E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #81
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
I never said that, I said it was a catch 22..This whole action of people moving away from poor only in turn creates more poverty which creates the vicious cycle.

When it comes to education, the Libertarian concept of simply leaving the poor behind, is simply dumb and lazy. The end result is even more uneducated derelicts and crime than before that bleed even closer to those who moved. A society cannot escape or ignore the poor.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
This.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #82
Gatriel
Gr Di'

My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
This.
You missed my response.

EDIT - I am all for leaving the stupid and lazy behind.

Last edited by Gatriel; 02-07-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #83
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
You missed my response.

I didn't miss it. What will become of the stupid and lazy after they're left behind?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #84
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
I didn't miss it. What will become of the stupid and lazy after they're left behind?
Couldn't care less.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #85
'busa

Quote:
Couldn't care less.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #86
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
haha I don't give two shits about the stupid and lazy?

Hokay brosef.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #87
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
I think you'll find most Libertarians get a hard on when you explain the German education system, which leaves almost no one behind.
I'm sure they get a hard on for President Coriolanus Snow as well, no?

Quote:
You missed my response.

Remind me again, which group of people are the stupid and lazy?

It is easy to blanket the problem with "people should work hard" and good things will happen for them. That is no different than trying to teach a child to swim by throwing them into the deep end of the pool and expecting them simply breast stroke out of it.

The people we are talking about have zero concept of how to obtain anything in life. The root of the problem lies in educating the children and thus ending the cycle. I'm a registered Republican, but what you are suggesting simply makes no sense. The house is on fire so we're gonna leave and hope it puts itself out? Really.

Explain to me how educating the poorer people would have a negative impact on society?

Explain to me how simply leaving the poor behind makes the situation for you and I better? Did you not see the uneducated and poor storm Walmart when the food stamps machines broke?

Old 02-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #88
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:

Explain to me how educating the poorer people would have a negative impact on society?
You cannot educate those who refused to be educated. Trust me, we've been trying.

They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet. - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #89
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
People that are stupid and lazy. Generally those people who are of sound mind and body that decide to live off the gub'ment's dime.

Quote:
The people we are talking about have zero concept of how to obtain anything in life. The root of the problem lies in educating the children and thus ending the cycle. I'm a registered Republican, but what you are suggesting simply makes no sense. The house is on fire so we're gonna leave and hope it puts itself out? Really.
No, the root of the problem is we as a culture have adopted this idiot blind faith that any kid, irrespective of intelligence, work ethic, could be a doctor, lawyer, astronaut, or batman. When this just isn't the case. Statistically there are some schools, and some socio-economic subsegments of society that perform much better than others.

So you have this idiot blind faith coupled with the diminishment of the value of skilled labor in this country has produce the situation we find ourselves in.

We have a society that looks down their noses at people who don't go to college, or start a business. We have every idiot politician from both parties go around and opine that "every child needs an opportunity to go to college."

But this is wrong. College isn't for everyone. In fact, I would venture to say it isn't for most people. But the American status-quo tries to force everyone into a collegiate path. This produces 3 major negative externalities;

1) Too many people in college. 40 years ago, when most people didn't go to college all you need to have was a High School Diploma. If you had a high school diploma you could have a good middle-class life. If you wanted to be "banken" you went to college or started a business. Now we have an oversupply of college educated individuals. This makes the 4 year degree an equivalent to a high school diploma from 4 years ago, but with all the debt that goes with it. So now, if you want to be "wealthy" you have to continue your education.

"But Gatriel, thats great we have lots of college educated people. It makes us more competitive than the rest of the world."

I would assert this is incorrect. You have people with 4 year degrees taking jobs that don't require a 4 year degree. This drives down the average wage of a college educated person, as well as a non-college educated person. You also have a whole generation of people that are up to their eyeballs in student loan debt, who can now not buy a house, buy a new car, or purchase consumer goods.

2) Disenfranchise those in poor communities.

Those who find themselves in generational poverty, the option to go to college isn't the first step to getting these people out of poverty. The goal for these people shouldn't be buying a house, leasing a new Beemer, or taking a Hawaiian vacation. It should be getting these people off the support systems they rely on to continue their existence. So getting people out of poverty doesn't mean catapulting them into the top 20% of society. It is just getting them to pay their own rent, utility bills, and food.

The best way to do this, is not "HEY EVERYONE GO TO COLLEGE" it should be "Hey, listen, you go to school in an "at risk" neighborhood. This means that high school drop out is over 50%. As opposed to you dropping out, take some classes and learn to be a BMW mechanic, or learn to be a hair dresser, or how to be an exterminator, or a car audio installer, or some other skilled laborer."

But no, these people have to learn World History, Contemporary British Literature, and Algebra, because, well, college.

3) It is economically inefficient. When there are a fixed amount of resources to educate a group of students, the money should be spent intelligently.

So spend the money for college programs on students who are statically more likely to go to college than those who aren't. Spend the money on students for vocational training for those who vocational training would be a better fit, or are unable to stay an academic under age 22 or so.

But I digress,

Quote:
It doesn't necessarily, but diverting resources from those who are statistically more likely to be successful in higher education to those who are statistically very likely to never set foot in a college classroom is a horrible inefficient use of resources. To be competitive on the world stage the idea of "fairness" has to be tossed out for economic efficiency. Its also a bit of a humanitarian argument, as the status quo is doing nothing but making the poor poorer.

Quote:

Explain to me how simply leaving the poor behind makes the situation for you and I better? Did you not see the uneducated and poor storm Walmart when the food stamps machines broke?

It doesn't, but under the status quo -- the poor remain trapped in poverty at the expense of sacrificing our education system.

The German education system is much more efficient in this area, and has thus enabled a more equitable distribution of wealth.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #90
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Nothing?
Old 02-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #91
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I want a wealthier school district, I will lobby the government to give me one.
I live in one of the wealthiest areas of NJ. It has the #1 school district in NJ. It seems to me that wealthy people (or even middle middle class+) put far more emphasis on education than those in the lower middle class and the poor. I don't see why you find it surprising. Is it surprising to you that wealthy people care more about landscaping and clean streets than poor people?

http://njmonthly.com/articles/towns_...est-in-nj.html

(I do believe it has recently lost the title though, but it is still at the top.)

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 02-08-2014 at 06:01 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #92
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
They will serve you fries on your way to a skiing trip. Why can't you accept that "the world needs plenty of ditch diggers" and not everyone can be a neurosurgeon. Society will ALWAYS have the poor.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #93
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I'm sure they get a hard on for President Coriolanus Snow as well, no?

It is easy to blanket the problem with "people should work hard" and good things will happen for them. That is no different than trying to teach a child to swim by throwing them into the deep end of the pool and expecting them simply breast stroke out of it.

Bunch of hippie BS. 15% of the population is living below the poverty line. 5% or so probably are poor through no real fault of their own, and do need some help. Free/cheap education, temporary relief (welfare), etc etc etc. 10% of people are poor because of bad decisions. Substance abuse problems, having children at a very young age, out of wedlock, criminal records, etc. There is nothing you can do to help them. For some reason people think that you can have a country like the US, with 300MM+ people, and not have anyone live below the poverty line.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #94
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
People that are stupid and lazy. Generally those people who are of sound mind and body that decide to live off the gub'ment's dime.

No, the root of the problem is we as a culture have adopted this idiot blind faith that any kid, irrespective of intelligence, work ethic, could be a doctor, lawyer, astronaut, or batman. When this just isn't the case. Statistically there are some schools, and some socio-economic subsegments of society that perform much better than others.

So you have this idiot blind faith coupled with the diminishment of the value of skilled labor in this country has produce the situation we find ourselves in.

We have a society that looks down their noses at people who don't go to college, or start a business. We have every idiot politician from both parties go around and opine that "every child needs an opportunity to go to college."

But this is wrong. College isn't for everyone. In fact, I would venture to say it isn't for most people. But the American status-quo tries to force everyone into a collegiate path. This produces 3 major negative externalities;

1) Too many people in college. 40 years ago, when most people didn't go to college all you need to have was a High School Diploma. If you had a high school diploma you could have a good middle-class life. If you wanted to be "banken" you went to college or started a business. Now we have an oversupply of college educated individuals. This makes the 4 year degree an equivalent to a high school diploma from 4 years ago, but with all the debt that goes with it. So now, if you want to be "wealthy" you have to continue your education.

"But Gatriel, thats great we have lots of college educated people. It makes us more competitive than the rest of the world."

I would assert this is incorrect. You have people with 4 year degrees taking jobs that don't require a 4 year degree. This drives down the average wage of a college educated person, as well as a non-college educated person. You also have a whole generation of people that are up to their eyeballs in student loan debt, who can now not buy a house, buy a new car, or purchase consumer goods.

2) Disenfranchise those in poor communities.

Those who find themselves in generational poverty, the option to go to college isn't the first step to getting these people out of poverty. The goal for these people shouldn't be buying a house, leasing a new Beemer, or taking a Hawaiian vacation. It should be getting these people off the support systems they rely on to continue their existence. So getting people out of poverty doesn't mean catapulting them into the top 20% of society. It is just getting them to pay their own rent, utility bills, and food.

The best way to do this, is not "HEY EVERYONE GO TO COLLEGE" it should be "Hey, listen, you go to school in an "at risk" neighborhood. This means that high school drop out is over 50%. As opposed to you dropping out, take some classes and learn to be a BMW mechanic, or learn to be a hair dresser, or how to be an exterminator, or a car audio installer, or some other skilled laborer."

But no, these people have to learn World History, Contemporary British Literature, and Algebra, because, well, college.

3) It is economically inefficient. When there are a fixed amount of resources to educate a group of students, the money should be spent intelligently.

So spend the money for college programs on students who are statically more likely to go to college than those who aren't. Spend the money on students for vocational training for those who vocational training would be a better fit, or are unable to stay an academic under age 22 or so.

But I digress,

It doesn't necessarily, but diverting resources from those who are statistically more likely to be successful in higher education to those who are statistically very likely to never set foot in a college classroom is a horrible inefficient use of resources. To be competitive on the world stage the idea of "fairness" has to be tossed out for economic efficiency. Its also a bit of a humanitarian argument, as the status quo is doing nothing but making the poor poorer.

It doesn't, but under the status quo -- the poor remain trapped in poverty at the expense of sacrificing our education system.

The German education system is much more efficient in this area, and has thus enabled a more equitable distribution of wealth.
Definitely with you on the college scam, and the fact that we should be pushing trade schools FAR FAR more than college. Anyone with a trade never goes hungry.