E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
outdoorsy people: teach mike larry about bug repellent clothing

My parents are going on a safari in march and i'd like for them to not catch malaria and die. I just recently learned about the existence of bug repellent clothing.

Is it any better than just spraying bug repellent on your regular clothing?

Are there any companies that are recommended?

Where's a good place to shop for this stuff online? I found only a sparse selection on REI.com

Thanks guys
Old 02-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
avon skin so soft lotion. (srs)

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
Chris3Duke

You can buy permethrin meant to be applied to clothing at REI. It's kind of a pain to spray all your clothes, though, and it doesn't last as many washings as the professionally applied stuff. It is, however, way cheaper.

steepandcheap.com has been having really good sales on bug repellent clothing lately. Take a look.

Malaria isn't really the main reason people use bug repellent clothing; your parents will want to take Malarone or Doxycycline (I recommend Malarone) no matter what. Anti-malarials are fairly cheap and easy to get access to.

The main reason is for more exotic mosquito-born illnesses that have no prophylactic available (like Dengue Fever) or an expensive one (Japanese Encephalitis). When we went to Cambodia last fall, we sprayed all our clothes first with the permethrin made to impregnate clothing, then followed up with a deet lotion (lasts longer than a spray).

I feel like the two main companies that make bug repellant clothes are Columbia and Orvis.

Last edited by Chris3Duke; 02-06-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
forced240

My Ride: M3
I spend a lot of time in the Boundary Waters in MN during peak mosquito/ black fly season. I always treat every piece of clothing I bring with Permethrin. From socks to hats.
The insect repellant clothes you buy (i.e. Columbia) are treated with Permethrin. SAWYER You can treat your current gear easily.

Also 95% DEET is crucial for exposed skin. DEET
forced240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Make sure they take something like Malarone if there are legit Malaria concerns. Their doctors shouldn't have any issues writing a script for it if they make their travel plans known.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
I looked into these for mountain biking: http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collec...sun-protection

I realize it's only one item and what you're asking about is an entire wardrobe solution.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
Chris3Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced240 View Post
I spend a lot of time in the Boundary Waters in MN during peak mosquito/ black fly season. I always treat every piece of clothing I bring with Permethrin. From socks to hats.
The insect repellant clothes you buy (i.e. Columbia) are treated with Permethrin. SAWYER You can treat your current gear easily.

Good call. Permethrin spray was what I was thinking of when I wrote Deet. Sawyer was the brand I used as well.

Once the stuff dries, you wouldn't know the clothes have been treated. I think it lasts like 25 washes.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
sd76

My Ride: RangeRoverSport
mike larry got beat up.....

Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #9
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by forced240 View Post

stay away from DEET. It works, but it causes cancer and it often causes redness on people that use it. If you have DEET, spray it around your campsite, it'll kill everything that crawls.

Most insecticide sprayed on your body only lasts about 30m, until it evaporates.

But it helps to spray your clothes the night prior and let it soak in.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #11
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
stay away from DEET. It works, but it causes cancer and it often causes redness on people that use it. If you have DEET, spray it around your campsite, it'll kill everything that crawls.

Most insecticide sprayed on your body only lasts about 30m, until it evaporates.

BS. Cite?
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #12
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
Skin so soft works great. I spent 9 weeks in Fiji when the had a dengue outbreak and had zero problems using skin so soft.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #13
Yossarian

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
LL Bean and Ex Officio both make permethrin treated clothing

http://www.llbean.com/

http://www.exofficio.com/
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
TheDeadner

My Ride: 00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
BS. Cite?
why bother? Everything causes cancer, literally everything.
TheDeadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #15
forced240

My Ride: M3
Quote:

You may be thinking of DDT.

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) classifies DEET as a group D carcinogen -- meaning it's not classifiable as to human carcinogenicity. In simple terms, that means that they can't say it causes cancer, but they can't say it doesn't, either."

You should never spray deet around your campsite. It's extremely bad for anything living in the water.
forced240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #16
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:

DEET is toxic for babies, but applied in small doses its minor side effects out way the risk of getting Dengue fever or Malaria.

OP, tell them to wear long sleeve clothing as well.

My stash for my upcoming trip to the Philippines.

The stuff with the green sprayer top is 99% DEET, I'll use that sparingly.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #17
Chris3Duke

While DEET is safe, it is pretty caustic. Strong DEET sprays and lotions can melt certain synthetic fabrics, and cause minor skin reactions in people with sensitive skin. When I apply the strong stuff repeatedly, I look and feel like I have a very minor sun burn.

Still, it's cheap, and extremely effective. With the newer stuff, like the 3M Ultrathon pictured in the last post, you can use weaker concentrations of DEET, and have it be just as effective. DEET evaporates over time, and the two ways to solve it are higher concentrations of it (meaning a longer residual), or an extended release system (like the lotion).

I've only seen the extended release in lotions, not sprays. Those lotions are also way more expensive.

Also, be careful if you buy any of this stuff at Home Depot or Lowes. Workers will spray themselves in the morning before heading to a jobsite. Whenever I purchase there, I have to go through 4 or 5 cans/bottles to find a full one.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #18
YYCZHP

My Ride: 2005 330ci zhp
I don't know if someone has mentioned it or not, but last year when I was doing landscaping the mosquitoes were horrible and my boss found this pill that you take in the morning and it lasts all day but it actually works. It's not prescription or anything and it most definitely helped me last summer, I don't remember what it's called but I'll try and find out and let you know

Edit: http://www.mozi-q.com

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by YYCZHP; 02-07-2014 at 12:02 PM.
YYCZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:17 AM   #19
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: stock
^ordered some of the products in that picture for my trip to india. I'm going to be there 4 months though

Old 03-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #20
SonicBoom

My Ride: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
Hell NO.

And my mom sells avon. It's fine for your backyard, but not otherwise.
DEET or stay home.
SonicBoom is offline   Reply With Quote