E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #81
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
Old news. Waiting on the other video!
Same here. Sounds intriguing.

"“The CEO is the link between the Inside that is ‘the organization,’ and the Outside of society, economy, technology, markets, and customers. Inside there are only costs. Results are only on the outside.”
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #82
///A

My Ride: Jeep GC Limited
i literally fell asleep watching that infinity clip. Srs dozed off like I was back in high school.
///A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:56 AM   #83
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: Um, who cares?
I'm not afraid to die and I have to wait my entire life to find out what it's like.

2008 Infiniti G37S "Nadia"
2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1994 Mazda Miata R-Spec Race Prep "Natasha"
1993 Audi 90 Quattro V6 "Lydia II"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:19 AM   #84
dardarwin01

My Ride: 330ci
I come to believe that god exist and he's their to help you, I was brought up that way "death is not to fear" sorta off topic but, anyways back to death has anyone experienced that feeling, like your body jumps out of nowhere when you wake up. I haven't had many but, now the feeling I just wonder if that is the feeling your body gets when your so called "spirt" leaves your body

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
dardarwin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:31 AM   #85
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: Um, who cares?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dardarwin01 View Post
I come to believe that god exist and he's their to help you, I was brought up that way "death is not to fear"
This is one of the issues I see with religion. It makes people look forward to death by promising a great afterlife.

Quote:
sorta off topic but, anyways back to death has anyone experienced that feeling, like your body jumps out of nowhere when you wake up. I haven't had many but, now the feeling I just wonder if that is the feeling your body gets when your so called "spirt" leaves your body
I'm sorry, I have to ask, but are you high at the moment?

2008 Infiniti G37S "Nadia"
2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1994 Mazda Miata R-Spec Race Prep "Natasha"
1993 Audi 90 Quattro V6 "Lydia II"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Last edited by Marshmallow; 02-07-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:31 AM   #86
dardarwin01

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
good god, i hope i'm not born again. i lucked out this time.

interesting thread.
It's funny how you think that way imagine being born as a girl, but thinking the opposite growing up. I don't think you would handle it, jk man haha I wish if I were to be born again I like to be born somewhere nice. who knows it may just be luck to be born again. But hey, you ain't back to your 2006 m3 in 2120 so f"it yolo

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
dardarwin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #87
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
I'm not afraid to die and I have to wait my entire life to find out what it's like.
There are ways to hurry it along if you so desire.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #88
saace7

My Ride: is for chicks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
There are ways to hurry it along if you so desire.

08 135i - red leather w/ sport pkg
FBO & Pro-Tuned by COBB of Plano
04 zhp - a tree killed it. RIP 7/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
BMW does not make a "super car". They make some super cars, but not a "super car".
saace7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #89
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:32 AM   #90
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: Not a Porsche GT3!
for more death and ghost talk.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:47 AM   #91
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
I screamed aloud to the old man, I said don't lie, don't say you don't know
I say you'll pay for this mischief, in this world or the next.
Oh and then he fixed me with a freezing glance and the hell fires raged in his eyes.
He said you wanna know the truth son? Lord, I'll tell you the truth
Your soul's gonna burn in a lake of fire

Are we here for a reason?
I'd like to know just what you think
It would be nice to know what happened when we die
Wouldn't it?

There are some who are wise
There are some who are born naive
I believe that there are some that must have lived before
Don't you ?

As for me, well I'm thinking
You gotta keep an open mind
But I hope that my life's not an open and shut case.

Extra Sensory Perception
Life After Death, telepathy
Can the soul live on and travel through space and time ?

You know I feel so elated
'Cause I'm about to find it out
And when I know all the answers
Maybe then I'll come back
To fill you in

You don't be alarmed now
If I try to contact you
If things go missing or get moved around ...it's me

And don't disbelieve it
No matter what your `friends' might say
We'll meet up again some place some way
One day

I said, I didn't mean to take you up all your sweet time
I'll give it right back to you one of these days
And if I don't meet you no more in this world
Then I'll, I'll meet you in the next one
And don't be late, don't be late
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:09 AM   #92
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Interested too in what Cowmoo32 and k2pilot might add.
Don't know why you'd specifically cite me on that one, I think we're pretty unspecial, others have pretty well described my stance on it, specifically these fine gents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
I don't believe consciousness exists independent of biology.

I think we are just intelligent enough that we start to believe in our own specialness, and we don't want to accept that we're just bags of mostly water and minerals, and when we die, we degrade back into the elements we're made from to begin with.

If we look at the entire spectrum of animals, I don't think any reasonable person would think that when a spider dies, it's consciousness is somehow transferred out of it's body and held in some holding tank somewhere, or transported into another spider or living being.

Self-awareness leads us to believe we're different from spiders, obviously. But where on the intelligence spectrum does durable, transportable consciousness start? Do dolphins, chimps, dogs, cephalopods have durable, extra-biologic consciousness?

If you back all the way out and look at the universe from the zillion-light-year level, does it really make sense that here on this tiny insignificant planet of ours, some tiny insignificant difference between animal species would make the difference between one species having a consciousness that outlasts the physical body, while all others don't?

I certainly don't have all the answers. But I intuitively shy away from any proposed answer that places human animals in some kind of special status independent of all other animals, because it immediately smacks of either A) wishful thinking, more saying what we want/hope to happen to make ourselves feel better instead of dealing with the truth, or B) the same kind of baseless, egocentric human-pedestal-placing thinking that leads to mythology/religion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
evidence (weak as fMRI, etc is) points towards knowledge, experiences, memory being stored in structural network format. if that's the case, when you die that network goes bye bye and your knowledge and experience does too.

i also could care less about the simulation theory. who cares? just because it looks like it is a simulation (basic natural laws that we all follow) doesnt mean it is. the things that matter to us are what's around us, there may be something out there that's bigger than us, but why bother yourself with it when it doesn't impact your life anyways.

I think the only "spooky action at a distance" thing I believe in would be the existence of a shared EM field communication between living organisms, which isn't really that far fetched. It's the noetics like like Scott mentioned. It could be used to account for the unusual situations like a patient being aware of their surroundings to an impossible degree, or how you can pick up on vibes from people/animals. People can actually tell when they're being looked at even when blind folded, to a statistically significant degree (i.e. not random), and we can even detect visual stimuli from another human mind via magnetism. It's not an impossible leap to hear stories of surgery patients being aware of their surroundings from the viewpoints of those around them.

So my thought is that everything is still just in the brain, and we've got some interesting EM transceivers hooked up in there that contribute to what you could call a life force. No brain, no transceiver, no life force. As a whole we aren't special, but maybe as a living system we are, so pretty much it's an enabler for the Gaia hypothesis (which I do believe in).

All in all I'm pretty indifferent towards death, I ride daily on a motorcycle, fly planes in dangerous conditions, and engage in all kinds of potentially fatal activity. Potentially checking out is a possible side-effect of that lifestyle, and I'm fine with that (my family probably less so, my only concern about death is how it would affect the living!). Worrying about staying alive while doing these things is probably the worst thing a person could do, it prevents you from thinking about the important things that ultimately keep you alive!