E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
AAR: Cumberland Tactics Tactical Handgun 101

Tactical Handgun 101
Instructor: Randy Cain

Gear
Glock 19 with 10-8 FO front sight and 10-8 Square Notch Rear sight
Raven Concealment Holster
HBC Concealment Dual Mag Pouch
Ares Gear Ranger Belt

Iíve started to make a change in the gear that I wear in classes. As much as I want to get all tactical and wear cool stuff, the truth is that I never wear any of that in my day to day life. Iím making an effort to go into these classes and treat them like a real world scenario. Should the zombies invade or some other type of civil unrest happen, Iíve had plenty of class time using that stuff so Iíll be fine.

Students
We had several very good shooters with quite a bit of class experience and one first time shooter. The experienced guys were really, really good. They had all been going to classes for years and years, but the good thing is that they were quick to help or lend advice when asked. I learned quite a bit just by watching and asking them. I was solidly in the middle, and Iím actually quite pleased with that based on the strength of the class.

TD1 Ė 50s and raining
The day started with the standard safety lecture, the four rules, and a short preview of the days ahead. The first drill was to shoot three shots from three yards, one handed, with the bottom two fingers off of the pistol. He wanted all three shots through the same hole. This was a starting point for Randy to see how each student shoots. Only a few of the really experienced guys did it.

Day one was slow and methodical, breaking down each fundamental aspect of shooting and explaining how and why itís important to get it right. Forward and backward movement was then introduced. We also had some additional instruction on tactical reloads. Any student that ran dry and had to speed reload owed Randy a Starbuckís gift card. The rest of the drills throughout the day focused on the fundamentals while moving.

Randy kept mentioning the strength of the class as a whole, and how we were far ahead of his typical schedule. Since we had finished with his typical TD1 material, he took us over to another part of the range to shoot a single elimination steel match.

TD2 Ė 50s and raining
Day two started a little later because there was a night shoot component to this class. We reviewed day one, did some shooting to review those fundamentals, and then moved into the four step draw. All drills from that point were performed from the holster while reinforcing accuracy. He then introduced lateral movement and put everything together.

The night shoot was a good experience. We worked on all of the same drills, but with a flashlight (no weapon mounted lights to start, everyone had to use a hand held flashlight). We ran many of the same drills as earlier in the day. The night shoot ended with a surprise. He took us to yet another part of the range where two ten inch steel disks were mounted on a stand 35 yards away. He held a flashlight, and in turn we each had to shoot the steel while he was turning it on and off. This pretty much freaked out all of the less experienced shooters, myself included. I had never even shot a pistol at that distance, let alone at night. It was an eye opening experience. Fourteen out of sixteen hit the steel.

TD3- 70s and sunny
Day three put everything together, but added additional speed and distance while maintaining accuracy. It also included a mindset lecture that wove Randyís real world experience into possible civilian scenarios. We ended the class just how we started. We were to shoot three shots from three yards, one handed, with the bottom two fingers off of the pistol. He wanted all three shots through the same hole.

Takeaways
This was my first class that had continuous rain, and it was really cold (for Florida) on top of that. I donít have the proper gear to spend 16 hours out in that kind of weather. I was wearing an LL Bean rain jacket and jeans, and it was just a royal pain in the ass to get to my gear. I need to find a solution to this.

My accuracy is significantly better, although I have a consistent drift to the left that is about 1.5 inches at 12 yards. This is a trigger control problem. I know how to fix it; I just need to dry fire to program it in.

My gear worked as expected, with one slight hitch. During TD3, the fiber optic of my front sight started to slide out. A little piece of the bloom chipped off and allowed it to slide forward. During the lunch break, I borrowed a lighter and re-melted it and it was fine.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
There's a strip club in West Virginia called Southern Exposure.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Good AAR. Wish it was warm enough up here to go take training. Woke up this morning and it was -14 with -30 wind chill. Home range is snowed-in.
When did you guys introduce reloads on TD1? AM, early PM, late PM? How in-depth did you go in training reloads?

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Good AAR. Wish it was warm enough up here to go take training. Woke up this morning and it was -14 with -30 wind chill. Home range is snowed-in.
When did you guys introduce reloads on TD1? AM, early PM, late PM? How in-depth did you go in training reloads?
TD1 Morning - admin reloads at any time
TD1 After lunch - tactical reloads at any time on the line after a drill
TD2 & 3 - admin at any time, tactical reloads at any time on the line after a drill, speed reloads when needed

The how's and why's were all sufficiently covered, in my opinion.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I forgot to add one funny story. We were working on malfunction drills, and we had to create a malfunction (type 1-3, our choice). Then he told us to put it on the ground in front of us with another magazine and go back to the shelter. He then told us that on "go" we were to run back to the line and pick up a different pistol, clear the malfunction, and put two rounds on target.

We did that, which was actually pretty neat since I was able to shoot someone's VTAC M&P with an Apex trigger kit. Then we did it again, setting up a malfunction on the pistol that we just shot. On "go" we ran to find another pistol. We did this a third time. However, he told us that on "go" we were to run back to our pistol, clear the malfunction, and put two shots on our target.

He yelled "go", I ran to my position on the line and found that my Glock had been field stripped. Unbeknownst to me, while we were all walking back to the shelter Randy field stripped it and left it for me to find. So here I am on the line reassembling my pistol while 15 other guys are firing around me with the instructor telling me to fix it and make sure that I wasn't the last one shooting.

It was a good exercise, and I found out afterward that he does that to one person in each class. I just happened to be the one.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
I forgot to add one funny story. We were working on malfunction drills, and we had to create a malfunction (type 1-3, our choice). Then he told us to put it on the ground in front of us with another magazine and go back to the shelter. He then told us that on "go" we were to run back to the line and pick up a different pistol, clear the malfunction, and put two rounds on target.

We did that, which was actually pretty neat since I was able to shoot someone's VTAC M&P with an Apex trigger kit. Then we did it again, setting up a malfunction on the pistol that we just shot. On "go" we ran to find another pistol. We did this a third time. However, he told us that on "go" we were to run back to our pistol, clear the malfunction, and put two shots on our target.

He yelled "go", I ran to my position on the line and found that my Glock had been field stripped. Unbeknownst to me, while we were all walking back to the shelter Randy field stripped it and left it for me to find. So here I am on the line reassembling my pistol while 15 other guys are firing around me with the instructor telling me to fix it and make sure that I wasn't the last one shooting.

It was a good exercise, and I found out afterward that he does that to one person in each class. I just happened to be the one.
Having your handgun spontaneously fall completely apart in the middle of combat would be one hell of a malfunction
Old 02-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
How'd your gear perform? Other major malfunctions from others in the course?

Last edited by Rush4theYehO; 02-10-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
How'd your gear perform? Other major malfunctions from others in the course?
All of my gear worked as expected, except for the FO on the front sight as mentioned in the original post.

There were no weapon related malfunctions that I'm aware of over the three days. Pistols were Glocks, a Springfield XD, and I think that the rest were M&Ps. One guy was issued an HK and used it for the first half of day one, and then ditched it for a Glock. The only 1911 was used by the instructor.

Two people had issues with their paddle holsters pulling off of their belt. This is the third class that I've seen this. If anyone uses a paddle holster, I would seriously reconsider it.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Oh, one guy had a Surefire P3X. That thing is like the sun trapped in a tube.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
Reedo302

Quote:
TD1 Morning - admin reloads at any time
TD1 After lunch - tactical reloads at any time on the line after a drill
TD2 & 3 - admin at any time, tactical reloads at any time on the line after a drill, speed reloads when needed

The how's and why's were all sufficiently covered, in my opinion.
Good deal. I'm a big proponent of keeping the gun running and learning to do it early. The carbine course I evaluated last summer didn't cover reloads in depth, and they wanted to put it in their Advanced class. It was one area where I dinged them and suggested that they change it. I feel like it's important to do early on, which you guys did. That staged progression that you guys did is a good method.

Did he allow admin reloads while the gun was in the holster?

Quote:
All of my gear worked as expected, except for the FO on the front sight as mentioned in the original post.

There were no weapon related malfunctions that I'm aware of over the three days. Pistols were Glocks, a Springfield XD, and I think that the rest were M&Ps. One guy was issued an HK and used it for the first half of day one, and then ditched it for a Glock. The only 1911 was used by the instructor.

Two people had issues with their paddle holsters pulling off of their belt. This is the third class that I've seen this. If anyone uses a paddle holster, I would seriously reconsider it.
Was anyone shooting a Glock 22/23 with WML?

Excellent point on the paddle holsters.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 02-10-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

While the definition of an administrative reload varies, for the purposes of this class they were holster only.

Unfortunately, no chance to see a 40 with a WML malfunction. One deputy was using his issued Glock 21 with an X300 and one guy was using a Glock 19 with an X300. Only two out of sixteen people used a WML, which really surprised me. I used a handheld Surefire G2X Pro since I don't have a WML on my carry pistol.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
Reedo302

Was is basically putting a fresh magazine in the gun while it was holstered so that you're topped off?

Glock Armorer

Old 02-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #13
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Yes, that's why admin reloads only was only about three hours.