E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #501
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
If someone is checking for exits, he might as well be checking for escape routes after he does something unthinkable. You guys are advocating awareness and vigilance, but when some of us say that certain behaviors would arouse suspicion, all of a sudden we're supposed to not look at him because he's just doing something normal. See something, say something. If I see someone checking exits and escape routes, I'll say something.
So you advocate walking around with your head up your ass? With all the real problem with guns, ie: gang violence, you focus your arguments on shit that's so dumb it's impossible to take you seriously.

Last edited by choxor; 01-28-2014 at 02:17 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #502
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
If someone is checking for exits, he might as well be checking for escape routes after he does something unthinkable. You guys are advocating awareness and vigilance, but when some of us say that certain behaviors would arouse suspicion, all of a sudden we're supposed to not look at him because he's just doing something normal. See something, say something. If I see someone checking exits and escape routes, I'll say something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
You seem paranoid about the actions of others. I thought no one was out to get you or do any harm and that carrying is unnecessary....? Look for the good in people. Assume the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
So you advocate walking around with your head up your ass? With all the real problem with guns, ie: gang violence, you focus your arguments on shit that's so dumb it's impossible to take you seriously.
Agreed, you wouldn't know if someone was walking around checking exits. God forbid someone should take a look for the lit up exit signs while there is no danger. The club scenario really points as to why thinking this way could save your life, and the life of others.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:40 PM   #503
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:

So as long as he's not interested in how to exit the building in case of a fire, you're OK with him.
If we close our eyes, we'll maybe realize there's more to life than what we have known.
And I can't believe I've spent so long living lies I know were wrong inside,
I've just begun to see the light.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:53 PM   #504
tonycajjo

My Ride: 2006 330Ci
theres a difference between checking the exits and understanding your surroundings, and flat out casing the joint. It's the latter of the two that arouses my suspicion. I don't necessarily turn into Columbo but I do find myself to suddenly become chatty.
tonycajjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #505
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
When I look for exits, etc. it's really just a glance around the room. I don't physically walk around the room typically and check doors to see if they're open, etc. I normally think of a plan of escape and stick it in the back of my brain.

For instance, I might see 3 exits in addition to the one I came through. I'd normally say "ok, if x happens, I'll head for that exit. I'll get there by following x route and going x direction. And I'll typically have a backup plan.

That whole process takes less than a minute when I enter that sort of situation, maybe only a few seconds. I don't "case the joint."

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:48 AM   #506
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycajjo View Post
theres a difference between checking the exits and understanding your surroundings, and flat out casing the joint. It's the latter of the two that arouses my suspicion. I don't necessarily turn into Columbo but I do find myself to suddenly become chatty.
How do you tell one from the other?
If we close our eyes, we'll maybe realize there's more to life than what we have known.
And I can't believe I've spent so long living lies I know were wrong inside,
I've just begun to see the light.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:53 AM   #507
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
I'm glad you're a psychic.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #508
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Thanks to those who contribute to the conversation. The ones whose only purpose is to derail it, thanks to you, too. You may not make it informative, but you do make it interesting.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #509
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:

david or who ever said they count the rows back they are on an air plane, pace hotel hallways, or plan exits... that's the stuff i would notice someone do and would be a little uneasy, to the point where i would definitely inquire as to why you were acting as such. would you shot me as i approached or would you "shout from that second story window?"
I do it too sometimes. I check other people out too. Not that I'm paranoid, but I like to be aware of my surroundings and the people occupying a room with me. I've always done it. Better to be safe than sorry if a situation (fire, emergency, gas leak, etc.) arises. I've also been one to constantly over analyze things at times.

Quote:

I'd tell you to go mind your business, pal. But I don't physically walk up to exits and routes. I stand/sit in a room (while conversing) and look around for these things.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 01-29-2014 at 09:12 AM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #510
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
It's no different than constantly scanning around while driving, always having at least 3 possible maneuvers to avoid an accident at anytime, staring at the front tires of cars 90 degrees to you so you know if they start moving into your path, etc.

Situational awareness... You do it enough and its zero effort or burden. Really almost subconscious like breathing

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #511
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Since everyone was so concerned about the details and not wanting to make any calls before more information is in, I'll give you guys an update:
DADE CITY — In the dark of the theater, Alan Hamilton saw the kernels fly. Then, the muzzle flash and a loud bang.

"I'll teach you to throw popcorn at me," an eyewitness recalled the shooter, retired Tampa police Capt. Curtis Reeves, saying.

Hamilton, an off-duty Sumter County sheriff's deputy who was sitting on the same row as Reeves, moved in.

"I head in that direction and I found Mr. Reeves sitting in his chair," Hamilton said during Reeves' bail hearing Wednesday. "I reached down and there was a weapon on his left knee." The weapon, a .380-caliber semiautomatic pistol, Hamilton said, was still warm.

It was Jan. 13, and Hamilton cleared the gun and told Reeves, 71, to stay put. Reeves, he said, pushed his glasses back on his head and said, "I can't believe what I've done."

The man he shot, Chad Oulson, 43, said, "I can't believe this." He lay dying in the aisle of the theater, according to testimony. The movie, Lone Survivor, never started. A nurse named Derek Friedhoff took off his shirt and pressed it against Oulson's entry wound. He started chest compressions and asked for a light to shine in Oulson's pupils. Oulson didn't respond.

In the following moments, Hamilton said, Reeves' wife, Vivian, asked her husband why he had to fire, saying "that was no cause to shoot anyone."

Reeves leaned back and stuck his finger at his wife and said "you shut your f------ mouth and don't say another word," Hamilton testified.

Much of the testimony centered on the argument between Oulson and Reeves. Hamilton said Oulson turned around and cursed at Reeves and said, "I'm trying to text my f------ daughter if you don't mind."

There was only a 3- to 5-second pause between the popcorn and the gunfire, Hamilton said.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/...ooting/2164252
Old 02-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #512
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Maybe the popcorn was really hot

I'm not defending the old guy since he was clearly looking for a reason. There will always be lunatics. Prepare accordingly.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #513
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
i wonder what a gay spider would do in this situation.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #514
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
It's no different than constantly scanning around while driving, always having at least 3 possible maneuvers to avoid an accident at anytime, staring at the front tires of cars 90 degrees to you so you know if they start moving into your path, etc.

Situational awareness... You do it enough and its zero effort or burden. Really almost subconscious like breathing
This. Me and JJ agree. Zomg.

I have always made notes of any place I am in regarding alternative means of exiting the building. Takes very little effort and doesn't necessary mean you are running scenarios through your head. Just noting the layout.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #515
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
This is about 5 miles from where I live, been there many times.

Shooting the guy was wrong, but I put this in the "don't be a dick face" file.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #516
ONEinc_StephenK

My Ride: Nothing but BMW
^^ there is no but. That old fvck should get the death penalty.
ONEinc_StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #517
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEinc_StephenK View Post
^^ there is no but. That old fvck should get the death penalty.
+1. I'm trying to understand the point of this thread. Is there anyone here who thinks the shooter was justified in any way? His actions seem indefensible to me.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #518
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderdave View Post
+1. I'm trying to understand the point of this thread. Is there anyone here who thinks the shooter was justified in any way? His actions seem indefensible to me.
+1. Solely based on "facts" from the story

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 02-07-2014 at 12:28 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #519
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Dad was obviously a jerk and didn't give a damn about others, but the shooting is indefensible. Don't kid yourself, the guy won't get the death penalty. 2nd degree murder at best, remaining life in prison. Dude is pretty old already. Even if they sentenced him to ride the lightning, he'd die waiting for sentence to be carried out.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #520
ONEinc_StephenK

My Ride: Nothing but BMW
He should still get the death penalty. He just made a family go on without a dad, husband, bread winner, etc. Fvcking guy.
ONEinc_StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote