E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 12:09 AM   #21
JoeRoundel

My Ride: E46 330xi
Drew - I am using the same cable as you. Its a 6 inch adapter cable made by Apple, I bought it at Target. Try this: Get to a point where you are starting all over... unplug everything, flip all the switches on the unit around and then set them where they go, make sure the CD player works, just get everything back to normal. Then plug everything back in and set it up the same way you did when you got the 30 pin working. I use my iPhone 5 with this thing every day, there's gotta be something out of place in the setup.
JoeRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #22
werdstrave

My Ride: 2001 330ci
This is getting crazier by the minute. I took the cable back to apple store. They tried it on a 5, 5s, and 5c and it gave the same not compatible error on all screens. The cable was defective. We opened up another cable from the store and the same thing happened. Apparently apple is selling crap cables. We looked online and have seen some reviews stating the same errors from those cables. Maybe you got a lucky one from target or maybe target is carrying special ones made by apple. It won't hurt to try so I think I might head to target and try this weekend. So bizarre. If the ones from target won't work, I may have to start picking off some 3rd party ones and see if they work. Unreal.
werdstrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #23
AquilaBMW

My Ride: 325i Convertible
Hi Guys - I was searching for this adapter for my car and came across one on Amazon. It states it "iSimple ISBM72 iPod Interface for BMW without DSP 5-Volt Cable", here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-ISBM72...P+5-Volt+Cable.

Do I need something additional with this kit?

Last edited by AquilaBMW; 02-09-2014 at 12:21 PM.
AquilaBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #24
werdstrave

UPDATE on my issue. I returned apples cable and bought the exact one from target. The difference, the one from target actually worked! No error on my screen and when I plugged it into the isimple, nothing but sweet tunes came out with steering wheel controls. So pumped. Thanks for sticking with me on this one Joe. If anyone is in the same boat as I was, try the adapter first by plugging it into your iphone before you buy. If you get an error on screen it will not work with the isimple. Apparently target has ones that work. Apple store is a no go.

To AquilaBMW. I have not installed this system, my car came with it. Hopefully someone chimes in for you.

-Drew
Old 02-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #25
JoeRoundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdstrave View Post
UPDATE on my issue. I returned apples cable and bought the exact one from target. The difference, the one from target actually worked! No error on my screen and when I plugged it into the isimple, nothing but sweet tunes came out with steering wheel controls. So pumped. Thanks for sticking with me on this one Joe. If anyone is in the same boat as I was, try the adapter first by plugging it into your iphone before you buy. If you get an error on screen it will not work with the isimple. Apparently target has ones that work. Apple store is a no go.

To AquilaBMW. I have not installed this system, my car came with it. Hopefully someone chimes in for you.

-Drew
Awesome Drew! Glad I could help, enjoy the tunes!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #26
JoeRoundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
Hi Guys - I was searching for this adapter for my car and came across one on Amazon. It states it "iSimple ISBM72 iPod Interface for BMW without DSP 5-Volt Cable", here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-ISBM72...P+5-Volt+Cable.

Do I need something additional with this kit?
That is the same cable I ordered and use. It comes with the 30 pin iPod connector, so if you want to use an iPhone 5 you need an adapter. Werdstrave had a tough time with the ones from the Apple store. So far both of ours are working with the adapter you buy at Target.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:27 AM   #27
AquilaBMW

My kit just arrived today... wish me luck. I will hopefully be able to install by this weekend or sooner and will report back.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:56 PM   #28
AquilaBMW

I installed my kit today. It worked / works great. I decided to route my cable on the Left Side / Driver's to the trunk area running with the car's harness on that side.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:02 AM   #29
werdstrave

Nice!
Old 02-16-2014, 01:04 AM   #30
JoeRoundel

Cool man, enjoy the tunes!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #31
JoeRoundel

Just wanted to post an update to this thread as it may be helping people that are finding it in their searches.

I have had a few instances where my iSimple stopped recognizing my iPhone 5 with the adapter and no music would play. I have fixed this by using a small piece of wire, or a paperclip even, to pick out the lint from inside the lightning connector slot on the phone. As you put the phone in and out of your pocket, lint inevitably builds up within the connector slot. Carefully extract the lint and you should be good to go.

Believe it or not, I don't work for iSimple, I just really dig what this product does.

Cheers,
Joe