E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #721
E46inthe206

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
So my mechanic installed the coils for me. The rear looks good and I'm sure will settle (245 on 9.5, unrolled fenders), but I still think they should be lower.. (maybe after settling?). I'm wondering about the front though (225 on 8.5, unrolled fenders) - It looks way too high. He said he's sure everything is where it's supposed to be and I should just break it in for a little more drop. He also said they're maxed out. Which is what bothers me, I've seen pictures of cars way lower than this. He's sure that the shocks are sitting good. Can anyone help me out? My wheels are 18's.

Also, after driving off from the shop, I noticed some noises coming from the front suspension when I turn the wheel left and right. Kind of sounds like rubber but I think it's too "poppy" to be rubber. Anyone have an idea of what this may be?

I'll post a picture tomorrow at some point, after I've driven around a bit more.

Last edited by E46inthe206; 02-15-2014 at 08:50 PM.
E46inthe206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #722
E46inthe206

I posted off my phone but I'll post a few pictures off my computer when I have the chance.

Edit*

Last edited by E46inthe206; 02-15-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #723
sm240

My Ride: 95 240sx
What are the tire specs ? Front looks pretty skinny from the picture.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
sm240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #724
E46inthe206

Mentioned in above post. Rears are 245/35 and fronts are 225/35.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #725
E46inthe206

So I think the cracking noise is due to the helper spring not being compressed or something? Since the front is maxed out.
Will this noise always be there at low speeds?
Old 02-15-2014, 10:36 PM   #726
Linx

My Ride: '02 BMW 325iT
Question to E46inthe206. Did you have to use spacers?
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #727
E46inthe206

Nope, I am not running any spacers.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #728
Linx

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46inthe206 View Post
Nope, I am not running any spacers.
Do you know what's the width and offset of your wheels? And do you have good clearance?
Old 02-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #729
E46inthe206

Yeah the fronts are 8.5 et35 and rears are 9.5 et45. I have good clearance. The OP I think mentioned he had or has the same issue.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:55 AM   #730
Linx

OK I know it's late but I'm finally gonna start my install in the morning. I didn't receive any install instructions with my kit but I will list what I remember from this thread.

#1- Use the stock washer and place it between the shock mount and top of the shock. Does this apply for both front and rear?

#2- Make sure helper spring is on top

#3- On the rear, use the top rubber mount and put at bottom of spring. Get rid of original bottom mount.

Other then that everything is pretty much straight forward. Did I miss anything or can anyone give some helpful tips?
Old 02-17-2014, 12:36 AM   #731
sm240

Make sure the front bottom strut pins are all the way down
Tool for the nut on the top of the strut
For the rear just unbolt the bottom of the strut and push down HARD on the control arm so you can free the spring. A friend helps here
Gl

Old 02-17-2014, 02:30 AM   #732
E46inthe206

Quote:
So my mechanic installed the coils for me. The rear looks good and I'm sure will settle (245 on 9.5, unrolled fenders), but I still think they should be lower.. (maybe after settling?). I'm wondering about the front though (225 on 8.5, unrolled fenders) - It looks way too high. He said he's sure everything is where it's supposed to be and I should just break it in for a little more drop. He also said they're maxed out. Which is what bothers me, I've seen pictures of cars way lower than this. He's sure that the shocks are sitting good. Can anyone help me out? My wheels are 18's.

Also, after driving off from the shop, I noticed some noises coming from the front suspension when I turn the wheel left and right. Kind of sounds like rubber but I think it's too "poppy" to be rubber. Anyone have an idea of what this may be?

Anyone? I'm still hearing pops at low speed turns and even when I'm turning the wheel at a stop. I'm hearing these pops about 75% through a full turn of the wheel, and on the way back around as well. Maybe even when I'm going over a bump? I think I might have heard it then as well.

My front is maxed out but I swear I should be able to get lower.. maybe 1/2 inch.
Could these two issues be related to each other?

Thanks in advance.

After a day of driving (Also have a CF strut bar from ECS coming in this week) -

Last edited by E46inthe206; 02-17-2014 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #733
Linx

OK so I got mine on today. First thing I'll mention is regarding the main concern I had about clearance. I have 245/40/19-8.5 et35 and 265/30/19 - 9.5 et43. Got the fronts on first and have about 3 - 5 mm clearance . Couldn't even stick a finger in between. Spun the wheel and no rubbing on the coil. The back had about a finger worth of clearance. Installation itself was simple and smooth. Just ran into a couple of hiccups along the way. Even with the spring compressor cranked to the safety limit there was still tension. So just ended up going around the corner to the Firestone shop and dude there hooked me up for free and took them off for me with their machine. He had the same issue with the spring but the machine was mounted and he used an impact gun to release the nut. Strut dropped to the ground but didn't matter cuz they are going to the trash anyways. Other issue I ran into was Tightening the nut back the strut assembly. Figured that out and the rest went smooth. The back was another story. Install was easy and smooth but it was the disassembly of my cargo area (I have a touring). It was crazy the amount of stuff that has to be removed just to unmount the shock at top. That took way longer then the actual install of the rear.
I'm happy with the ride, I wanna lower the front and back some more but how the hell are you supposed to be able to fit the wrench in the back? The front I have set with four threads from the bottom and back is all the way up.

One issue I'm having is the right side front is sitting lower then the left side. I adjusted the left side about 2 or a little more threads and it's still not even. There's about 1/2" of difference.

So far the drop hasn't settled into my eyes yet. Granted it hasn't even been a full day yet and it got dark by the time I finished. But I can tell it's lower just by standing next to it. The wheel gaps are smaller but still there, so definitely going lower.

Just wanted to share this and hopefully can help someone as well.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #734
E46inthe206

^Nice! Got any pictures?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #735
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:

I'll post a picture tomorrow at some point, after I've driven around a bit more.
Popping noise will most likely be your top mounts. Make sure he has the housing seated correctly in the hub.
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #736
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linx View Post
OK so I got mine on today. First thing I'll mention is regarding the main concern I had about clearance. I have 245/40/19-8.5 et35 and 265/30/19 - 9.5 et43. Got the fronts on first and have about 3 - 5 mm clearance . Couldn't even stick a finger in between. Spun the wheel and no rubbing on the coil. The back had about a finger worth of clearance. Installation itself was simple and smooth. Just ran into a couple of hiccups along the way. Even with the spring compressor cranked to the safety limit there was still tension. So just ended up going around the corner to the Firestone shop and dude there hooked me up for free and took them off for me with their machine. He had the same issue with the spring but the machine was mounted and he used an impact gun to release the nut. Strut dropped to the ground but didn't matter cuz they are going to the trash anyways. Other issue I ran into was Tightening the nut back the strut assembly. Figured that out and the rest went smooth. The back was another story. Install was easy and smooth but it was the disassembly of my cargo area (I have a touring). It was crazy the amount of stuff that has to be removed just to unmount the shock at top. That took way longer then the actual install of the rear.
I'm happy with the ride, I wanna lower the front and back some more but how the hell are you supposed to be able to fit the wrench in the back? The front I have set with four threads from the bottom and back is all the way up.

One issue I'm having is the right side front is sitting lower then the left side. I adjusted the left side about 2 or a little more threads and it's still not even. There's about 1/2" of difference.

So far the drop hasn't settled into my eyes yet. Granted it hasn't even been a full day yet and it got dark by the time I finished. But I can tell it's lower just by standing next to it. The wheel gaps are smaller but still there, so definitely going lower.

Just wanted to share this and hopefully can help someone as well.
Make sure the coilover is seated correctly in the hub. That make give you a difference in height.
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #737
Linx

Quote:
^Nice! Got any pictures?
Once I make the adjustments, I'll take some pics. Yesterday I was getting tired and it got dark so I didn't bother putting the cargo area back together. that's part of today's project. I also need to replace a window regulator and then the wash her. So once all done I'll post some pics.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #738
Linx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@TSS View Post
Make sure the coilover is seated correctly in the hub. That make give you a difference in height.
That's one of the things I checked. But I will check again today.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #739
sm240

Ran her at the local autox yesterday, mostly for shits and giggles, respectable placement... 1sec behind brz, and wrx so.... Not to mention zero tread, she did well in my eyes Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1392664278.079183.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	546830

Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #740
E46inthe206

Forgot to use washers at the top.. You should include some with the kit..