E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
redneckrice94

My Ride: 2000 323i
Roll Cage

I will probably be turning my E46 Sedan into a track car for Road Course, and thus will need a cage to run in the series I am looking at. I plan on building most of the cage myself, however does anyone know of a place that will bend the hoop/roll bar. That is the only piece that I do not feel comfortable doing myself.

redneckrice94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
badfast

My Ride: A Car
My cage came from Kirk Racing. You could possibly contact them and see if they can provide you with a main hoop.

http://www.kirkracing.com/

Last edited by badfast; 01-27-2014 at 03:20 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Taylor@Bimmertools
also NOT a mechanic

My Ride: BMW X5 35d
Are you going racing or doing HPDE's? If you are doing DE's I would suggest picking up a rollbar from Kirk. They make a great product. It's already painted and they fit really well. Just bolt it in and you're set. It is probably cheaper to get the whole thing from them once you consider the amount of time it will take for you to build it yourself. If you are going racing I would suggest taking it to a professional cage builder.
Taylor@Bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
redneckrice94

Taylor, I will be racing but cannot afford the $5K bill that a few shops have quoted me for the cage. I own a welder and have access to band saws and many other fab tools so building a cage would not be difficult, just time consuming. When I am not in school during the summer and have evenings open. It makes sense to do something constructive.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
Taylor@Bimmertools
also NOT a mechanic

I hear ya. $5k sounds extremely high though. If you have the interior stripped and ready I wouldn't expect the bill to be more the $2k for a basic 6 pt cage unpainted. Not talking chrome moly here just a solid basic cage. Depending on the class you're shooting for you may get more elaborate with tie in points and whatnot but $5k seems like a lot. This is my cage. Very basic as my class limits tie in points but I added nascar bars and foot protection. Cost me $2300 unpainted. Make sure you do everything you want to do on the interior before the cage is installed. Good luck. It's always nice to see someone else hitting the track!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1390918259.288964.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	544373
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1390918273.419922.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	544374

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
redneckrice94

That looks great. What is the advantage of NASCAR Bars rather than standard door bars? I talked to a guy at Kirk Racing, and I was debating doing the standard door bar with an additional bolt in bar. I do not plan on driving the car on the street often when it has the cage, but I may keep it licensed.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
Taylor@Bimmertools
also NOT a mechanic

I personally wanted a modified x (an x that bulges out into the door like the NASCAR bars) instead of the NASCAR bars but my builder wanted to do them so I went along with it. They offer a lot of protection and are far away from me so I'm happy; that's the real advantage. Cage on the street isn't so good if you get in a wreck but if it is only drive it on occasion you should be okay. Keep us posted as you go along. Good luck!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
The LeMons crew likes http://www.rollcagecomponents.com for budget cage parts and kits.

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
cagedruss

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl View Post
The LeMons crew likes http://www.rollcagecomponents.com for budget cage parts and kits.

Make sure the material is DOM and not ERW. Most of the cheap kits use lesser material. SCCA/NASA do not not allow ERW for roll bars.

If you are just doing track days it will be ok but f you sell the car later you will be limiting yourself to potential buys.

Also these kits do not allow for any interior except for the Dash.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
cagedruss

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrice94 View Post
I will probably be turning my E46 Sedan into a track car for Road Course, and thus will need a cage to run in the series I am looking at. I plan on building most of the cage myself, however does anyone know of a place that will bend the hoop/roll bar. That is the only piece that I do not feel comfortable doing myself.
What bender do you have? I may be able to help you out.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #11
redneckrice94

I have not purchased a Bender yet. I was going to get a cheap manual one though.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
rsrdan

My Ride: 1988 BMW M3
I'm looking at this one.

http://t.harborfreight.com/12-ton-hy...der-32888.html

1988 M3

1989 951

rsrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #13
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Pipe benders, a.k.a. tubing denters, are prone to crimping or dimpling the tubing which results in a failure at tech inspection. Rotary draw benders (Pro Tools, JD Squared, etc) eliminate tubing collapse and provide consistent shrink/stretch when bending.

I use a Pro-Tools 105HD bender and a Pro-Tools Racer notcher. I made the hydraulic conversion with an engine hoist cylinder from Harbor Freight and the stand from a scrap tool stand.

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is online now   Reply With Quote