E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
pppham

My Ride: 740il S500 330CiC
GM replacement

Hope everyone is doing Ok. Once again, I need help from all of the great mind out there. My current 2001 330CiC key fob is not working (manual is working and have try to reprogram) and interior light is not working. I found another used GM came from another 2001 330Cic for $80. The question is if I swap the GM out do I need to bring to the Stealer for coding?

Regards,
pppham is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
AFAIK the module itself doesn't need to be "coded" to work in your vehicle, yet it may be "coded" with different options than your vehicle has - thus certain features may not work, and other features may behave differently.

For $100 you could have had your GM repaired.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
pppham

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
AFAIK the module itself doesn't need to be "coded" to work in your vehicle, yet it may be "coded" with different options than your vehicle has - thus certain features may not work, and other features may behave differently.

For $100 you could have had your GM repaired.
Already talked to Scott, he is not if he can fix it. Since I can pickup locally I think this is the best option. So, no coding correct? Also, when u r talking about features - I do have PAsoft to change the features, is this what u r talking about? Thanks so much.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:47 AM   #4
2000bimmer

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
I had to replace my GM twice. You do not need to go to dealers for any coding. You will only lose features that you did yourself like windows roll up with the key, one click unlock etc which can be done using PAsoft.

DIY: How to install
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ght=door+locks

DIY: Coding required
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=786260
2000bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
pppham

Thank you so much 2000bimmer. I will have it replace in next month and will update everyone.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Dave

My Ride: 323,330,M3,M3,M3
Interesting. I have long been meaning to (but not getting around to) adding things to my key (and the car in general) like the windows that you mention. But I have some of that weird lock behavior sometimes, so it makes me think maybe I should do this first.

And there's another reason it really sucks to be me and have a glove box I can't open!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
pppham

Well, just now getting to swap out the GM. My 01 330CiC similar situation. Working: PW, wiper, signal, and radio. Not working: Central lock, interior lights, and key FOB. Replaced it today. Now - working: central lock, interior lights. Not working: PW, wiper, signal, and radio along with key FOB (after many tried to sync the key). I decided to put my old GM5 back and still have the same problems as with the other used GM meaning PW, signal, radio, and key FOB are not working. Really need help since the windows are down right now and weather is called for rain in the next 5 days in NC.

Thanks,
Old 02-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #8
pppham

So, I disconnected both + and - cables from the battery and let it sat overnight. Also, pulled fuses off from items currently are not working. Got everything back, all are working except for the rear windows, I rolled it down and now will not going up (front windows is good). One touch windows is not working and top only open half way and stuck there. I have to turn off the vehicle to reset it and then I can close it. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by pppham; 02-03-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
pppham

Sorry to mention the other used GM5 is connected not my old one.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
pppham

Well, good news. I drop off the car at a local BMW shop in town yesterday. Told them about the problems stated in the thread. All they did was reprogram the software. Pick up the car today, everything is working. I just wonder based on my search on all forums that swapping out GM should not required reprogramming. I guess for my case is not true. They only charged me for $90 to reprogram it. Hope will help others to ensure other shops will not S&it you into replacing window's regulators or convertible tops parts. Thanks for all the help.

PS I also forgot to mention in my posted thread earlier that convertible top is not working (opened halfway and stuck there along with front windows did not dropped 1/4" when door is opened.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #11
pppham

Forgot. I still have the original GM for this car if anyone needed?