pro-life’ agenda. He also claims to be a defender of ‘traditional marriage.’

This is not Priest’s first public scandal.

In 2013, Priest was called out by the public for offensive remarks which he made on another person’s Facebook page, during a debate about economics.

“Since Keynes was a big h0m0 if he’s fondling your balls it probably means you’re getting a reach around which is way better than what Obama is giving America. We are all getting the dry thumb.”

Michael J. Morse Facebook post and Priest's offensive comment.

Priest’s reference was to John Maynard Keynes, an influential economist who countered many of the economic theories that the republican party swears by. He was forced to make a public apology for the sexually explicit, anti-gay remarks.

Priest controls a dark money group that refuses to disclose its donors.

As the founder of a 501c4 political lobbying organization known as the Montana Growth Network, Priest was deeply entrenched in a dark money scandal that involved the election of a tea party judge to the state’s Supreme Court. Priest refused to disclose the names of the contributors to Montana Growth Network, a ‘social welfare, nonprofit,’ which is not required by law to disclose the sources of funding.

Not surprisingly, Priest is a former CEO. He is also currently listed as an executive officer at two separate venture capital firms. Par for the course, Priest’s definition of family values appears to include all the typical values espoused by the GOP, like violence, dishonesty, lack of integrity, greed and bigotry.

The Montana Senate President plans to ask Priest to ‘step back from his legislative duties.’

Priest denies the charges against him and entered a plea of not guilty in Red Lodge City Court, on Monday February 3. He is up for reelection in 2014. However, Senate President Jeff Essmann stated that he plans to ask Priest to: “step back from his legislative duties and discuss his continued participation in the business of the Montana Senate from the perspective of what is in the best interests of his family, himself and his constituents.”

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
What happened to sane, logical, honest folks like myself holding political positions?

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
What happened to sane, logical, honest folks like myself holding political positions?
Good question.

You should run for office.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
System of a down was great on the family values tour.

Why won't you give links? Holy crap could that article be more libtard editorialized? Lol

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

Last edited by Act of God; 02-05-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
Gatriel
Grüß Di'

My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
I once heard a joke, which I think applies here.

Politician in contemporary finds its roots in latin. Poli, meaning many, and tic, meaning blood sucking creature.

So unless you suck blood its unlikely you'll find a place within the Beltway.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
Lair
Modded ///Member

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...ted&fr2=sb-top

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Good question.

You should run for office.
I'm sure myself, MD, evolved, Swish, and Novabimmer would get shunned for being normal. I don't care for drama...something I see often in today's politics. People like their politics like they like their reality TV shows.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
Act of God

why can't you just post the link you quoted like all the normal people? What are you hiding geritol?

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Old 02-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
why can't you just post the link you quoted like all the normal people? What are you hiding geritol?
I got a SECRET.

Quote:
Congratulations.

Last edited by Lair; 02-05-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #10
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
I'm sure myself, MD, evolved, Swish, and Novabimmer would get shunned for being normal. I don't care for drama...something I see often in today's politics. People like their politics like they like their reality TV shows.
I've considered running for office. I need to find out when my local House rep is retiring.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #11
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #12
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
I forgot to list you too.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 02-06-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
When do you think that was the case? Lol

FWIW, anytime someone says "family values", they mean their family, and no one else's.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #14
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
When do you think that was the case? Lol

FWIW, anytime someone says "family values", they mean their family, and no one else's.
Family values means nothing to me as far as politics go, it's almost like a checklist talking point that people feel the need to make. Government should have no role regarding anything resembling family values.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #15
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Family values means nothing to me as far as politics go, it's almost like a checklist talking point that people feel the need to make. Government should have no role regarding anything resembling family values.
do you think wife beaters with sound economic policies are good candidates?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #16
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
do you think wife beaters with sound economic policies are good candidates?
Personally, no, but it really has no relevance to the job they are elected to do. Would you prefer a clueless boy scout? I don't elect people to be role models, or even good people. I elect them to do a job in a way that I see as proper. Trust me, there plenty scumbag lawyers you wouldn't hesitate to employ if your freedom was on the line in a criminal case.

I have no idea who this guy is, or what the strength of the accusations are. Last time I checked, George Zimmerman "pointed' a gun at someone...only to have that accusation rescinded shortly thereafter.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #17
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Personally, no, but it really has no relevance to the job they are elected to do. Would you prefer a clueless boy scout? I don't elect people to be role models, or even good people. I elect them to do a job in a way that I see as proper. Trust me, there plenty scumbag lawyers you wouldn't hesitate to employ if your freedom was on the line in a criminal case.

I have no idea who this guy is, or what the strength of the accusations are. Last time I checked, George Zimmerman "pointed' a gun at someone...only to have that accusation rescinded shortly thereafter.
so what criminal activities make someone unelectable, in your opinion? I would say that being the perpetrator of domestic violence has a huge impact on someone's ability to be a legislator. He's obviously got anger issues, power/control issues, respect issues, judgement issues, and criminal problems. Not sure how this wouldn't impact the performance of an elected official.

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 02-06-2014 at 02:07 PM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #18
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
so what criminal activities make someone unelectable, in your opinion? I would say that being the perpetrator of domestic violence has a huge impact on someone's ability to be a legislator. He's obviously got anger issues, power/control issues, respect issues, judgement issues, and criminal problems. Not sure how this wouldn't impact the performance of an elected official.
Domestic issues are usually a he said/she said matter. The women's side of the story is given ultimate credibility from the get-go as a rule. I don't know if you've heard, but some chick said that a bunch of lacrosse players raped her and they all had to leave school and uproot their lives even though there was no evidence that anything bad happened. Another girl said she was raped and stuffed in a garbage bad and my teacher's husband got publicly raked through the coals and never truly regained his life and career. Accusations don't mean jack, and we need to start treating them like accusations...not convictions.

When it comes to an elected official I am more concerned with crimes of dishonesty. A wife beater offends me, so at the end of the day I likely wouldn't vote for a convicted one. Logically, though, it should have no bearing on the person's performance at this specific job. This guy sounds like a d-bag anyway, so I wouldn't have been voting for him to begin with.

Honestly, I'm sure a good amount of politicians have "anger issues, power/control issues, respect issues, judgement issues, and criminal problems." Ted Kennedy killed someone and no one seemed to care. Bill Clinton had ridiculous respect and judgment issues. Rahm Emmanuel has well-documented anger and power/control issues and he's electable. I'm not singling out democrats on purpose, they are just the ones that are coming to mind as I am trying to go through your list.

Last edited by Act of God; 02-06-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #19
NOVAbimmer

when I use the term "wife beater", it refers to someone who does, in fact, beat their wife/domestic partner. Did you vote for Ted Kennedy after he killed that girl?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #20
Lair
Modded ///Member

Cryptic. What did this republican do?

Quote:
Rep. Michael Grimm in custody, officials say

By Evan Perez and Shimon Prokupecz, CNN

updated 8:37 AM EDT, Mon April 28, 2014

(CNN) -- U.S. Rep. Michael Grimm, R-New York, was taken into federal custody following a two-year FBI probe over contributions to his campaign, law enforcement officials said Monday.

Charges against Grimm weren't immediately announced. His lawyer and U.S. officials briefed on the matter said previously that prosecutors were preparing charges, capping a two-year FBI investigation that ranges from his business dealings to his first campaign for Congress in 2010.

In recent months, public attention has focused on the 44-year-old House member's campaign donations after a friend and donor was charged with funneling illegal contributions to Grimm's campaign four years ago.

The former FBI agent and two-term Republican lawmaker from New York made headlines when he was shown on camera threatening to throw a reporter over a Capitol Hill balcony after an interview following the State of the Union address in January.

A former Marine, Grimm represents Staten Island and parts of Brooklyn.

An attorney for Grimm, William McGinley, said in a statement to CNN that the "U.S. Attorney's Office has disclosed its intent to file criminal charges" against the congressman, and that Grimm "asserts his innocence of any wrongdoing."
aog-approved: http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/28/politi...imm/index.html

Quote:
Congratulations.