E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
"Go back to Africa"

So if anyone has been following the Twitter sh!tstorm surrounding #shovegate you know that NCAA player Marcus Smart shoved a fan and claimed the fan incited the event by calling him a "racial slur".

Twitter immediately whipped itself into a storm or usual proportions. The progression of the same can be found below.

http://deadspin.com/go-back-to-afric...art-1519336610

The rumors swirled and grew, people got angrier and kept changing the story to make it even worse.

As usual, the truth comes out and it is much ado about nothing

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...deo-return-out
Quote:
Texas Tech released a statement saying they conducted a thorough investigation. Orr denied making a racial slur and Tech says the evidence backs up Orr's statement.

TTU also released a video in which the only heckling that can be heard from Orr — or anybody — is "you piece of crap."
Marcus Smart has since apologized to the fan and is moving on to a promising NBA career after this year.

Quote:
Smart expressed remorse in a brief statement at a news conference Sunday evening.

"I want to apologize to the fan, whose name is Jeff Orr. I want to apologize to him. I want to apologize to my teammates, to my coaching staff, Coach Ford, my family, Oklahoma State University. This is not how I [conduct] myself, this is not how this program is ran. This is not how I was raised. I let my emotions get the best of me.

"Just can't let that happen again. This is a lesson I'll have to learn from. The consequences that are coming with it, I'm taking full responsibility. No finger pointing. This is all upon me.
Seems like a good kid, but why automatically default to the race card? Why does everyone rush to make it racist. It is like people are just dying for racism to be everywhere. When are we going to get past this point of automatically defaulting to this crap?

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
I don't know why Marcus did what he did -- misheard Orr, made it up -- but he did apologise and took full responsibility for his actions.

Why some inn appropriately "play the race card," as you phrase it, or others reflexively deny any role of race in our society probably differs from person to person, situation to situation. However, neither extreme either reflects the more complex realities of race in our society nor advances our race relations, both sacrificing honesty and credibility for either simplistic ideology or personal advantage. Best that those who do so apologise and take responsibility, as did Smart.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
Act of God

Smart manned up. Like I said, he seems like a solid kid and should go on to a nice career. Just annoying to see the twitter people just looking for reasons to be outraged. That kind of stuff just divides us further.

edit: holy crap NBADraft.net has him at #4. I guess the Knicks will get him in about 10 years on a max contract lol.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

Last edited by Act of God; 02-10-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
GuiltySpark

My Ride: 02 325xi
Maybe because there isn't a retard filter on twitter or the internet for that matter.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
GuiltySpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
Maybe because there isn't a retard filter on twitter or the internet for that matter.

This.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #6
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post

if there was a political talk thread for every racist sh1tstorm on twitter, the servers would crash
Old 02-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
if there was a political talk thread for every racist sh1tstorm on twitter, the servers would crash
The Cloud could store it.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/09/tex...piece-of-crap/

Texas Tech super fan Jeff Orr Volunteers not to attend anymore games for the rest of the season.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

Last edited by phrozen06; 02-11-2014 at 08:03 AM.
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
It's always texas.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
It's always texas.
Is that because he might be conservative? I know you just hate them, and Texas is full of them, so you must hate Texas for that reason, not because the guy screamed something that any fan would yell after a beer or two at an opposing team/player if they thought he did something wrong or disliked him as a player. Just sayin'.

Try to tell me you've never been watching a sports match/game, and have never called a player on the opposing team a "piece of crap."

edit: and if were looking for a state to blame that always has weird **** going on, its FLORIDA. ITS ALWAYS FLORIDA.

Last edited by rcsummers; 02-11-2014 at 11:29 AM.
rcsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
Lair
Modded ///Member

What kind of Neanderthal loses his mind while watching sports? (Besides texas cowpokes and other testosterone-fueled thugs, that is?)

Frankly, you can take florida and texas and set them both on fire. The bush family ruined both states.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #11
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Quote:
What kind of Neanderthal loses his mind while watching sports? (Besides texas cowpokes and other testosterone-fueled thugs, that is?)

Frankly, you can take florida and texas and set them both on fire. The bush family ruined both states.
Damn shame we can't do the same to California.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
Damn shame we can't do the same to California.

are you really bashing the 12th largest economy in the world?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
Act of God

Quote:
and other testosterone-fueled thugs, that is
psst, your insecurities are showing

Old 02-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #14
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
are you really bashing the 12th largest economy in the world?
Down from the 8th in what, 2-3 years?

Yup.

Keep cheerleading!!

California: where a man can't carry his groceries home in a plastic bag, but he can marry the man putting those groceries in an organic free-grazing grass fed environmentally responsible burlap sack.

Last edited by 5ynd1cat3; 02-11-2014 at 03:01 PM.
5ynd1cat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
Quote:

What kind of Neanderthal loses his mind while posting in PT? Oh, that's right, you do, with every single worthless post you make.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #16
Act of God

So at some point are we going to start frowning upon people who automatically default to racism/sexism/etc when they mess up? We see it from every level from the NCAA to the presidency.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #17
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
^ no.

but we need to. racism isn't an excuse in this case. he should have just said his temper got the best of him. thats a hell of a lot more respectable than saying, "he called me a _______" and it later getting out that you lied.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #18
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
psst, your insecurities are showing
Which ones, Sigmund?

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #19
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
What kind of Neanderthal loses his mind while posting in PT? Oh, that's right, you do, with every single worthless post you make.
Careful. I might tell you to go back to Africa.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #20
Act of God

Quote:
Careful. I might tell you to go back to Africa.
or call him a piece of crap, same thing right?